Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bravo....and with that I'm off to shovel more of that white stuff. The irony is we pay a service to do our hood....and they've done it so poorly I have to shovel the spots they didn't think was important. Haha.

Go Hoosiers! Get another win Saturday vs Izzo and the gang. 

Don’t miss that at all. I loved how snow looked coming down and all pretty on the ground but did not love shoveling my drive way...I just have to remind myself this when it’s 100 this summer and I’m sweating to death down here.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't recall that game but I remember this one.  Maybe the worst game we ever played.

Shudders...the barn of horrors. That place should be burned to the ground...I’m sure we could all take donations across the B1G because no one but Minny plays well there.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We just see it differently my friend. I used to enjoy game days mostly because I felt confident we would win. We played a brand and style of basketball that was enjoyable to watch and I had an excitement of where the season was headed. Most of the time I knew what to expect from us and while I knew we could lose I also knew the other team had to be very good to win. This team is very jeckyl and Hyde. So frustrating knowing our potential If we focus but I’m being honest...hard to get excited about basically a 500 team. We have no momentum so it never really feels like we have a chance to do something special. That is all. So the joy and excitement is replaced with anxiety and uncertainty. I don’t know what I’ll get and I don’t even know if this team will make the tournament much less if it’s capable of winning some games in it. 

As for the players...it’s just my perception of watching them interacting during the game, on the sidelines, after the game, and especially the post game news conferences. Maybe it’s just their personalities but even after a win they give dry, unexciting interviews and just seem to mimick what Archie says...and Archie just isn’t a charismatic guy so the whole thing comes off a bit boring..or joyless. Maybe it’s their real personalities but I see other teams press conferences and they cut up and get exited to answer questions and just show more personality. Maybe it’s just me though. I know you see it different and thats ok. Half the country sees one thing while half sees the opposite. Just the way it is...but we are on the same side...we want IU and this team to succeed!

OK...I'm just not big on perception...go around with my bosses all the time over it...I prefer truth and facts...

Just me...And yes, we all want IU to succeed...

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

That was a big win. While I understand your nervousness everyone, including the media, is calling the Big Ten the best and deepest conference in the country. I think we are definitely in with a .500 conference record. 

That's the thing though,  Assuming we beat MSU, we still have to win a game that we will be underdogs in to get to a .500 conference record.  And, if they decide to force us to make up the two games we missed, we will be underdogs in 5 of our last 6 games.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

That's the thing though,  Assuming we beat MSU, we still have to win a game that we will be underdogs in to get to a .500 conference record.  And, if they decide to force us to make up the two games we missed, we will be underdogs in 5 of our last 6 games.

Agree with the difficulty aspect.

I was not saying that finishing with a .500 conference record will be easy but I do think we are are shoo-in if we do indeed finish at .500 (whereas I think you posted we needed to be a game or two over .500 in conference).

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

OK...I'm just not big on perception...go around with my bosses all the time over it...I prefer truth and facts...

Just me...And yes, we all want IU to succeed...

Of course I am not on the team so no one has any facts. All of us just speculate around here. So like I said it could just be the kids we have on the team have the personality of my big toe...and that’s alright if we win ball games...but man they either hate interviews or they come across as less then thrilled after a big win. Maybe Mike can help me with what I’m seeing there. I’m sure he interviews and interacts with the players a bit.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We aren't talking about winning three games where we are underdogs, though. We are talking about winning one game.

As a team, we haven't lost more than two in a row all year, so if we beat MSU this weekend we would have to have our longest losing streak of the year to end the regular season. That's possible, it just seems pretty damn unlikely. Getting into the statistics and real probabilities of it, not the perception from someone being negative, the odds of us losing all three of the last games are pretty long. Add in losing a ~50/50 BTT game on top of it and it gets even longer.

What I'm saying is, your scenario isn't grounded in facts. It's possible but it's just not even close to the likely scenario here, yet you keep fear mongering about how the sky is falling with it. You're better than this chicken little crap. 

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Shudders...the barn of horrors. That place should be burned to the ground...I’m sure we could all take donations across the B1G because no one but Minny plays well there.

Understood, but if you ever get a chance to see a game there, grab it. The place is like something built for the movie Hoosiers, and if you grew up in Indiana, the Barn will look very familiar - it's basically a larger version of every small high school gym in Indiana.

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

IU played far from a perfect game, but I’d be curious into your reasoning for why we “looked awful.” IU shot 58% from 3, over 76% from the line, held UMN to 20% from 3, and went on a 16-2 run in the second half to beat a decent team by double digits. 

There’s two halves to basketball.  We looked good for one and terrible the other.  We barely beat a terrible team at home 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Mostly that in the first half they were able to beat us off the dribble at will. We couldn’t stop their guard penetration. It was better from like 10 min mark on in the second half. Haven’t seen us get beat off the dribble like that many times this year. Even Armaan was having it happen. We just weren’t locked in and playing a team with one of their best players out and other one hobbled we seem to let up on the defensive end. 

Okay I can see what you're talking about now if we're just focusing on dribble penetration for sure.  And I guess we can also say they were something like four of 18 from 3 that contributes to some of them long rebounds that led to the 13 offensive rebounds.

Stepping back and looking at the whole picture of this game clean up a few things and that is a 25-point win.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s two halves to basketball.  We looked good for one and terrible the other.  We barely beat a terrible team at home 

Good thing our coach made some excellent 2nd half adjustments. 

Our offense was fantastic for most of the night. Defense was excellent down the stretch. We had some turnover and defensive rebounding issues that made the game closer than it should have been, but when you win by 10 in the Big Ten, especially against a decent team that has been ranked, that is a good performance. 

The other team does try to win also. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure how this is true since they also say they try to avoid conference match ups before iirc the sweet 16.  So in order to create a bracket that avoids those match ups it would literally be impossible not to mention conference affiliation.  

I'm not saying they didn't say this.  Can't remember who it was that came out detailing the experience, but it was a mock and they must have forgotten that one little rule.  

That is after the selection process has taken place.  When selecting teams they don't look at conferences.  When seeding and placing teams they do look at it.

It just baffles my mind that people would be anything other than really happy with that game last night?!?!

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Are there things IU struggled with? Absolutely.

But to be anything other than happy when you beat a Big Ten team that is projected to be a tournament team by double digits just seems crazy to me. Especially when the offense looked so good and we clamped down on D in the second half after a tough first half defensively. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We just see it differently my friend. I used to enjoy game days mostly because I felt confident we would win. We played a brand and style of basketball that was enjoyable to watch and I had an excitement of where the season was headed. Most of the time I knew what to expect from us and while I knew we could lose I also knew the other team had to be very good to win. This team is very jeckyl and Hyde. So frustrating knowing our potential If we focus but I’m being honest...hard to get excited about basically a 500 team. We have no momentum so it never really feels like we have a chance to do something special. That is all. So the joy and excitement is replaced with anxiety and uncertainty. I don’t know what I’ll get and I don’t even know if this team will make the tournament much less if it’s capable of winning some games in it. 

As for the players...it’s just my perception of watching them interacting during the game, on the sidelines, after the game, and especially the post game news conferences. Maybe it’s just their personalities but even after a win they give dry, unexciting interviews and just seem to mimick what Archie says...and Archie just isn’t a charismatic guy so the whole thing comes off a bit boring..or joyless. Maybe it’s their real personalities but I see other teams press conferences and they cut up and get exited to answer questions and just show more personality. Maybe it’s just me though. I know you see it different and thats ok. Half the country sees one thing while half sees the opposite. Just the way it is...but we are on the same side...we want IU and this team to succeed!

I guess it comes down that some only can find enjoyment when a team wins big and others can enjoy the game for the entertainment.  Some like the journey and not worry about the destination

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It just baffles my mind that people would be anything other than really happy with that game last night?!?!

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Are there things IU struggled with? Absolutely.

But to be anything other than happy when you beat a Big Ten team that is projected to be a tournament team by double digits just seems crazy to me. Especially when the offense looked so good and we clamped down on D in the second half after a tough first half defensively. 

I think some of our fans think that RMK won every big ten game by 20 points.  I even remember his best teams struggling to win against bad teams.  In 87 they had a 2 game road trip to the two worst teams in the league NW and UW.  They barely beat NW and it took a last second shot to beat UW in 3OT

Archived