Purdue Envy

Ugh. Without even discussing Painter’s massive in-State haul going into next season (Furst, Kauffman), Purdue is playing excellent basketball THIS year starting 3 freshman.   

So, for those who think IU may just play better with some of the younger guys, I believe the sooner we give the frosh on our team this year some time, not only will it help for next year, but this year’s team could finish with a little spark.  

Still like the following as a shakeup lineup:

TJD

Race

Hunter

Aarman

Lander

We are 11-9.  Change it up.  Let’s see. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really want to cause yourself some pain, take a look at Painter's results his first 4 years at PU. I don't really have an opinion at this point of whether CAM is the "right" guy or not (seems to change each game we play), but it's clear we could be in a better position than we're currently in after 4 years.

The current situation when looking at Purdue vs. IU is, in part, due to the solid job that Painter has done over the years.  However, the much more significant factor is that IU has regressed significantly as a program.  It's not an irreversible condition.  But, a turnaround needs to happen soon. 

Purdue will have a hard time taking over as the 'flagship' program of the state unless they win a National Championship.  That said, there could be a time soon, if it is not already here, that recruits will see IU and Purdue as equals in the '2nd tier' of Power 5 programs.  

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Purdue has had good teams and good coaches before...not like this is something new...

But they'll never take over as a flagship of anything...

Don't underestimate the impact that time has on perceptions.  We have a generation growing up that will perceive Wisconsin as a better basketball program than Indiana.  To someone growing up in the 70's and 80's, that would have been perceived as laughable.

The reality is that, IU is on the verge of falling out of Tier 1 status (and Tier 1 is already a step below Blue Blood).  It's not a stretch at all to say that MSU, UM, and OSU have surpassed us in the pecking order of Big Ten Basketball.  Wisconsin, Purdue, and Maryland are the core of the Tier 2 group in the Big Ten.  IU is still associated more with the first group because of our past success.  But, save for the Zeller years, that was a generation ago.  Today's youth are much more likely to associate us with the second group than the first. 

If that continues for another generation, in 2045 people are not going to care that IU won a National Championship in 1987,  To top it off, it's entirely possible that Gonzaga or Baylor goes undefeated this season, which will cost us a significant chunk of the mystique we have left.

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Don't underestimate the impact that time has on perceptions.  We have a generation growing up that will perceive Wisconsin as a better basketball program than Indiana.  To someone growing up in the 70's and 80's, that would have been perceived as laughable.

The reality is that, IU is on the verge of falling out of Tier 1 status (and Tier 1 is already a step below Blue Blood).  It's not a stretch at all to say that MSU, UM, and OSU have surpassed us in the pecking order of Big Ten Basketball.  Wisconsin, Purdue, and Maryland are the core of the Tier 2 group in the Big Ten.  IU is still associated more with the first group because of our past success.  But, save for the Zeller years, that was a generation ago.  Today's youth are much more likely to associate us with the second group than the first. 

If that continues for another generation, in 2045 people are not going to care that IU won a National Championship in 1987,  To top it off, it's entirely possible that Gonzaga or Baylor goes undefeated this season, which will cost us a significant chunk of the mystique we have left.

Until Wisconsin actually wins something, the only people who believe that will be Wisconsin fans. Oh wait...I forgot their banner in 1941 😲

You can't look at the history of college basketball with the name "Indiana" coming up a lot...I know in this day and age of instant gratification needs that building the foundation of something isn't popular, but I truly believe that's what it's going to take to get us back on top...We can play the shell game with coaches for another 20 years, but there are no guarantees...I'm gonna give the guy we've got a full chance...

Purdue coaches have historically had long leashes...Keady was there, what? 25 years and never went to a FF? Think an IU coach would have lasted that long? 

The point of debate is the Purdue will somehow wrest the state "flagship" banner away from Indiana...Not going to happen...Didn't happen with the Rick Mount teams, the Joe Dingle Berry Carroll teams, the Glenn Robinson teams, and the Robbie Hummel teams.

And losing a couple of recruits to Porkchop isn't going to make it happen now...

We know and see the style of team and play Archie produces. To me it looks just like 95 percent of college basketball today. Indiana used to be a unique brand. Do we want to be like the rest or be unique or special. I think Tom Allen is a unique and special individual. That same guy is out there for the admin to hire as our leader for the basketball program. I don't want to see any more hiring committees formed to find us a coach. Big time waste of money we can use for the coach. We have an AD that has lived what it takes be IU again. The question is, what does the administration want us to be. The focus needs to be on the top of the food chain at IU. Watch the actions not the words. We can be Unique again. We just need to freedom to do so.  

I hate this thread. No offense to the OP.

That said, my 12 yo nephew ask us to buy him Purdue apparel for his 12th birthday. I wouldn’t of course. At his bday party, he opened a few with Purdue items. I ask him if he’s lost his young mind already. His response was something like, c’mon! IU sucks man! Purdue always kicks their butt and IU is hot garbage!

🤢 

15 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I hate this thread. No offense to the OP.

That said, my 12 yo nephew ask us to buy him Purdue apparel for his 12th birthday. I wouldn’t of course. At his bday party, he opened a few with Purdue items. I ask him if he’s lost his young mind already. His response was something like, c’mon! IU sucks man! Purdue always kicks their butt and IU is hot garbage!

🤢 

That's what I'm talking about when I say we are losing a generation.  Once that generation has children of their own, if there is nothing to differentiate the two programs, then your nephew will raise his kids to be Purdue fans as well.  

Frankly, the current state of PU's basketball program is where many of us expected ours to be after 3 or 4 years.  Not to say they're considered contenders for national prominence at this point, but they're sadly far closer to it than we are.  Many point to the fact that our team is on an upward trajectory, but so is theirs and probably at a faster rate. 

Teams throughout the conference and country are constantly looking to and working to get better - we are not operating in a vacuum.  As pointed out in the recruiting slowing thread, teams like IL have been hitting other countries/territories hard while it seems we have been satisfied with just recruiting Indiana and only having success with 100+ rated out of state players.  That is not a recipe for re-joining elite status.  It may not be a recipe for even getting out of mid-pack B10 results.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The current situation when looking at Purdue vs. IU is, in part, due to the solid job that Painter has done over the years.  However, the much more significant factor is that IU has regressed significantly as a program.  It's not an irreversible condition.  But, a turnaround needs to happen soon. 

Purdue will have a hard time taking over as the 'flagship' program of the state unless they win a National Championship.  That said, there could be a time soon, if it is not already here, that recruits will see IU and Purdue as equals in the '2nd tier' of Power 5 programs.  

Hit the nail on the head here. 

Archived