Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, February 20th 12 noon EST ESPN

Where: Simon Skjodt  Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN

MSU Roster:

MSU.PNG.46371bb0cfd52bca08ee8d5576bc127b.PNG

Lot of top 100 kids on that roster, but for some reason, Izzo isn't getting much out of them. Last outing was against Purdue at West Lafayette, and while they were competitive, they lost by 10...

I think everybody knows Aaron Henry...He's their leader. Has a good game to him, but can be inconsistent, and his shot selection isn't always they best. Top notch defender though.

Joey Hauser had been struggling, asked Izzo to bring him off the bench, and had a decent game against the Boilers. Big man that can drain the 3.

Julius Marble has been good for them lately coming off the bench. And AJ Hoggard (who we recruited) has had his moments.

The enigma to me is Rocket Watts...The guy has great physical talent, but I think his confidence is low. Just hope he doesn't break out against us.

Stats:

1846193623_MSUS.PNG.08df5c837f5df18d58981576b929b29e.PNG

Not a real good 3 point shooting team. Hauser and Langford can both hit them though. I would think Rob will draw Langford, and Race will get Hauser when he's in the game.

Very winnable. I expect an Izzo team to come ready to play, but this team has struggled in the B1G, beating only Nebraska twice, Penn State, and Rutgers (when Rutgers was struggling)...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan St will by physical...we all know that...

And the emergence of Jerome as a physical presence for our side is a good thing...

BUT he has gotten a tech and a flagrant 1 in the last 2 games...If I was Archie, I'd ask him to keep the edge, but try to avoid anything that'll hurt the team (like a tech or a flagrant 1)... 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Admittedly, I'm not sure I've watched more than 5 minutes of MSU this season.

Where has it gone wrong for them?

Outscoring the other team. They haven't been particularly successful at that that in league play.

Just kidding. It's a good question that I don't have the answer to as I haven't watched them, either.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Admittedly, I'm not sure I've watched more than 5 minutes of MSU this season.

Where has it gone wrong for them?

They're just not as tough as they normally are. They don't have a Xavier Tillman or Draymond Green for the toughness, nor a Cassius Winston to bail them out in tight games...

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will say this...Michigan St might not be having a good year but they are playing a lot better now then a month ago...we should still win but at least they are playing hard. I expect a tough tough game.

A little over a week ago they lost at home by 30 to Iowa

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Michigan St will by physical...we all know that...

And the emergence of Jerome as a physical presence for our side is a good thing...

BUT he has gotten a tech and a flagrant 1 in the last 2 games...If I was Archie, I'd ask him to keep the edge, but try to avoid anything that'll hurt the team (like a tech or a flagrant 1)... 

I've always loved teams that have that edge or at least 1-2 guys who have a little heat to them. Agree we don't want it to cost us games but I don't mind Jerome showing a little bit of that. Seems to motivate him even more. If that's what it takes...so be it. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

This is a must win. I am worried that we have beaten them when we were not supposed to so now that we should be favored I just hope we play the way we are capable of playing, in a positive that is we are also very capable of playing terrible. I am calling it MUST WIN!!

For some reason I think we lose this one but then somehow win at Purdue.  We're both just due. 

34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I saw MSU early and posted that I didn’t think they were very good at all.  They were ranked top 10.  I took some flak for having a hot take.  

I thought the same thing before even seeing them play. Just didn’t see much on the roster to make me think they were going to be that good.

Have to agree this is a must win, and the roller coaster that is IU basketball has me concerned.  But should be a win if we keep seeing what we saw last game:

Trace strong and assertive early

Rob being a facilitator instead of the shot taker.  He is best when he distributed more than he shoots.

Jerome seems to be the new Sheehey or Fife and I like it.  But maybe needs to be less of a Brian Cardinal type as posted above.

I expect Franklin to play better.

I feel like the offense is flowing better and not just because of made shots.  Think Coach should get some credit here and hopefully that continues.

Yet IU basketball has bitten us so many times can’t help but be a little pessimistic.  But have to believe it’s a win here. 

Always a bad idea to tangle with a wounded animal.  That is where I stand with Sparty.

I have watched them a few times.  The only way you can tell this is a Izzo coached team is because you see Tom on the sideline.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, about this team screams Spartan basketball.  

Archived