Purdue Envy

I remember back a few years ago when I started a thread predicting that Purdue was a FF team.  I got chastised.  They made it to the EE.

I have said it over and over...Purdue does not bother me.  For the most part they got Indiana kids searching for the same goal that we are.  We need some reality checks around here.  Right here, right f**king now...the Boilers are better than us.  I have no problem saying that or accepting it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They're 14-8, and we're 11-9 overall, with a slightly tougher schedule...They're 9-6 in conference, and we're 6-7...I don't think that qualifies as miles ahead of where we are...

1. Not sure where you got "miles" out of my post, but the mere fact that we haven't beaten them since God knows how long is very significant IMO. 

2. Their young players are every bit as good as ours, arguably.  Their incoming recruiting class runs rings around ours.

I've mentioned before that sometimes you have to step back and consider what other team's fans think of our coach/team.  I don't know of very many that think we're a waking giant at this point.  We all dislike PU, but most can acknowledge their coach is pretty good and their team plays tough and consistent (at least much more so than our team).

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I remember back a few years ago when I started a thread predicting that Purdue was a FF team.  I got chastised.  They made it to the EE.

I have said it over and over...Purdue does not bother me.  For the most part they got Indiana kids searching for the same goal that we are.  We need some reality checks around here.  Right here, right f**king now...the Boilers are better than us.  I have no problem saying that or accepting it.

I dislike PU as much as anyone, but the head to head matchups speaks truth. 

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

1. Not sure where you got "miles" out of my post, but the mere fact that we haven't beaten them since God knows how long is very significant IMO. 

2. Their young players are every bit as good as ours, arguably.  Their incoming recruiting class runs rings around ours.

I've mentioned before that sometimes you have to step back and consider what other team's fans think of our coach/team.  I don't know of very many that think we're a waking giant at this point.  We all dislike PU, but most can acknowledge their coach is pretty good and their team plays tough and consistent (at least much more so than our team).

You said, "Far closer to it than we are." Doesn't sound like you're talking inches to me...

Both teams have good freshmen classes...As far as next year goes, I'd rather have a mature transfer (Parker Stewart) than Kaufman, and a kid (Duncomb) that severely outplayed one of their top kids (Furst). I'm not even going to bring Lander into it.

And I could care less what other team's fans think of our coach and team. 

In the past 9 years, we've finished with a better B1G record than they have 4 times, even through a coaching change. They're ahead of us this year, but the season isn't over yet. But historically, it ain't even close. You and I both know that.

Purdue has a solid program that waffles between good and mediocre. I've said that before...But to think they're going to be the flagship of the state is laughable...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You said, "Far closer to it than we are." Doesn't sound like you're talking inches to me...

Both teams have good freshmen classes...As far as next year goes, I'd rather have a mature transfer (Parker Stewart) than Kaufman, and a kid (Duncomb) that severely outplayed one of their top kids (Furst). I'm not even going to bring Lander into it.

In the past 9 years, we've finished with a better B1G record than they have 4 times, even through a coaching change. They're ahead of us this year, but the season isn't over yet. But historically, it ain't even close. You and I both know that.

Purdue has a solid program that waffles between good and mediocre. I've said that before...But to think they're going to be the flagship of the state is laughable...

LOL...they will always be "Little Brother" to me.  But even lil bros succeed.  

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

If you really want to cause yourself some pain, take a look at Painter's results his first 4 years at PU. I don't really have an opinion at this point of whether CAM is the "right" guy or not (seems to change each game we play), but it's clear we could be in a better position than we're currently in after 4 years.

Difference was that Painter came in a year early as the coach in waiting and all he did was go out and recruit.  Also Painter runs the same things that Keady did so it was a seamless transition.

1 minute ago, rico said:

LOL...they will always be "Little Brother" to me.  But even lil bros succeed.  

Like I said, I'm not saying they're terrible...They're a solid program...but they've never won crap...

We can sit here all day and pick out years where one program was better than they other...But when it comes down to it, we're Indiana...We've got some medals on our chest...They're Purdue...they have a 20 point shellacking by UCLA in an NC game and a Final 4 team from 1980...

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They're 14-8, and we're 11-9 overall, with a slightly tougher schedule...They're 9-6 in conference, and we're 6-7...I don't think that qualifies as miles ahead of where we are...

It could also be said that you could have two more losses (maybe just one because MSU is awful) and we’d have one more win with the Nebraska home game due to Covid but yeah it’s not miles apart this year. I think that can change next year assuming TJD leaves though. 

25 minutes ago, rico said:

They have been and are the better team and they are much better coached. The facts don't lie!

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stewart over Kaufman? I know I’m biased but no way I make that trade. Why are people harping so much on one matchup between Furst and Duncomb like it means Duncomb is clearly better? It was one game. I like Duncomb and he’ll be solid but I still think Furst is the better player. 

Curious why you picked an arbitrary number like 9 years?

5 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Ugh. Without even discussing Painter’s massive in-State haul going into next season (Furst, Kauffman), Purdue is playing excellent basketball THIS year starting 3 freshman.   

"Excellent?" Compared to us, maybe. They'd probably look less impressive if we were actually any good. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Stewart over Kaufman? I know I’m biased but no way I make that trade. Why are people harping so much on one matchup between Furst and Duncomb like it means Duncomb is clearly better? It was one game. I like Duncomb and he’ll be solid but I still think Furst is the better player. 

For next year? You're talking a man against a kid...In the B1G, experience counts...look up at the teams above you right now...I'll put my money on a kid that's played in the ACC and had another year of college ball over a freshman any day...

As for Duncomb and Furst, the domination was so complete, what else can we think?

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Like I said, I'm not saying they're terrible...They're a solid program...but they've never won crap...

We can sit here all day and pick out years where one program was better than they other...But when it comes down to it, we're Indiana...We've got some medals on our chest...They're Purdue...they have a 20 point shellacking by UCLA in an NC game and a Final 4 team from 1980...

@Stlboiler23 you laughed at this post...But it's all substantiated fact, is it not?

You probably should have picked the sad or confused emoji...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For next year? You're talking a man against a kid...In the B1G, experience counts...look up at the teams above you right now...I'll put my money on a kid that's played in the ACC and had another year of college ball over a freshman any day...

As for Duncomb and Furst, the domination was so complete, what else can we think?

I admire your optimism and conviction....

Purdue is ahead of us at the moment but what they have right now is not what I would aspire for our program to be.  When people talk about Indiana being just another program, Purdue would be the type of program they are talking about.  They are just on the higher end of that tier where an Iowa or Minnesota is on the lower end.

I think the thing that perturbed a bunch of fans is that we were definitely still in that upper tier when Bob Knight was fired but there was a plan pushed by the school to "deemphasize athletics" (read: don't have a basketball program and coach that they felt was bigger than the school).  So we have systematically seen the program torn down.  I would argue that being Purdue is exactly what the people running IU want.  The fans want Kansas and North Carolina.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Purdue is ahead of us at the moment but what they have right now is what I would aspire for our program to be.  When people talk about Indiana being just another program, Purdue would be the type of program they are talking about.  They are just on the higher end of that tier where an Iowa or Minnesota is on the lower end.

I think the thing that perturbed a bunch of fans is that we were definitely still in that upper tier when Bob Knight was fired but there was a plan pushed by the school to "deemphasize athletics" (read: don't have a basketball program and coach that they felt was bigger than the school).  So we have systematically seen the program torn down.  I would argue that being Purdue is exactly what the people running IU want.  The fans want Kansas and North Carolina.

I would rather be like UVA and Villanova

Archived