Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

Really, really good win. Nice to see IU pull away down the stretch and make that a double digit win. We're a different team when our guards make open shots, and as @Hoosierhoopster as said all year we finally had the right guys taking the shots. 

Between Franklin, Al and Hunter, and Leal when he plays, we have some shooters. I was a little surprised Leal didn't play at all. I thought with Minnesota's size, meaning Galloway couldn't really get to the rim, that Leal would have been the better play to hit open 3's. But it's a really good game if that's all I can complain about (except for the turnovers).

Once again, Archie is great at drawing up plays. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The NET does not like us.  We are ranked 50th.  Teams below us in NET that would get in ahead of us if the tournament started today.

• Utah State
  • North Carolina
  • Possibly Syracuse

Say we go 1-3 the rest of the way in conference to finish 8-10 and 13-12 overall headed into the BTT.   

Maryland goes 3-1 tp finish 10-10 in conference.  The NET likes Maryland a lot better than us.  They are currently 36th.  They would get in before us.  

Minnesota also goes 3-1 down the stretch to finish 9-10 in conference and 16-10 overall.  They have a similar NET to us, a better conference record, and a better overall record.  

Is the committee really going to take a 13-13 or 14-13 IU squad as the 10th team from the B1G?  

Or, do they choose both Loyola and Drake, a currently 11-4 SMU squad, St. Louis and/or Richmond as at large choices from the A-10, a Duke team with a lower NET but a similar record to ours, a 16-17 win St. John's team, etc.  I could go on and on finding at-large candidates that could get in ahead of us if we stumble to the finish line

We need 2 of the las 4 regular season games to finish 9-9.  Otherwise we will need 2 wins in the BTT, which we are certainly capable of.  But, I don't want to have to count on that.

You didn't describe stumbling, you described the bottom falling out and a bunch of other teams doing everything they need to down the stretch. 

Also, the NET is one of several metrics. It happens to be about the only one we don't perform well in. Our SOS is great. Our KenPom and BPI are really strong. 

Are you attempting to put forth an even look at it or a scenario where we don't get in?

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

15-12, I won’t be worried at all.  14-13,  I’ll be a bit worried, but we’d probably make it for the brand name alone.  13-14, we will be biting our fingernails on Selection Sunday and won’t have any right to complain if we don’t make it.

There is zero chance we will be getting in at 13-14.  Yes, the committee will want a team to represent the state.  But, Purdue is pretty much a lock at this point.  To go 13-14, we would have to lose all 4 remaining B1G games (assuming the 2 games are not made up) and then go 1-1 in the BTT,  A 7-11 conference record is not going to do the job.  

7 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Here is the photo of TJD and Leal. With Lander in the far goal getting his shots up. 

2EE51EAF-39C5-4051-A833-6514FD4C1C25.jpeg

Nice to see that out of Lander and Leal. Lander could use a ton of work on that shot. Leal could have taken his basketball shoes home and pouted for not getting to play. Of course it’s nice to see TJD being a leader. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You didn't describe stumbling, you described the bottom falling out and a bunch of other teams doing everything they need to down the stretch. 

Also, the NET is one of several metrics. It happens to be about the only one we don't perform well in. Our SOS is great. Our KenPom and BPI are really strong. 

Are you attempting to put forth an even look at it or a scenario where we don't get in?

I'm attempting to brace IU fans from disappointment because there are a lot of different ways 14 wins falls short.  Finish 9-9 in conference and don't lose our first game of the BTT to Maryland or Minnesota, and I think we are safe.   It's worth noting that both those teams have a more favorable schedule than we do down the stretch.   

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm attempting to brace IU fans from disappointment because there are a lot of different ways 14 wins falls short.  Finish 9-9 in conference and don't lose our first game of the BTT to Maryland or Minnesota, and I think we are safe.   It's worth noting that both those teams have a more favorable schedule than we do down the stretch.   

Sure, but 14 wins would be borderline bottom falling out. I think we all get that would be problematic. That's also not anywhere near exclusive to IU, especially this year. 

When people say we are in, my guess is most of them mean if it started today. We don't need teams in front of us to fall apart, we just need to keep our resume in similar shape it's in today and we will make it. You're taking that line of thinking and basically saying the bottom will fall out. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is zero chance we will be getting in at 13-14.  Yes, the committee will want a team to represent the state.  But, Purdue is pretty much a lock at this point.  To go 13-14, we would have to lose all 4 remaining B1G games (assuming the 2 games are not made up) and then go 1-1 in the BTT,  A 7-11 conference record is not going to do the job.  

I agree with that.  What about this scenario: We beat UM and lose to MSU, Rutgers, and Purdue to get to 8-10 in conference play, then lose in the first round of the BTT to say, Maryland, to finish 13-13?

I say 50/50 shot we’d get in with that resume.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but 14 wins would be borderline bottom falling out. I think we all get that would be problematic. That's also not anywhere near exclusive to IU, especially this year. 

When people say we are in, my guess is most of them mean if it started today. We don't need teams in front of us to fall apart, we just need to keep our resume in similar shape it's in today and we will make it. You're taking that line of thinking and basically saying the bottom will fall out. 

I think if we finish the regular season 14-11 we would be in.  I don't think we get in if we are only 1 game above .500 but will being 3 games above it.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Anyone who would be shocked if IU only wins 2 more games the rest of the season hasn’t been paying attention.  I think they should be able to win 3 more but I’m not going to be surprised at all if they don’t.  Not a single gimme game left for this team, and 3-2 seems like kind of a tall task.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Is losing to Michigan at home, and Purdue & Rutgers on the road really the 'bottom falling out'?  Vegas will expect us to lose those 3.  That leaves us at 13-12 going into the BTT.  At that point, we would likely be the 9 seed playing 8th seeded Maryland or the 10 seed playing 7th seeded Rutgers.  Two matchups we very well could lose and it not be considered the 'bottom falling out'.   We would be 13-13 by losing 4 games where we were the underdog.  

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree with that.  What about this scenario: We beat UM and lose to MSU, Rutgers, and Purdue to get to 8-10 in conference play, then lose in the first round of the BTT to say, Maryland, to finish 13-13?

I say 50/50 shot we’d get in with that resume.

Maryland definitely gets a bid over us in that scenario, and Minnesota could as well depending on how they finish out the season.  I'm just not feeling 10 teams from the B1G.  In your scenario, that Maryland game would likely be a play-in game for a bid.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Maryland definitely gets a bid over us in that scenario, and Minnesota could as well depending on how they finish out the season.  I'm just not feeling 10 teams from the B1G.  In your scenario, that Maryland game would likely be a play-in game for a bid.  

They look at each teams resume as a single entity.  They won't look at a conference and say we have to many teams from a conference.  One year the Big East had 11 of the 14 teams make it.  So it is not like we are just competing with just Maryland and Minnesota

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is losing to Michigan at home, and Purdue & Rutgers on the road really the 'bottom falling out'?  Vegas will expect us to lose those 3.  That leaves us at 13-12 going into the BTT.  At that point, we would likely be the 9 seed playing 8th seeded Maryland or the 10 seed playing 7th seeded Rutgers.  Two matchups we very well could lose and it not be considered the 'bottom falling out'.   We would be 13-13 by losing 4 games where we were the underdog.  

Considering you're talking about a team that hasn't lost more than two in a row all year, all of a sudden losing four in a row, yeah, I think your scenario qualifies as bottom falling out and seems off base with reality. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

They look at each teams resume as a single entity.  They won't look at a conference and say we have to many teams from a conference.  One year the Big East had 11 of the 14 teams make it.  So it is not like we are just competing with just Maryland and Minnesota

They say that Scott, but when push comes to shove, if you have IU sitting at a 50 NET as the B1G Ten's 10th team and Utah State sitting at a 51 NET as the Mountain West's 3rd team, they are going to spread the wealth.    

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They say that Scott, but when push comes to shove, if you have IU sitting at a 50 NET as the B1G Ten's 10th team and Utah State sitting at a 51 NET as the Mountain West's 3rd team, they are going to spread the wealth.    

Again, why the fixation on NET?

Also.... Your scenario where we beat MSU then lose out has about a 5% chance of happening using BPI to determine odds for each game. It's an incredibly unlikely scenario for the amount you keep bringing it up to dampen any amount of optimism people have about us making the tournament. 

EDIT: just under 9% chance of your scenario happening. 

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am going by people who have went through the mock selection process in Indy.  They said they never one time mentioned what conference a team is in

To me this game and MSU are must wins. Glad the offense seems to be picking up and at a good time. 

was there an announcement of a new channel for game threads? I never go to the home page. I have the general basketball forum and recruiting forum bookmarked specifically to bypass the homepage. Lol. 

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

To me this game and MSU are must wins. Glad the offense seems to be picking up and at a good time. 

was there an announcement of a new channel for game threads? I never go to the home page. I have the general basketball forum and recruiting forum bookmarked specifically to bypass the homepage. Lol. 

Yep... Here

6 hours ago, IUskim said:

Here is the photo of TJD and Leal. With Lander in the far goal getting his shots up. 

2EE51EAF-39C5-4051-A833-6514FD4C1C25.jpeg

Good on the Freshmen for putting in the work and good on our star player being humble enough to be a rebounder for the freshmen.  That's leadership.  Both of these things are what this team/program needs.

I am going to keep all my comments on the game positive, I think there were definitely some areas to complain about but they have been covered.

1.  I believe the Miller still has the team's ear based on play last night.  He called them out for being soft and you could tell they got the message.  They may have even overcompensated a bit to follow what their coach said.  I thought both teams were overly physical in the first half but the refs let it go.  That being said, you could tell they took the comments to heart.

2.  We have shooters on this team as long as they are put in position to be successful.  Durham, Armaan, and Hunter can all put the ball in the basket from deep.  It seems like we tend to hit 3's when two situations occur:  they have feet set and are ready for shot and it is typically earlier in the shot clock.  That good shooting should help open driving lanes and unclog the lane for Trayce.  I think we need guys to stop being afraid to pull the trigger early in the shot clock.  If you are set and have a good shot, take it.  Particularly if you are one of the three I mentioned.  I think we sometimes turn down shots early in the shot clock because of confidence or whatever and then we end up putting up a scrambling shot as the clock winds down that is a worse shot then ones we have given up earlier in the clock.  We are shooting well lately guys, so shoot it.

3.  Hunter after the game said he felt like he let the team down when he was suspended and he was trying to do what he coukd to show he is invested.  Again, as noted above, that is a program building attitude and example.  Yes, he should not have done whatever he did but being accountable for your mistake to coach and teammates is a big deal.

If I were looking for positive signals to the future, those would be things I would be looking at.  I think that this year has really shown how thin the line is between winning and losing.  The "little" things are not little.  It seems like some on the team may be getting that message.  Hopefully it pays off.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Good on the Freshmen for putting in the work and good on our star player being humble enough to be a rebounder for the freshmen.  That's leadership.  Both of these things are what this team/program needs.

I am going to keep all my comments on the game positive, I think there were definitely some areas to complain about but they have been covered.

1.  I believe the Miller still has the team's ear based on play last night.  He called them out for being soft and you could tell they got the message.  They may have even overcompensated a bit to follow what their coach said.  I thought both teams were overly physical in the first half but the refs let it go.  That being said, you could tell they took the comments to heart.

2.  We have shooters on this team as long as they are put in position to be successful.  Durham, Armaan, and Hunter can all put the ball in the basket from deep.  It seems like we tend to hit 3's when two situations occur:  they have feet set and are ready for shot and it is typically earlier in the shot clock.  That good shooting should help open driving lanes and unclog the lane for Trayce.  I think we need guys to stop being afraid to pull the trigger early in the shot clock.  If you are set and have a good shot, take it.  Particularly if you are one of the three I mentioned.  I think we sometimes turn down shots early in the shot clock because of confidence or whatever and then we end up putting up a scrambling shot as the clock winds down that is a worse shot then ones we have given up earlier in the clock.  We are shooting well lately guys, so shoot it.

3.  Hunter after the game said he felt like he let the team down when he was suspended and he was trying to do what he coukd to show he is invested.  Again, as noted above, that is a program building attitude and example.  Yes, he should not have done whatever he did but being accountable for your mistake to coach and teammates is a big deal.

If I were looking for positive signals to the future, those would be things I would be looking at.  I think that this year has really shown how thin the line is between winning and losing.  The "little" things are not little.  It seems like some on the team may be getting that message.  Hopefully it pays off.

We saw a glimpse of our defense leading to offense. The two transition 3s from Armaan and Al were beautiful to watch. 

Seems we always say we'd like to get out into transition more, but for some reason, don't...

Easy offense that way...

Archived