Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He owns IU...he has a 10 million dollar buyout lol.

IU should stop getting into this ridiculous contract. A successful coach on his contract extension deserves 10 mil (or more) buyout. I don't know if this is common for coaches hired for the first time at a high major D1 like IU, but this put us in such difficult spot. I feel this is very unfair to bigtime donors who love IU basketball dearly. So what's IU going to tell them?

"Hey, you need to open up your wallets so we can fire this coach and start over. IU can't pay this 10 mil buyout. If you want a new coach, pay up."

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IU should stop getting into this ridiculous contract. A successful coach on his contract extension deserves 10 mil (or more) buyout. I don't know if this is common for coaches hired for the first time at a high major D1 like IU, but this put us in such difficult spot. I feel this is very unfair to bigtime donors who love IU basketball dearly. So what's IU going to tell them?

"Hey, you need to open up your wallets so we can fire this coach and start over. IU can't pay this 10 mil buyout. If you want a new coach, pay up."

Well Alabama just gave Oates an extension and a 10 million buyout. That is a coach who was 16-15 last year and is having his first good year at the school.

We talk about it a lot, but presumably the buyout provision should include (a) offset language, and (b) best efforts requirement for Archie to find comparable employment. 

In essence, if Archie is making $3.2 M in the agreement, he can be assured of making that much even if he gets fired.  But he’s not entitled to a windfall where he can collect the buyout and go to the beach for three years.  So if he gets a job at another school and gets paid $2.5 M under my hypothetical, IU would owe him $700k per year.  

I have not looked up the agreement, but these are fairly standard points and Fred is an attorney.  I’m sure he wouldn’t mess that up.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well Alabama just gave Oates an extension and a 10 million buyout. That is a coach who was 16-15 last year and is having his first good year at the school.

That's the point. Alabama at least witnessed a good season and potential in Nate Oats, but IU didn't even watch a single game and handed out a 10 mil buyout. 

IU doesn't know how to protect itself. That's dumb. 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We talk about it a lot, but presumably the buyout provision should include (a) offset language, and (b) best efforts requirement for Archie to find comparable employment. 

In essence, if Archie is making $3.2 M in the agreement, he can be assured of making that much even if he gets fired.  But he’s not entitled to a windfall where he can collect the buyout and go to the beach for three years.  So if he gets a job at another school and gets paid $2.5 M under my hypothetical, IU would owe him $700k per year.  

I have not looked up the agreement, but these are fairly standard points and Fred is an attorney.  I’m sure he wouldn’t mess that up.  

Thank you for reminding me. I remember this was discussed when Crean was let go. Obviously, offset is not guaranteed, but IU doesn't need to bear the whole financial burden. 

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the other side of the buyout. Oates or his new employer would have to pay that to Bama if he leaves for another job. I don't know what the terms of his pay if he were to be fired are so it may be 10mil as well.

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the other side of the buyout. Oates or his new employer would have to pay that to Bama if he leaves for another job. I don't know what the terms of his pay if he were to be fired are so it may be 10mil as well.

That is what the buyouts are for is to protect the team more than the coach.  You protect yourself if your coach wants to go to another program so the buyout makes it harder for them to just jump to a new job

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is what the buyouts are for is to protect the team more than the coach.  You protect yourself if your coach wants to go to another program so the buyout makes it harder for them to just jump to a new job

I know that's what I said. His "buyout" in terms of firing (like the much discussed Archie one) is If Oats is fired without cause by Alabama, he’d be owed 75% of the remaining base and talent feed owed by the contract.

• KDB locked this topic

Archived