Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

As an aside, my biggest complaint about last night's game is moving the post game thread to this forum. Kind of a pain to flip back and forth from here to the Gen discussion board today. 

Thanks for the input. It is something we are experimenting with, so please share your feedback.....for real. 

Late comment on Minn OSU brawl.  I saw it from Row ten behind the closest basket.  Disturbing to see it happen.  Some fans ran onto court, too.  Some Gophers fought like street thugs.  But, frustrations were very high because refs lost control of the game and let Luke Witte get away with several obvious dirty fouls. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah that graphic was alarming, but what can we learn from it? People want to put our slow starts on Archie, but my goodness when your best player is starting 0fer every game what is he supposed to do? 

BTW, the same people who blame Archie for the slow starts think next year won't be any better because said best player is surely NBA bound. 

Do you think our teams are locked in and focused and ready to play from the tip or do you think for some reason they aren’t clamping down and ready for the opening bell? If so is that something Archie can fix? I’m not saying that is the case...I’m not blaming Archie necessarily but he needs to push the right buttons to get this team to its fullest potential. He seemed to push some of the right buttons calling out guys (Jerome) and addressing our softness....so maybe he made some good adjustments. Didn’t hurt Minnesota’s big man was moving at the pace of a turtle because he was gimpy. It was a good matchup for Trayce...hope he builds off that fast start.

Just now, dgambill said:

Do you think our teams are locked in and focused and ready to play from the tip or do you think for some reason they aren’t clamping down and ready for the opening bell? If so is that something Archie can fix? I’m not saying that is the case...I’m not blaming Archie necessarily but he needs to push the right buttons to get this team to its fullest potential. He seemed to push some of the right buttons calling out guys (Jerome) and addressing our softness....so maybe he made some good adjustments. Didn’t hurt Minnesota’s big man was moving at the pace of a turtle because he was gimpy. It was a good matchup for Trayce...hope he builds off that fast start.

I put most of the being mentally ready for a game on the players. So does Coach Knight, FWIW. 

I can't change someone's mindset, that's on the individual. 

48 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Thanks for the input. It is something we are experimenting with, so please share your feedback.....for real. 

Most boards have a separate game thread room or whatever...so I saw no issue. Kinda cleans up the rest of the board as well. I liked it. Just didn’t know it had moved but once I did no problem with it. I’m liking the new changes. Still would like Archie to have his own thread (and it not to be titled fire Archie) because he is the biggest complaint/topic and would hope to be a catch all about him instead of the discussion on his decisions ability etc being shot gunned all over the board in every thread.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I put most of the being mentally ready for a game on the players. So does Coach Knight, FWIW. 

I can't change someone's mindset, that's on the individual. 

Ok. I agree it’s on the players but your saying Coach Knight had no effect on the mental preparation and readiness of his teams...man that seems to go against all the books of him I read and everything said about the mind games, the lessons he taught, the mental/verbal abuse he used. I think coaches can have an immensely huge impact on kids especially college and under in teaching and showing them how to prepare to play and being ready to play. There will always be some that can’t be reached and teams that struggle but I think it is definitely something that can be improved.

49 minutes ago, John S said:

Late comment on Minn OSU brawl.  I saw it from Row ten behind the closest basket.  Disturbing to see it happen.  Some fans ran onto court, too.  Some Gophers fought like street thugs.  But, frustrations were very high because refs lost control of the game and let Luke Witte get away with several obvious dirty fouls. 

Yep.  That was one bit of MN history I was referring to (along with others like the Jim Dutcher years, and Clem Haskins era).

That brawl was in the early 70's when I was pretty young and didn't follow CBB yet.  I remember my dad describing it in utter disgust.  I believe that is when I first heard the word "groin" (as in "kicked in the groin").

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yep.  That was one bit of MN history I was referring to (along with others like the Jim Dutcher years, and Clem Haskins era).

That brawl was in the early 70's when I was pretty young and didn't follow CBB yet.  I remember my dad describing it in utter disgust.  I believe that is when I first heard the word "groin" (as in "kicked in the groin").

That’s funny.   

1 hour ago, John S said:

Yeah, I remember some dude in a trench coat chasing Allan Hornyak around the court...

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Ok. I agree it’s on the players but your saying Coach Knight had no effect on the mental preparation and readiness of his teams...man that seems to go against all the books of him I read and everything said about the mind games, the lessons he taught, the mental/verbal abuse he used. I think coaches can have an immensely huge impact on kids especially college and under in teaching and showing them how to prepare to play and being ready to play. There will always be some that can’t be reached and teams that struggle but I think it is definitely something that can be improved.

So you're suggesting Archie should use more manipulation and abusive tactics? Am I understanding correctly?

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

...still scratch my head at some substations and how long the leash is for our upperclassman back court 

If you read between the lines, I think Archie addressed the leash issue in last nights post game.  Pretty much everyone can agree that we need Rob to be good to win.  Archie mentioned Rob being a thinker and basically dwelling on things that don't go well.  Archie is trying to bring out the best in Rob, and I think a short leash could shut him down.  A longer leash allows him to build confidence and it seems to be working....fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

If you read between the lines, I think Archie addressed the leash issue in last nights post game.  Pretty much everyone can agree that we need Rob to be good to win.  Archie mentioned Rob being a thinker and basically dwelling on things that don't go well.  Archie is trying to bring out the best in Rob, and I think a short leash could shut him down.  A longer leash allows him to build confidence and it seems to be working....fingers crossed.

I had that thought too when Archie discussed Rob. And frankly, he is right. This team is going no where without Rob because Lander isn't ready. 

14 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I appreciate all of your efforts, so don't really like to complain, but yeah, I'm not a big fan. The game threads themselves are fine in another forum, but the post game threads can go on for days, and flipping between forums is cumbersome. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I appreciate all of your efforts, so don't really like to complain, but yeah, I'm not a big fan. The game threads themselves are fine in another forum, but the post game threads can go on for days, and flipping between forums is cumbersome. 

I  was going to say something, then decided not, but now that I see I'm not the only one, I was super confused by this move.  It's not hard to confuse me, but I never go to this page and didn't realize it had been switched.  I'm kind of thinking I won't go to pre game, game, or post game threads any more just because I don't want to remember to go back and forth.  That will probably make some posters happy to get rid of me!  

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I cannot for the life of me see why that guy is on the air...

He talks in circles, and he kept jabbing at Dave Revsine...I kept waiting for Revsine to go over and knock him out...

Fox sports needs to share with B1G and B1G needs to stop being so cheap.  Take the money they were paying Urban Meyer to show up every now and get some half shaved faces.  

hr_fox_sports22_a_p.jpg

11 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I hope so. I love good Rob...and we absolutely absolutely need good pg play to win. Whatever is in his head...please please work it out. Credit to Archie if he can get Rob to continue to work out his inner demons and play like this the rest of the way. We need an attacking pg! My hope is Khristian stops settling for 3s and starts driving to the hoop too. Kid is athletic enough to finish..just needs the confidence!

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I think having the pregame, game, and post game threads all in the same forum is great. Helps keep the board tiddy. Just my opinion. I also think they can be locked once the game has started, finished, or the next has started...no reason to run on and on. Love this board regardless though!

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fox sports needs to share with B1G and B1G needs to stop being so cheap.  Take the money they were paying Urban Meyer to show up every now and then and get some half shaved faces.  

hr_fox_sports22_a_p.jpg

I don’t know about those two but I’d love to get Sage over here. I know she probably gets paid too much but she is wasted at ESPN.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think having the pregame, game, and post game threads all in the same forum is great. Helps keep the board tiddy. Just my opinion. I also think they can be locked once the game has started, finished, or the next has started...no reason to run on and on. Love this board regardless though!

I'm good with whatever is easiest for the mods, was just curious what others thought. I'm probably missing an easier way to get back to the Gen Discussion board, too, so will look into that. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I had that thought too when Archie discussed Rob. And frankly, he is right. This team is going no where without Rob because Lander isn't ready. 

Agree. I like Lander's potential, especially his court vision and pace, but he hasn't made a shot inside the 3pt line since November. 

This team needs Phinisee to continue to work on it and to figure it out, and Archie knows that. 

Archived