Remy Abell

8 minutes ago, Crimson Creamer said:

Was watching an old game from 2013 and was wondering if anyone knows why Remy Abell was kicked off the team after the season? He would have been a big help the following season when the team struggled. If I remember correctly, his family even met with Crean to try to let him back on the team, but he didn’t allow it.

I'm pretty sure he was creaned. He was recruited over and they were over signed (as usual) so Crean needed someone to go to free up a scholarship.

There were much more likely candidates to be 'Creaned' from that team if it was due to freeing up a scholarship.  Abell was a solid player, and he played decent minutes. Plus, we were losing 4 starters to the NBA / Graduation.  I won't speculate as to why it did happen, but I just don't see it as a move to free up a scholly.   

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There were much more likely candidates to be 'Creaned' from that team if it was due to freeing up a scholarship.  Abell was a solid player, and he played decent minutes. Plus, we were losing 4 starters to the NBA / Graduation.  I won't speculate as to why it did happen, but I just don't see it as a move to free up a scholly.   

I was pretty disappointed Abell left.  He was a 2 year starter for X.

I wouldn't put Remy in the "creaned" category. Pretty sure he saw limited playing time in his future and wanted to go some place with more opportunity, which ended up being Xavier. I believe it worked out well for him because he ended up being one of their top 3 scorers and played a lot more minutes than at IU. That was the same season Crean ended up bringing in a very large recruiting class but I don't believe it was a case where Remy was forced out.

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

I wouldn't put Remy in the "creaned" category. Pretty sure he saw limited playing time in his future and wanted to go some place with more opportunity, which ended up being Xavier. I believe it worked out well for him because he ended up being one of their top 3 scorers and played a lot more minutes than at IU. That was the same season Crean ended up bringing in a very large recruiting class but I don't believe it was a case where Remy was forced out.

I'd always heard Crean told him that Sheehey was going to be the starter ahead of him and Remy wanted to start so he transferred...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd always heard Crean told him that Sheehey was going to be the starter ahead of him and Remy wanted to start so he transferred...

That team only had 4 starters though.  Sheehey, Yogi, Vonleh, and Troy.  The 5th starter was a revolving door of Stan Robinson, Jeremy Hollowell, Austin Etherington, and Evan Gordon.  

Abell's transfer may have been the beginning of the end for Crean.  If he would have stayed, it would have lessened the blow of the failure of the Movement.   

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That team only had 4 starters though.  Sheehey, Yogi, Vonleh, and Troy.  The 5th starter was a revolving door of Stan Robinson, Jeremy Hollowell, Austin Etherington, and Evan Gordon.  

Abell's transfer may have been the beginning of the end for Crean.  If he would have stayed, it would have lessened the blow of the failure of the Movement.   

Ya know, I had never put them together.  Big mistake by Crean.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I misremembering there was a disciplinary issue with Remy? 

That's what I remember. There was a disciplinary issue and Crean kicked him off, it was in the off-season if I remember correctly, so there wasn't a ton of noise about it. 

Abel and his mom tried to get him reinstated and Crean said no. 

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's what I remember. There was a disciplinary issue and Crean kicked him off, it was in the off-season if I remember correctly, so there wasn't a ton of noise about it. 

Abel and his mom tried to get him reinstated and Crean said no. 

That's how I remember it, too. I have a vague memory of what it was, but don't want to post it in case I'm wrong because my memory isn't a particularly PG memory. 

15 hours ago, Crimson Creamer said:

Was watching an old game from 2013 and was wondering if anyone knows why Remy Abell was kicked off the team after the season? He would have been a big help the following season when the team struggled. If I remember correctly, his family even met with Crean to try to let him back on the team, but he didn’t allow it.

He left on his own, and then tried to come back was told he already made his decision.

Archived