Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Minny is 0-8 on the road now and people are seriously acting like beating them at home is an accomplishment? 

You know what, you're right. We suck, Archie sucks. I can't believe we only shot 58% and only scored 82 points against them. If I was Archie I'd be pulling some scholarships!! 5-for-6 from the field for 16 points for Al Durham? Doesn't Al know that if he had gone 6-for-6 we would have won by 12 instead of 10? He needs to be benched! 

Is that better for you? I mean seriously, it's ok to not be miserable about this all the time.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It just baffles my mind that people would be anything other than really happy with that game last night?!?!

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Are there things IU struggled with? Absolutely.

But to be anything other than happy when you beat a Big Ten team that is projected to be a tournament team by double digits just seems crazy to me. Especially when the offense looked so good and we clamped down on D in the second half after a tough first half defensively. 

I thought the win was fine, but can play devil's advocate a bit. Double digit win is a little deceiving - game was tied with 8 minutes left, and we were playing from behind for a good 5-6 minutes before that, getting down by as much as 6. We were getting beat off the dribble all game, and the turnovers are becoming more and more of an issue. I'll admit, I was pretty frustrated with things about halfway through the second half, but we played some really good ball to finish it out.

That being said, there are definitely positives to take out of the game, and in this conference, you take a W when you get it. 

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I thought the win was fine, but can play devil's advocate a bit. Double digit win is a little deceiving - game was tied with 8 minutes left, and we were playing from behind for a good 5-6 minutes before that, getting down by as much as 6. We were getting beat off the dribble all game, and the turnovers are becoming more and more of an issue. I'll admit, I was pretty frustrated with things about halfway through the second half, but we played some really good ball to finish it out.

That being said, there are definitely positives to take out of the game, and in this conference, you take a W when you get it. 

Like I said, the game wasn't perfect. There will always be things that don't go right in every game because people aren't perfect and the other team tries too. 

Yes, we turned it on late, but we turned it on big too, and that could have just as easily been a 15-20 point win.

The point is, while there are things to improve on and things to dissect and discuss, to not be happy about beating a tournament team by double-digits, or to act like it wasn't a good win and good performance, is crazy to me. 

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that despite turning the ball over way too many times and giving up way too many points off of those turnovers, IU still found a way to win by double digits. The last 8 minutes they found ways to execute on offense and make stops on defense.  They overcame their imperfect play to win by 10 points. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, the game wasn't perfect. There will always be things that don't go right in every game because people aren't perfect and the other team tries too. 

Yes, we turned it on late, but we turned it on big too, and that could have just as easily been a 15-20 point win.

The point is, while there are things to improve on and things to dissect and discuss, to not be happy about beating a tournament team by double-digits, or to act like it wasn't a good win and good performance, is crazy to me. 

I don't know about pushing it to 15-20. I think we hit something like 11 of our last 12 FTs or something like that, which is obviously good to see, but not normal for us. I personally agree with what you are saying about it being a good win, and I know this is a pretty shaky point, but would you feel the same if the game had ended 8 minutes earlier, win or lose? I think maybe some people are more focused on those first 32 minutes rather than the game as a whole.

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that despite turning the ball over way too many times and giving up way too many points off of those turnovers, IU still found a way to win by double digits. The last 8 minutes they found ways to execute on offense and make stops on defense.  They overcame their imperfect play to win by 10 points. 

Sure, that's fair, and I agree with you, but you've also pointed out in your response the reasons why some people might not be as happy with the W. 

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I don't know about pushing it to 15-20. I think we hit something like 11 of our last 12 FTs or something like that, which is obviously good to see, but not normal for us. I personally agree with what you are saying about it being a good win, and I know this is a pretty shaky point, but would you feel the same if the game had ended 8 minutes earlier, win or lose? I think maybe some people are more focused on those first 32 minutes rather than the game as a whole.

I think it was 14 before 2 late turnovers. So to think we could have won by 15-20 is fairly realistic. 

The games are 40 minutes, not 32. We cleaned up our issues the last 8 minutes and won going away. Again, I didn't say there wasn't things we could have done better and that are to be discussed, but that was a good win and to act like it wasn't is just people being negative for negative's sake. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think it was 14 before 2 late turnovers. So to think we could have won by 15-20 is fairly realistic. 

The games are 40 minutes, not 32. We cleaned up our issues the last 8 minutes and won going away. Again, I didn't say there wasn't things we could have done better and that are to be discussed, but that was a good win and to act like it wasn't is just people being negative for negative's sake. 

The two TOs are more realistic for us than hitting 11-12 FTs. Obviously the games aren't 32 minutes long, but again, would you have been happy with the result at that point? You guys saying everyone should be happy with the W are giving the reasons why people might not be as happy with the win right in your responses, so I'm not sure how you can't understand that.

Personally, I'm happy with the W, but the turnovers seem to be a growing problem that can't just be shrugged off, because they're becoming a pattern. The dribble penetration was also frustrating to watch, as well as Rob getting eaten up by a freshman, but I think that's really just more of a matchup thing than any major concern - we didn't see anything like that in the Iowa games, for example. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

We just see it differently my friend. I used to enjoy game days mostly because I felt confident we would win. We played a brand and style of basketball that was enjoyable to watch and I had an excitement of where the season was headed. Most of the time I knew what to expect from us and while I knew we could lose I also knew the other team had to be very good to win. This team is very jeckyl and Hyde. So frustrating knowing our potential If we focus but I’m being honest...hard to get excited about basically a 500 team. We have no momentum so it never really feels like we have a chance to do something special. That is all. So the joy and excitement is replaced with anxiety and uncertainty. I don’t know what I’ll get and I don’t even know if this team will make the tournament much less if it’s capable of winning some games in it. 

As for the players...it’s just my perception of watching them interacting during the game, on the sidelines, after the game, and especially the post game news conferences. Maybe it’s just their personalities but even after a win they give dry, unexciting interviews and just seem to mimick what Archie says...and Archie just isn’t a charismatic guy so the whole thing comes off a bit boring..or joyless. Maybe it’s their real personalities but I see other teams press conferences and they cut up and get exited to answer questions and just show more personality. Maybe it’s just me though. I know you see it different and thats ok. Half the country sees one thing while half sees the opposite. Just the way it is...but we are on the same side...we want IU and this team to succeed!

My problem is so many Indiana fans judge this current team based off of Indiana’s success in the 80s and 90s comparing Coach Knight to Archie and this team to those other teams. Here IMO is why that’s not fair.  1. Coach knight didn’t have to worry about getting old and staying old. 2. Indiana kids didn’t have tv and internet and video games instead they went outside and shot 3 pointers so the Indiana kids were either big farm boys or pure assassins. 3. Those same kids wanted to come to Indiana and continue that legacy and loyalty. Kids now a days only look at the NBA not representing where they grew up and transfer to this prep schools like crazy 4. Back then corruption was not nearly what it is now and Archie has to fight that because the coaches like Self, Cali part, coach K and even CAM brother either get away with whatever they want or have other people do their dirty work. 5. covid never existed and recruiting is hard with all of those things. 6. The game has completely changed from the 80s and 90s to now and it’s hard with all of those involved 7. Coach Knight once told a kid commit now or I’m pulling your offer. CAM could never ever ever say that to an Indiana kid and get away with it and it actually work. I get having pride in cheering for Indiana and wanting them to win and succeed but putting the pressure on this team and coaching staff to win like the 80s and 90s is like asking the cubs to Continuing to win more than one World Series because they did it once in the last 100 years. Excellence is exceeding other people’s expectations. Set the expectations low and just go back to being a fan and stop living in the past of what IU basketball was because it’s just not the same. It can be but not if we don’t fully back this team, commit to this coach, and just see what happens. If we give up on this team and Cam for “the next best thing” what if he’s not. What if he fails? Giving a coach time is just needed these days. Even teams like Kentucky and Duke can’t sustain success with their one and done strategy. I mean they each get like 4 to 5 five star recruits Each year and still hardly win it all and we put pressure on this team to try to be really good. The fact is the kids in Indiana just aren’t as good as they used to be. Archie recruits who he thinks helps this team best. He recruited 99% Indiana kids and we loved it for him and them when they started failing we dogged him. Them the Indiana kids weren’t up to his standards of what he wants for IU and we dog him for not getting Indiana kids. Luke Goode is not Goode. Trey Kaufman is the only IU kid I would take next year from Indiana and it’s not even close. Maybe once kids from Indiana get outside and start shooting kn their barns again and become assassins should we them start judging this team like the ones from the 80s and 90s

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We won by 10...and that "terrible team" has beaten Michigan, OSU, Purdue, and Iowa...

...I know these wins were at home, but Minny beat #3 Michigan - by 18, 75-57, #4 OSU - by 17, 77-60, Purdue - by  3, 71-68 and #11 Iowa - by 7, 102-95. Pretty nice wins on a resume if you ask me. Beating these guys by 10 with 17 turnovers is a huge accomplishment. It shows me, despite their mistakes, they continue to find a way to “stay the course” and secure the W. Look there’s only 2 games this season where we deserved to get beat, the home game vs. Purdue and at OSU. On to beating MSU. 

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think some of our fans think that RMK won every big ten game by 20 points.  I even remember his best teams struggling to win against bad teams.  In 87 they had a 2 game road trip to the two worst teams in the league NW and UW.  They barely beat NW and it took a last second shot to beat UW in 3OT

Image result for blasphemy gif funny

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

The two TOs are more realistic for us than hitting 11-12 FTs. Obviously the games aren't 32 minutes long, but again, would you have been happy with the result at that point? You guys saying everyone should be happy with the W are giving the reasons why people might not be as happy with the win right in your responses, so I'm not sure how you can't understand that.

Personally, I'm happy with the W, but the turnovers seem to be a growing problem that can't just be shrugged off, because they're becoming a pattern. The dribble penetration was also frustrating to watch, as well as Rob getting eaten up by a freshman, but I think that's really just more of a matchup thing than any major concern - we didn't see anything like that in the Iowa games, for example. 

People that expect any team, much less this very imperfect one with many faults, to play a perfect game would find a reason to be unhappy after any win. I don't see anyone here claiming this was anywhere close to a perfect game.

You say turnovers. IU has been very up and down this season with regards to those. They have games like this where they win despite 16 turnovers but then also have losses in games where they turn it over only 7 or 8 times. Look at the season game logs for the TO in each game. The last couple of games they've had too many but they've been very inconsistent in this aspect (as in so many others) that there's no reason to say they won't have only 8 turnovers next game. With this team about the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency. 

Sure, there will be people that are unhappy with the win. I don't know that anything would make them happy.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

People that expect any team, much less this very imperfect one with many faults, to play a perfect game would find a reason to be unhappy after any win. I don't see anyone here claiming this was anywhere close to a perfect game.

And no one has said that people are calling this perfect. The discussion is why aren't some people happier with this W. 

You say turnovers. IU has been very up and down this season with regards to those. They have games like this where they win despite 16 turnovers but then also have losses in games where they turn it over only 7 or 8 times. Look at the season game logs for the TO in each game. The last couple of games they've had too many but they've been very inconsistent in this aspect (as in so many others) that there's no reason to say they won't have only 8 turnovers next game. With this team about the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency. 

One of the problems with this team is a lack of consistency in play, so it could be argued that this isn't improving. 

Sure, there will be people that are unhappy with the win. I don't know that anything would make them happy.

And that's really the crux of this discussion. I personally lean more towards being pretty happy overall with this win, and there was a lot to like, but I can also understand if someone isn't as happy with the W, for the very reasons you've pointed out. As noted before, I was pretty annoyed in the middle of the second half, when we were losing to a team that hasn't been competing on the road all year. Good finish, though, and it certainly seems like we're starting to learn how to win games, which is another plus. All of those OT games might be worth something after all.

36 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I am not happy with the increase TO's but I liked that we played at a faster pace which might lead to more turnovers.  I am not comparing teams but the 76 team averaged over 16 turnovers a game

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not happy with the increase TO's but I liked that we played at a faster pace which might lead to more turnovers.  I am not comparing teams but the 76 team averaged over 16 turnovers a game

Good point, and maybe the TOs aren't really a problem, if it's leading to more open shots that we're knocking down, like we did last night from 3. There are peeps on here that are much smarter than me that can answer whether that's the situation or not. I still have a lot of PTSD from watching the FCTC's teams throw the ball all over the arena. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I cannot for the life of me see why that guy is on the air...

He talks in circles, and he kept jabbing at Dave Revsine...I kept waiting for Revsine to go over and knock him out...

He also said that he thought IU is a tournament team and could win a couple of games in the tournament.

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

I guess I just have a problem with the negativity when it was a good win, and it was a good win. We haven't had a ton to be really positive about, so when we get it, it rubs me the wrong way to see people dump on it. 

Everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinions and to voice their viewpoints as they see them. But there is a difference between...

"Good W, nice to beat a tournament team by double digits. The turnovers and offensive rebounds are a huge problem that need to be figured out, really frustrating. But, feels good to see our guys come through the last 8 minutes and really step on Minny's throats!"...

as opposed to "I can't believe any of you are happy about that W. We beat a terrible Minny team. Why is anyone happy about that. At least Archie can out-coach one coach."

The first one isn't saying there aren't problems, and is addressing the issues, while still recognizing it was a performance to feel good about. The second one is just miserable. 

Archived