3 point shooting

11 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Thanks for sharing. We're 39.2% in last 3 games. Definitely showing improvement. If our team can shoot better than 35% from 3 collectively, that's a game changer. I know every game can be different, but I gotta say this season is not over YET. 

Conversely we are 180th in 3pt% defense.  Something we need to tighten up as we move toward the NCAA tournament.  

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is so weird.  We shoot on those rims, in that arena every single day and it should be so comfortable shooting at home.  So weird

Those numbers are a little skewed...We had 3 games at home between 12/30 and 1/14 where we went 13-59 (22%) from 3 starting with Penn State (31%), Maryland (18%), and Purdue (17%) that throw it a bit off...And I think Maryland is the game Armaan tweaked his ankle in... 

2 hours ago, PritchardPutBack said:

Here is how everyone has shot in the last 10 games from 3 (not everyone has played/made an attempt in each game though)

image.png.4b401b946dda3f1120084164bacc7ad5.png

Geez, if Phinisee could just shoot it somewhere around 36-37% it would change a lot. 

I really thought he was going to develop into a really good spot up 3pt shooter. His stroke is good, just hasn't happened. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Geez, Phinisee could just shoot it somewhere around 36-37% it would change a lot. 

I really thought he was going to develop into a really good spot up 3pt shooter. His stroke is good, just hasn't happened. 

Lately when he misses, they're not rim rattlers... he's missing by a lot

Still not entirely sure what to believe on Armaan's jumper. Last year he was 17-64 from three. The first six games of this year (through FSU), he was 2-12. So, that's a 38 game sample to start his career where he shot 25% from deep (19-76).

In the 14 games since then, he is 31-61. That's 51%. His jumper transformed overnight from Justin Smith to Jordan Hulls. I thought it was just a hot streak at first, but he has kept it up for two months now.

I really want to believe he's a 40%+ shooter moving forward. I do believe Hunter is a legitimate plus shooter, and Leal may be too. Offense is so much easier when you knock down open shots.

3 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Still not entirely sure what to believe on Armaan's jumper. Last year he was 17-64 from three. The first six games of this year (through FSU), he was 2-12. So, that's a 38 game sample to start his career where he shot 25% from deep (19-76).

In the 14 games since then, he is 31-61. That's 51%. His jumper transformed overnight from Justin Smith to Jordan Hulls. I thought it was just a hot streak at first, but he has kept it up for two months now.

I really want to believe he's a 40%+ shooter moving forward. I do believe Hunter is a legitimate plus shooter, and Leal may be too. Offense is so much easier when you knock down open shots.

I think Armaan is a legitimately good shooter. He has really good form; when he shoots anymore, I expect it to go in where as with a few of our worse shooters I cringe a bit. 

13 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Experience and confidence...he's worked hard on his game and his shooting and it's paying dividends...

I don't think 40% from here on out is a stretch at all...

5 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

We need Landers and Galloway to work really hard this off season to improve their shot. Landers form from three point line isn’t good. He looks like he turns sideways are is it just me! 

No, Khristian doesn't have a classic jump shot. Holds it kinda low and does turn his body a bit...

Jerome's shot is the one that cracks me up...straight line drive trajectory, falling a little backward, but by God it goes in. I have yet to see him swish one though...always goes in off the back iron...

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, Khristian doesn't have a classic jump shot. Holds it kinda low and does turn his body a bit...

Jerome's shot is the one that cracks me up...straight line drive trajectory, falling a little backward, but by God it goes in. I have yet to see him swish one though...always goes in off the back iron...

As long as it goes in. Reggie Miller had an unorthodox form where he hit his wrists together, but he was money 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Experience and confidence...he's worked hard on his game and his shooting and it's paying dividends...

I don't think 40% from here on out is a stretch at all...

Maybe it's the driveway goal he got installed when the lockdowns began.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why it seems there is a dearth of shooters (or so it seems) - perhaps kids don't practice in the elements?

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Maybe it's the driveway goal he got installed when the lockdowns began.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why it seems there is a dearth of shooters (or so it seems) - perhaps kids don't practice in the elements?

I believe it was Franklin who had the bakery installed on his driveway for the lockdown. It worked well for him.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, his confidence is shot right now. 

It was encouraging to see him getting buckets attacking the basket. It feels like a lifetime ago, but he showed such huge potential as a freshman getting to the rim, and we really haven’t seen it consistently since then. I think I trust him driving the ball more than any other player on the team.

17 hours ago, Shooter said:

Confidence.  He even said so himself in interviews.  

On 2/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Euroclydon said:

Definitely improving of late but I'll go along with Hoosierhoopster and BGleas. There are still too many threes being taken by guys that have not been able to consistently hit them. Worse still - some of them find a way to take them at the least opportune times. Smart teams work to get good shots by the right guys in the right spots. That's not always the case with this team.

Armaan, Al, Jerome, and Leal (on a very small scale) have shown they can knock down open threes. Everyone else should only be taking them when there is no other option and based on the score and the clock. If we say they have to take them to get better what we are really saying is we can't run the offense well enough to get a better shot option.

Geronimo, Race an Trey are a combined 10 of 45 (22%) from three. The only time they should shoot a three is when the game is in hand or the clock is running out. Lander could be in that group at 11 for 38 (29%) but it's clear he is limited to shooting threes right now. As quick as he is there is no evidence he has the physical strength to get to the rim and be a factor. Rob is right there too at 30%. The thing with Rob is he can be so clutch at times. Still prefer he get to the lane and create for others.

It is encouraging to think they at least have the potential to hit enough threes to be dangerous and of late we are seeing more consistency. But we have been in this spot before. Just when they appear to turn the corner things go off the rails. Al was sharp last night but he can turn in 2 points against Northwestern, 4 against Purdue, 8 against Rutgers and 7 against OSU. Armaan has been strong more often than not but 2 points against Maryland, 4 against Iowa, and 3 against OSU show he is not a lock. Rob? In nine of 21 games he has scored five points or less (including a goose egg against IL). 

Bottom line - I want to believe they are getting better shooting the three, and it seems to be getting better, but it would not surprise me if they show up Saturday and can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

Sometimes you wish you were wrong. 

Archived