Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I like Lander's potential, especially his court vision and pace, but he hasn't made a shot inside the 3pt line since November. 

This team needs Phinisee to continue to work on it and to figure it out, and Archie knows that. 

What will buoy a player's confidence more than his coach's confidence in him?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What will buoy a player's confidence more than his coach's confidence in him?

Hard to tell...sometimes people just take for granted what the closest to them say. Maybe hearing it from someone outside the team could do it. Say maybe an all time IU great texting or calling him up and letting him know how good he can be and how important he is to our success when he is aggressive and does x,y, and z. Could be someone he looks up to...hard to say. I know ex IU greats reach out to players but maybe it is a current nba player...a Chris Paul I don’t know...to me that is why our nba legacy players are so important...to reach out to our prospects and current kids and help them through tough times.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hard to tell...sometimes people just take for granted what the closest to them say. Maybe hearing it from someone outside the team could do it. Say maybe an all time IU great texting or calling him up and letting him know how good he can be and how important he is to our success when he is aggressive and does x,y, and z. Could be someone he looks up to...hard to say. I know ex IU greats reach out to players but maybe it is a current nba player...a Chris Paul I don’t know...to me that is why our nba legacy players are so important...to reach out to our prospects and current kids and help them through tough times.

Did you watch Archie's post game after Minnesota?

He said he told Rob the day before the game that he didn't care how much he missed, that he wanted him to play defense and distribute the ball and make winning plays for this team. I'm sure that helped Rob's mindset going into the game.

You seem to never want to give CAM credit for anything...

Why is that? Go to the 4:55 here

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He said he told Rob the day before the game that he didn't care how much he missed, that he wanted him to play defense and distribute the ball and make winning plays for this team. I'm sure that helped Rob's mindset going into the game.

That quote really stood out to me. 

I get that we are all less than thrilled with how long it is taking to get the results we want, but if you can isolate the results and look at how we got about things, how Archie approaches leading the team, I just find much to struggle to complain about with the guy. 

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No I haven’t had time to watch his presser. I have no problem giving Archie credit. I’ve said numerous times lately his sets out of time outs and dead ball have been great lately. I said whatever he said and did in sitting Jerome lit a fire under him. That what he did to get better execution from Trayce to start this last game keep doing it. Please chill man. I don’t know why you keep coming at me with this I hate Archie narrative. I’m cautiously optimistic that he can get things turned around. I’m not sold he is the right guy or he has the right kids more importantly to get it done...but I’ve got nothing against him and want him to succeed. It worked this game with Rob...and that is great!! Robs been here 3 years and been up and down the whole time under Archie. I doubt Archie is saying anything any different to him then what he has said before. It isn’t the message sometimes...for some kids it may take a different messenger. Maybe a guy looks up to IT. Maybe you have someone reach out to Thomas and say hey..could talk with him...give him some guidance. He really respects you. This has nothing to do with Archie in me saying that.

For example I had my high school coach and my father constantly get on me about looking for my shot. Deep down I knew i was a good shooter but I worried being the pg that my teammates would be upset if I was to look for my own shot and then what If I missed too much..and many times even after I hit a shot if I missed the next I just looked for others. I was very much a pleaser..I wanted to make people happy. Well it wasn’t until another teams coach came up and talked to me after a game and he told me how good of a shooter I was and how when I knocked down a few shots it made our team impossible to play a zone against and that changed the game for them did it click for me. I went out and over the next few games I played much better. In the end though it was something I still would fall back into my old ways and needed to keep hearing but when it came to my dad or coach I would just shut down. It took hearing from someone else for some reason. That is all I was getting at. I hope Archie does keep pushing the right buttons with these guys. Some teams are so talented and confident they don’t need a lot of coercion but this team and Rob for example seem to need sports therapy lol. 

23 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We’ve only lost one game outside of the top 26 teams in KenPom. Think about that. Maybe we aren’t as bad as we want to believe sometimes. 

To piggy back off that, we are ranked 28th so we've only lost to teams currently ranked higher than us (w/ the NW exception #68). The NW loss hasn't aged well, so it is definitively a bad loss at this point (especially at home), but what you said does put things into better perspective. 

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

To piggy back off that, we are ranked 28th so we've only lost to teams currently ranked higher than us (w/ the NW exception #68). The NW loss hasn't aged well, so it is definitively a bad loss at this point (especially at home), but what you said does put things into better perspective. 

It's really strange. NW started the B1G with wins over MSU, IU and OSU and hasn't won since. Buie has been a no show and Kopp doesn't look like the same player as last year.

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's really strange. NW started the B1G with wins over MSU, IU and OSU and hasn't won since. Buie has been a no show and Kopp doesn't look like the same player as last year.

Kopp is the head scratcher...I saw him hit everything he threw up early...last 4 games his high is 6 points I think...

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My coach told me in middle school that he didn't care how much I missed.  But after I jacked up 9 shots in the first 3 and a half minutes of the game, he took me out and asked me what the hell I was doing.  

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My coach told me in middle school that he didn't care how much I missed.  But after I jacked up 9 shots in the first 3 and a half minutes of the game, he took me out and asked me what the hell I was doing.  

They don’t care how many you miss as long as you don’t shoot lol!

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The only time I lost my cool and responded to a parent.  Freshman coach and the worst shooter of all time has the ball at 3 pt line other team backs way off him Moms yelling like crazy shoot the ball I'm saying next pass next pass. She yells shoot the ball your wide open. From 19 feet 9 inches he throws up a 16 footer that hits our best player coming off a down screen right in the face. I turn to Mom and said not so calmly there is a reason he is wide open!! From that point on I learned how to block the fans out. I see the player every once in a while and we still laugh about it

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The only time I lost my cool and responded to a parent.  Freshman coach and the worst shooter of all time has the ball at 3 pt line other team backs way off him Moms yelling like crazy shoot the ball I'm saying next pass next pass. She yells shoot the ball your wide open. From 19 feet 9 inches he throws up a 16 footer that hits our best player coming off a down screen right in the face. I turn to Mom and said not so calmly there is a reason he is wide open!! From that point on I learned how to block the fans out. I see the player every once in a while and we still laugh about it

Sounds like it was a perfect pass! Gotta be ready to catch the ball coming off that screen lol!🤣

On 2/18/2021 at 5:19 PM, John S said:

Late comment on Minn OSU brawl.  I saw it from Row ten behind the closest basket.  Disturbing to see it happen.  Some fans ran onto court, too.  Some Gophers fought like street thugs.  But, frustrations were very high because refs lost control of the game and let Luke Witte get away with several obvious dirty fouls. 

Thanks. I was too young then.  I wondered what triggered Minnesota.  It’s pretty rare for someone to just start beating on someone else in a game for no reason. I wondered if it was racial.  

I am not defending the actions by the players. They were suspended and rightfully so.  But I was curious what set them off.  

Archived