Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If teams don't play the same amount how will they determine seedings in the BTT.  Say a team goes 10-10 and another team goes 9-9 so I would guess the first thing they look at is head to head.

I assume the same tie-breakers would apply if 3 or 4 teams went 10-10.  Someone will be happy and someone won't.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

I still think we need 15 wins.  2 more in regular season and one in BTT.  14-13 isn't going to cut it.  

I Think we are already in . Would be nice to win a game or two . But it is INDY AND IU  we are  in and I would like to have the tickets!!!!!

This was honestly a really good win. How anyone is saying otherwise is dumbfounding. 

Were there tense moments against another hungry team in a similar situation to us? Of course.  But we won by double digits, how can some of you legitimately be unhappy unless you wanted us to lose?

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

They have waved the 500 rule for this year.

I know.  I still think some mid-majors with flashier records will get in before us if we are 14-13.  And, you know a 14-13 Duke team would.  We need to be 2 games over .500 to feel good about getting in.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I know.  I still think some mid-majors with flashier records will get in before us if we are 14-13.  And, you know a 14-13 Duke team would.  We need to be 2 games over .500 to feel good about getting in.  

Aside from you being a pessimist about this... Why?

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

We are solid in the last 4 in after this one. Half the schools wont play enough games to get into the tournament. We are in no matter if we are .500 or not. Going to be one pf those

15-12, I won’t be worried at all.  14-13,  I’ll be a bit worried, but we’d probably make it for the brand name alone.  13-14, we will be biting our fingernails on Selection Sunday and won’t have any right to complain if we don’t make it.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have trouble thinking that because we I U  and RMK still   hurts us in the selection but I do think it is so!! If I could slam the phone and show it I would!!! I do not know how to do it!!! GO IU !!

Pretty cool scene after the win. Lander and Leal practicing....and TJD is Leal's rebounder for shots after the game. 

I know, I know, I know....we can all find faults/complaints. Sometimes it's easier just to enjoy seeing a kid like TJD being a rebounder for Leal after the game.

I'm certain when I wake some of the normal crowd will have comments. To me. Pure teammates is what I see.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saw the stats that we outrebounded them 34-24 and couldn't believe that.  They did have 13 offensive rebounds but only 11 defensive rebounds.  It seemed like they out rebounded us so I was surprised to see that stat.

Me too. They seemed to get an awful lot of offensive rebounds and some wild saves of potential TOs. 

On ball defense was bad.  Too many turnovers. Basketball IQ has to get better (not being aware of the situation late, having timeouts and not calling them when we’re in trouble -RP & AD).

Negatives aside - Came ready to play tonight. Shot the ball well. Dominated the game minus the turnovers (likely win by 15-20 if we limit them to 10). Defense stepped up late when needed. Made free throws again late in the game (aren’t the best, but seem to make the clutch ones). Beat a team with a lot of quality wins. 

Beat MSU. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty cool scene after the win. Lander and Leal practicing....and TJD is Leal's rebounder for shots after the game. 

I know, I know, I know....we can all find faults/complaints. Sometimes it's easier just to enjoy seeing a kid like TJD being a rebounder for Leal after the game.

I'm certain when I wake some of the normal crowd will have comments. To me. Pure teammates is what I see.

There’s a lot to like about this team, that’s why I am not a fan of the negativity. They don’t quit, seem to care, and seem to get along. I’m always a bit disappointed in the lack of posts after a win. Completely the opposite win we lose and the torches are lit. They are definitely a tournament team warts and all. 

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree. Mid majors this year across the board lack the non-conference resumes that they get in normal years and their schedules are way weaker then normal. I think this is the year that fewer mid majors make it in, but honestly, there is absolutely no way to know what the committee will do(per usual).

Love the win but hate the inconsistency and the continuous high turnovers.  These, and inconsistent free throw shooting are why easy games become tight or losses and why we get blown out like against OSU.  Maybe we can beat MSU, Rutgers and Purdue, who can’t possibly hit threes like they did last time, but only if we clean up the items listed above.  Do not think we can beat Michigan.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Aside from you being a pessimist about this... Why?

The NET does not like us.  We are ranked 50th.  Teams below us in NET that would get in ahead of us if the tournament started today.

• Utah State
  • North Carolina
  • Possibly Syracuse

Say we go 1-3 the rest of the way in conference to finish 8-10 and 13-12 overall headed into the BTT.   

Maryland goes 3-1 tp finish 10-10 in conference.  The NET likes Maryland a lot better than us.  They are currently 36th.  They would get in before us.  

Minnesota also goes 3-1 down the stretch to finish 9-10 in conference and 16-10 overall.  They have a similar NET to us, a better conference record, and a better overall record.  

Is the committee really going to take a 13-13 or 14-13 IU squad as the 10th team from the B1G?  

Or, do they choose both Loyola and Drake, a currently 11-4 SMU squad, St. Louis and/or Richmond as at large choices from the A-10, a Duke team with a lower NET but a similar record to ours, a 16-17 win St. John's team, etc.  I could go on and on finding at-large candidates that could get in ahead of us if we stumble to the finish line

We need 2 of the las 4 regular season games to finish 9-9.  Otherwise we will need 2 wins in the BTT, which we are certainly capable of.  But, I don't want to have to count on that.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The NET does not like us.  We are ranked 50th.  Teams below us in NET that would get in ahead of us if the tournament started today.

• Utah State
  • North Carolina
  • Possibly Syracuse

Say we go 1-3 the rest of the way in conference to finish 8-10 and 13-12 overall headed into the BTT.   

Maryland goes 3-1 tp finish 10-10 in conference.  The NET likes Maryland a lot better than us.  They are currently 36th.  They would get in before us.  

Minnesota also goes 3-1 down the stretch to finish 9-10 in conference and 16-10 overall.  They have a similar NET to us, a better conference record, and a better overall record.  

Is the committee really going to take a 13-13 or 14-13 IU squad as the 10th team from the B1G?  

Or, do they choose both Loyola and Drake, a currently 11-4 SMU squad, St. Louis and/or Richmond as at large choices from the A-10, a Duke team with a lower NET but a similar record to ours, a 16-17 win St. John's team, etc.  I could go on and on finding at-large candidates that could get in ahead of us if we stumble to the finish line

We need 2 of the las 4 regular season games to finish 9-9.  Otherwise we will need 2 wins in the BTT, which we are certainly capable of.  But, I don't want to have to count on that.

The thing is that it is not really us against Maryland because the committee does not look at conference standings or don't look at how many teams a conference gets in.

Archived