Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, no conference win is trivial. Our team had a hot shooting night while defense was a bit subpar. I guess it's hard to play good on both offense and defense. 

It's good to see Hunter had a good offensive game. 

I guess I don't understand what everyone is so down on the defense this game.  I'm watching the game right now and at one point they made mention of points off turnovers was 15-0, finishing 25-8.  Cut the turnovers down and that cuts that number down as well.  To go along with something crazy like 13 offensive rebounds.  

Mashburn and Carr hit some extremely difficult shots.  To go along with a frantic finish by Minnesota.  Not real sure what the complaint is about defense. They has 60 points with 2 mins to go. Think y'all should go back and watch.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, maybe my thoughts on how IU fans should treat an IU coach are different than yours...And I've always thought there is always some truth, at least to the comic, in a joke...

I do think that there's a certain faction around here that wants to move on to the next shiny new object, and don't mind us losing if it'll get us there faster...and that, to me is a shame...I think some believe that people like me, who root for Archie to do well and defend him, are hobbling the program by somehow holding us back from what they see as a necessary coaching change...

I see it differently...I see a coach that is extremely driven...a coach that knows basketball...a coach that is creating a family based atmosphere for the players who know he has their back...a coach who is creating the kind of program we want...Contending for B1G titles and deep tournament pushes on a regular basis...In fact, I think it's the faction I mentioned above that will fly this thing into the ground if they have their way...Yeah, keep changing coaches...That's the ticket...We'll just be in for 20 more years of turmoil...

Some people were exulting Porkchop yesterday...I hate to tell them this, but Porkchop would have never had a chance to succeed if Purdue hadn't given him a long leash...The 2013 and 2014 seasons would have had him looking for a job if he was at IU...

And it's not that I mind honest debate about it...But when people bring up things like "Purdue is eating our lunch in recruiting" and you show them that IU has brought in better classes (according to recruiting services) every year but 2021 in Archie's tenure for the 100th time it gets old...

People forget...OUR Ayo is in the NBA playing for Boston...we've endured the injuries to Jerome, Race, Rob, and Joey...Yet we've never finished sub .500 overall, and have been very competitive in most games in the toughest conference in the country...

Our day is coming...

Amen to that. I don’t want to argue the rest. And that can be done in the appropriate thread. I think the point is we are all IU fans and want this and want this soon.

Question will remain unless Archie proves otherwise on if he will be the one to bring us back. Personally I just want joy back around the program. Happy fans, happy game days, and happy players. Right now the joy has been sucked out of Indiana basketball...even the players a great deal of the time don’t seem like they are enjoying it. We all know winning will cure that...so in the end if Archie is to be successful he needs to win...and win at a much higher clip then what he has been. We all are rooting for that. We all would much rather be having debates about where this team ranks in the all time greats as opposed to where this team ranks on the bubble. I hope to see more happy faces on the court soon...those kids work hard and I’d like to see it pay off. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that kind of joy on the floor...guessing 7-8 years ago. Let’s all root for that!

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I guess I don't understand what everyone is so down on the defense this game.  I'm watching the game right now and at one point they made mention of points off turnovers was 15-0, finishing 25-8.  Cut the turnovers down and that cuts that number down as well.  To go along with something crazy like 13 offensive rebounds.  

Mashburn and Carr hit some extremely difficult shots.  To go along with a frantic finish by Minnesota.  Not real sure what the complaint is about defense. They has 60 points with 2 mins to go. Think y'all should go back and watch.

Mostly that in the first half they were able to beat us off the dribble at will. We couldn’t stop their guard penetration. It was better from like 10 min mark on in the second half. Haven’t seen us get beat off the dribble like that many times this year. Even Armaan was having it happen. We just weren’t locked in and playing a team with one of their best players out and other one hobbled we seem to let up on the defensive end. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Mostly that in the first half they were able to beat us off the dribble at will. We couldn’t stop their guard penetration. It was better from like 10 min mark on in the second half. Haven’t seen us get beat off the dribble like that many times this year. Even Armaan was having it happen. We just weren’t locked in and playing a team with one of their best players out and other one hobbled we seem to let up on the defensive end. 

Must be great second half adjustments from the coach!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Right now the joy has been sucked out of Indiana basketball...even the players a great deal of the time don’t seem like they are enjoying it.

See? That's the kind of statement I don't understand...how is the "joy sucked out of Indiana basketball"?

I enjoy it just as much as I did 50 some odd years ago...I love competition...win or lose I like watching IU compete...isn't that the essence of sports?

As for the players...come on...that's a perception by you that's based on...what exactly?

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, maybe my thoughts on how IU fans should treat an IU coach are different than yours...And I've always thought there is always some truth, at least to the comic, in a joke...

I do think that there's a certain faction around here that wants to move on to the next shiny new object, and don't mind us losing if it'll get us there faster...and that, to me is a shame...I think some believe that people like me, who root for Archie to do well and defend him, are hobbling the program by somehow holding us back from what they see as a necessary coaching change...

I see it differently...I see a coach that is extremely driven...a coach that knows basketball...a coach that is creating a family based atmosphere for the players who know he has their back...a coach who is creating the kind of program we want...Contending for B1G titles and deep tournament pushes on a regular basis...In fact, I think it's the faction I mentioned above that will fly this thing into the ground if they have their way...Yeah, keep changing coaches...That's the ticket...We'll just be in for 20 more years of turmoil...

Some people were exulting Porkchop yesterday...I hate to tell them this, but Porkchop would have never had a chance to succeed if Purdue hadn't given him a long leash...The 2013 and 2014 seasons would have had him looking for a job if he was at IU...

And it's not that I mind honest debate about it...But when people bring up things like "Purdue is eating our lunch in recruiting" and you show them that IU has brought in better classes (according to recruiting services) every year but 2021 in Archie's tenure for the 100th time it gets old...

People forget...OUR Ayo is in the NBA playing for Boston...we've endured the injuries to Jerome, Race, Rob, and Joey...Yet we've never finished sub .500 overall, and have been very competitive in most games in the toughest conference in the country...

Our day is coming...

Bravo....and with that I'm off to shovel more of that white stuff. The irony is we pay a service to do our hood....and they've done it so poorly I have to shovel the spots they didn't think was important. Haha.

Go Hoosiers! Get another win Saturday vs Izzo and the gang. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Must be great second half adjustments from the coach!

Archie did make good adjustments. He also runs great plays out of timeouts. The back screens for Trayce to open the game and then there in the second half to free him up down on the block are great. I think there are times Archie sticks too long with Rob and Al (tonight was obvious they were playing well) and wonder why we don’t see Jerome more. I also think our spacing on offense gets jacked up (and that could be on the players). I do think Archie could encourage the guys to take more 3s. Especially when we are having to force up contested 2s to not pass up a good open look. Overall I think his in game coaching is good...much better than Creans for instance. Recruiting and player development are still up and down and I think that is a reason we still haven’t made that leap to the top of the league.

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our day is coming...

Well said. 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

See? That's the kind of statement I don't understand...how is the "joy sucked out of Indiana basketball"?

I enjoy it just as much as I did 50 some odd years ago...I love competition...win or lose I like watching IU compete...isn't that the essence of sports?

As for the players...come on...that's a perception by you that's based on...what exactly?

We just see it differently my friend. I used to enjoy game days mostly because I felt confident we would win. We played a brand and style of basketball that was enjoyable to watch and I had an excitement of where the season was headed. Most of the time I knew what to expect from us and while I knew we could lose I also knew the other team had to be very good to win. This team is very jeckyl and Hyde. So frustrating knowing our potential If we focus but I’m being honest...hard to get excited about basically a 500 team. We have no momentum so it never really feels like we have a chance to do something special. That is all. So the joy and excitement is replaced with anxiety and uncertainty. I don’t know what I’ll get and I don’t even know if this team will make the tournament much less if it’s capable of winning some games in it. 

As for the players...it’s just my perception of watching them interacting during the game, on the sidelines, after the game, and especially the post game news conferences. Maybe it’s just their personalities but even after a win they give dry, unexciting interviews and just seem to mimick what Archie says...and Archie just isn’t a charismatic guy so the whole thing comes off a bit boring..or joyless. Maybe it’s their real personalities but I see other teams press conferences and they cut up and get exited to answer questions and just show more personality. Maybe it’s just me though. I know you see it different and thats ok. Half the country sees one thing while half sees the opposite. Just the way it is...but we are on the same side...we want IU and this team to succeed!

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hard to say...I don’t think he is a terrible coach honestly. Minnesota is a hard job in the hardest conference. I imagine Ryan Saunders will be available after he gets fired from the Twolves pretty soon. He was noted for his player development in the gleague and is another son of a famous father coach lol. 

Just the fact that he (RP) has managed to run the program without NCAA violations should be enough to keep him.  That program has a long history of rules and behavior infractions.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL and OMG...I will check myself in for psychiatric evaluation.

Love you guys...you and others always make my day at work so much better with the gifs and pictures you post! My coworkers think I’m crazy sometimes because I bust out laughing!

Oh and just be careful...I’ve heard that if they deem you crazy you can’t just check yourself back out...so think about it! 

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Just the fact that he (RP) has managed to run the program without NCAA violations should be enough to keep him.  That program has a long history of rules and behavior infractions.

I know it's been a few years ago, but they were also responsible for the darkest day in Big Ten history with the despicable behavior of Corky Taylor, Ron Behagen, Clyde Turner, and Dave Winfield in the Ohio State game at The Barn. 

Minnesota won the league in 1972, but the players mentioned should have had to sit for the rest of the year after that display ...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know it's been a few years ago, but they were also responsible for the darkest day in Big Ten history with the despicable behavior of Corky Taylor, Ron Behagen, Clyde Turner, and Dave Winfield in the Ohio State game at The Barn. 

Minnesota won the league in 1972, but the players mentioned should have had to sit for the rest of the year after that display ...

I don't recall that game but I remember this one.  Maybe the worst game we ever played.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I know.  I still think some mid-majors with flashier records will get in before us if we are 14-13.  And, you know a 14-13 Duke team would.  We need to be 2 games over .500 to feel good about getting in.  

That was a big win. While I understand your nervousness everyone, including the media, is calling the Big Ten the best and deepest conference in the country. I think we are definitely in with a .500 conference record. 

Archived