MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You do realize what conference Gonzaga plays in. You don’t think Trayce would shoot 67% as well?

I don't care what league  you play in because you should be able to hit your shots from 3 feet away.  I have seen IU guards in the past shoot better from 2 than what TJD and Race shoots from inside.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Glad you finally realize you were wrong.  So if we had Brunk what do you think our record would be.  I don't see him changing more than maybe 1 win difference.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Trying to convince people that Brunk would fix our terrible back court issues.  Good call

I'm not going to waste my time explaining anything to people I've explained it to 3 times...

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

How a guy who is slow for a center can help our guard play be more consistent and it their shots.  Lol not likely.  And if that worked why didn’t it last year?

Joey Brunk would’ve helped, no doubt about it.  Unless he developed guard skills over the off season our same issues would still be there.  Al and Rob are terrible.  Worst part of it all is Al is more consistent than Rob.  This team and coach aren’t cutting it.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Joey Brunk would’ve helped, no doubt about it.  Unless he developed guard skills over the off season our same issues would still be there.  Al and Rob are terrible.  Worst part of it all is Al is more consistent than Rob.  This team and coach aren’t cutting it.

One more time...

Today, Izzo took advantage of our smaller guards by putting Gabe Brown in and playing him for 29 minutes. 2 bigs and Brown created a mismatch.

We cannot play Jerome Hunter with Race and Trayce because he's the only frontcourt depth, unless you want to turn to a 6'6 freshman.

If we had Joey available, we COULD play Jerome with 2 bigs and be ok on our depth...

And MSU isn't the first time we've been exploited that way...

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not going to waste my time explaining anything to people I've explained it to 3 times...

There is nothing to explain because  we all understand basketball and what you are saying is wrong.  It doesn't matter if you say it a 100 times it doesn't make it correct.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One more time...

Today, Izzo took advantage of our smaller guards by putting Gabe Brown in and playing him for 29 minutes. 2 bigs and Brown created a mismatch.

We cannot play Jerome Hunter with Race and Trayce because he's the only frontcourt depth, unless you want to turn to a 6'6 freshman.

If we had Joey available, we COULD play Jerome with 2 bigs and be ok on our depth...

I’m fully aware of our roster and situations.  Joey would’ve helped but to say he makes a big difference is not true.  Love Joey, great person, one of the best you’ll ever meet but he’s really not a big ten level player.  Can’t jump, can’t shoot, decent rebounder, not a shot blocker, not a scorer, just doesn’t belong on a well constructed team.  There was only one major mismatch, and that was on the sidelines holding a clipboard.  Pretty simple....

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There is nothing to explain because  we all understand basketball and what you are saying is wrong.  It doesn't matter if you say it a 100 times it doesn't make it correct.

Whatever dude...you always want to hang your hat on "I've watched basketball for x number of years."

I have a few more... And you're showing your lack of basketball history by insisting that Williams was offered the UNC job when Smith retired... 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Whatever dude...you always want to hang your hat on "I've watched basketball for x number of years."

I have a few more... And you're showing your lack of basketball history by insisting that Williams was offered the UNC job when Smith retired... 

sorry Scott but he’s right on Williams.  It was after Doherty that he was offered the job.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

sorry Scott but he’s right on Williams.  It was after Doherty that he was offered the job.

He turned them down and then they hired Daugherty and then Dean again after firing Daugherty went to him and at first turned it down.  He finally said yes after Dean kept after him.  I still say that if he wasn't a former alumni and assistant he would have never went there.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't say after Dean retired. He was offered after Guthridge retired.  then after Daugherty was fired he turned them down but finally changed his mind.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One more time...

Exactly. Nobody ever said Brunk was the savior. Everyone agreed his minutes should have gone down this year. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been important to the season. 

Brunk is not a great starting center at this level, but he's a more than average backup center and that is an important role IU has been devoid of all season, and as something like a 6th year senior Brunk would have been good at. 

I'd argue IU could potentially have 2-4 more wins if Brunk was fully healthy. I think we most likely win the Wisconsin game and the home Illinois game with Brunk. In both games Geronimo hurt us when he was in. He played more minutes in the Illinois game, but Wisconsin went on a run in his 6 minutes in that game. 

You could also argue the FSU game too. Despite it ending even, we got killed on the boards down the stretch in that game and in overtime. 

So no, Brunk isn't the savior and he doesn't solve any guard problems, but we've lost 3 OT games against top 15 or so teams and to think he wouldn't have made a difference when we had no backup center in those games and all three teams feature good inside players, doesn't make sense. 

I feel like I'm at a Bears watch party. Lots of bitc---- but no solutions. Best solution right now is to ride this thing out and hope the players might actually challenge each other in a game. Instead of saying my bad....the other guy should say you just ef---- cost us a possession.

This time of year until the F4 is all on the players. Once the F4 hits it's a coaches game.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One more time...

It sucks that Joey is out. Truly. But losing a backup for the year is not a rare hardship for a college basketball team. Other than a few tweaked ankles, we've had a healthy team most all of the season. We also have open scholarships available, because Archie was unwilling or unable to use them to improve the depth or talent of his roster. Maybe a healthy Joey would indeed be the difference in a few wins. But the roster is the responsibility of the head coach, and if can't absorb a season-ending injury to a backup center, that's a problematic roster.

Archie isn't the only coach to endure hardship. We can't keep excusing disappointing seasons because something happened that was outside of Archie's control. Because there's always going to be some extenuating event. At some point you have to concede the results are what they are.

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. Nobody ever said Brunk was the savior. Everyone agreed his minutes should have gone down this year. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been important to the season. 

Brunk is not a great starting center at this level, but he's a more than average backup center and that is an important role IU has been devoid of all season, and as something like a 6th year senior Brunk would have been good at. 

I'd argue IU could potentially have 2-4 more wins if Brunk was fully healthy. I think we most likely win the Wisconsin game and the home Illinois game with Brunk. In both games Geronimo hurt us when he was in. He played more minutes in the Illinois game, but Wisconsin went on a run in his 6 minutes in that game. 

You could also argue the FSU game too. Despite it ending even, we got killed on the boards down the stretch in that game and in overtime. 

So no, Brunk isn't the savior and he doesn't solve any guard problems, but we've lost 3 OT games against top 15 or so teams and to think he wouldn't have made a difference when we had no backup center in those games and all three teams feature good inside players, doesn't make sense. 

Probably we are marginally better with Brunk than without him. Saying he is worth 2-3 extra wins is a stretch.

In any case, you are talking about a mediocre senior role player taking the bench minutes of a promising freshman. If that's what it takes for this program to make the tournament, this thing is probably not salvageable.

Would this team have a better record if Joey Brunk had been healthy all season?  Probably.

Should we have been able to win today's game without Joey Brunk?  Yes.

At this point in the season his absence is an excuse, and not a very good one.  We've had time to adapt.  This is not Scott May or Alan Henderson going down.    

Archived