MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I missed first half taking my daughter to the beach. We had a stretch there in the second we looked good but Henry just took over. Again we had issues with dribble penetration. Henry getting into the lane, Watts...a lot of kick out 3s when help defense came. Have to stop dribble penetration. Henry got anything he wanted...he was a matchup nightmare for us...to big for our smaller wings to quick for bigger guys. State finally got big contributions from their big time recruits. Hadn’t seen them do that all year...had to be us.

One thing that really hurt our matchups was Armaan getting his 4th foul with 9 minutes and change left in the game...we were up 52-49 at that point and Langford drove in and Armaan tried to take a charge, but they got the call and the and 1...

Not saying it was a bad call, but having the only guy who could halfway handle Henry out with 10 to go in a close game hurt a lot...

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They used isolation with Henry and Langford very well. Henry played a great game, but Langford scored 12 of his 14 in the second half...that was the dagger...

And after Jerome hit his first shot, I thought he was going to have a day like he did against Minnesota...but he missed his second and third shots badly and it seemed to affect his defense and inside toughness...he recovered a little in the second half, but too little, too late...

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One thing that really hurt our matchups was Armaan getting his 4th foul with 9 minutes and change left in the game...we were up 52-49 at that point and Langford drove in and Armaan tried to take a charge, but they got the call and the and 1...

Not saying it was a bad call, but having the only guy who could halfway handle Henry out with 10 to go in a close game hurt a lot...

Armaan clearly had a foot in the restricted zone.  It was a good call.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think they probably made the right call, I always like to see refs lean toward the offensive player on block/charge calls, but IMO Armaan got his heels up in the air and was not touching the line. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I stated I wasn't saying it was a bad call. It was close...Dakich thought it was bad, but he kinda tipped his hand that he was pulling for his alma mater late in the game..

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think they probably made the right call, I always like to see refs lean toward the offensive player on block/charge calls, but IMO Armaan got his heels up in the air and was not touching the line. 

His heel may have been up, but the one foot was far enough in the zone, the front part of his foot was touching the line as well.  the other foot was okay. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm actually putting myself through the pain of watching the replay right now.... He has praised TJD several times. I'm stumped. 

Another note on the game, it was one of the better officiated games I've seen all year. 

i thought Dakich was fine, but i'm sure it was when he said something about how he felt in the past TJD was too focused on himself.  i don't think it was a big deal at all.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

His heel may have been up, but the one foot was far enough in the zone, the front part of his foot was touching the line as well.  the other foot was okay. 

Same as IUFLA, I don't disagree with the call, but we see how Armaan's feet were positioned differently. I haven't gone back and looked at a screenshot or anything though, so just going off the quick replay from TV, so I could be wrong.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Same as IUFLA, I don't disagree with the call, but we see how Armaan's feet were positioned differently. I haven't gone back and looked at a screenshot or anything though, so just going off the quick replay from TV, so I could be wrong. 

Screenshot_20210221-080403.thumb.png.d0bc428eb2528c41d184cb74fa4ae105.png

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Frankly, from this view, both feet could be in the restricted zone.  And, if that right foot is not considered in the restricted zone, that's a absurd technicality.  

The right foot isn't in the zone. If you're on your toes and your heels are over the line but not touching it, then you're not in the zone. 

The left foot looks like it could be on the line, but also not the best view in that shot. 

Again to be clear, I'm not complaining about the call. I hate how college refs call everything a charge. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Frankly, from this view, both feet could be in the restricted zone.  And, if that right foot is not considered in the restricted zone, that's a absurd technicality.  

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The right foot isn't in the zone. If you're on your toes and your heels are over the line but not touching it, then you're not in the zone. 

The left foot looks like it could be on the line, but also not the best view in that shot. 

Again to be clear, I'm not complaining about the call. I hate how college refs call everything a charge. 

Looking at that, I think it was a good call...

Either way though, Armaan getting #4 that early hurt...

And then there's the Langford 3 that rattled around, went straight up, and dropped through...

Just a comment/admission/rant. I don't know what it is about myself and IU basketball but maybe it's my love of the program where I'll defend our coach to the death. I defended Davis until the very end. Decided to look the other way on Sampson for the sake of winning. Truly believed in Crean with 3 Sweet 16's in 5 years until that just died and died quickly.

Enter Archie. Every team in the Midwest that was looking for a coach wanted him....or at least their fans did. Archie gets the gig. We have the big early win vs ND when Gus Johnson told the nation better days are ahead. Lands Romeo and the optimism starts building. I remember Rob hitting the 3 to beat Butler....you could see parts coming together for the future. Would have made the tourney last year in year 3....but still was a struggle.

Now here we are. In year 4. Maybe my love for IU to do well blinds me in objectively evaluating what's going on. All I do know that if this was any of my other teams (Bears, Cubs, Canes,etc..) I'd be saying enough is enough the coach is gone.

Why can't I do that with IU hoops? All I know is I'm so tired of trying to be patient and explain or defend,etc...a program that I love so much. 

Not really a post with much substance just a rant I guess. Tired of being tired I guess.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a comment/admission/rant. I don't know what it is about myself and IU basketball but maybe it's my love of the program where I'll defend our coach to the death. I defended Davis until the very end. Decided to look the other way on Sampson for the sake of winning. Truly believed in Crean with 3 Sweet 16's in 5 years until that just died and died quickly.

Enter Archie. Every team in the Midwest that was looking for a coach wanted him....or at least their fans did. Archie gets the gig. We have the big early win vs ND when Gus Johnson told the nation better days are ahead. Lands Romeo and the optimism starts building. I remember Rob hitting the 3 to beat Butler....you could see parts coming together for the future. Would have made the tourney last year in year 3....but still was a struggle.

Now here we are. In year 4. Maybe my love for IU to do well blinds me in objectively evaluating what's going on. All I do know that if this was any of my other teams (Bears, Cubs, Canes,etc..) I'd be saying enough is enough the coach is gone.

Why can't I do that with IU hoops? All I know is I'm so tired of trying to be patient and explain or defend,etc...a program that I love so much. 

Not really a post with much substance just a rant I guess. Tired of being tired I guess.

I know what you're saying. But I think after next year we'll have our answer and it'll be a clear one...

Any change before then is only going to keep us down for another 3 or 4 years..and even then that's IF we get the right coach...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know what you're saying. But I think after next year we'll have our answer and it'll be a clear one...

Any change before then is only going to keep us down for another 3 or 4 years..and even then that's IF we get the right coach...

That's what I keep thinking as well. If TJD comes back we really could have something within our conference with so many teams losing top players. So I tell myself if that happens...patience was the right path. On the flip side if TJD does leave. Wouldn't that be the right time to switch up because if he leaves next year doesn't look  much better on paper? I don't know. Just trying to evaluate as much as I can.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I keep thinking as well. If TJD comes back we really could have something within our conference with so many teams losing top players. So I tell myself if that happens...patience was the right path. On the flip side if TJD does leave. Wouldn't that be the right time to switch up because if he leaves next year doesn't look  much better on paper? I don't know. Just trying to evaluate as much as I can.

One thing I keep thinking is that if they would make a change after this year, with the relaxed transfer rules and other options available to the players, we might be looking at a wholesale roster change...maybe not on the order of what Crean inherited, but a drastically different roster...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

One thing I keep thinking is that if they would make a change after this year, with the relaxed transfer rules and other options available to the players, we might be looking at a wholesale roster change...maybe not on the order of what Crean inherited, but a drastically different roster...

And that's where I could understand a change being made if TJD leaves. New coach. Let's players do what they want....but someone could piece a roster together pretty quickly with all of the transfers out there and allow new coach to target the 22 class heavy with early playing time being available. 

Just wish I wasn't even having these conversations so I'll put a wrap on it until the end. Just thinking out loud. 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

IF we get the right coach.....there are many examples in which the “right coach” did not keep down a program for 3 or 4 years. Change is always a risk but is is not a “given” that a new coach will automatically lead to 3-4 more “down” years.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Archie has to upgrade the point guard spot though. If I was him, I would be very uncomfortable going into next season with Phinisee and Lander as my only options there. IMO Stewart is more of a Durham replacement. IU needs a significant upgrade at point guard. 

I like Lander's potential, but the fact of the matter is he hasn't made a basket inside the 3pt line since the first 30 seconds of his first game, and it's not like he's a good 3pt shooter. 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Disagree.  People are saying we may have the pieces to a decent team next year if Miller stays.  With the transfer rules this year, I think now is the perfect time to go out and get a guy and not have to be worried about the 3 to 4 year rebuild.  With a bunch of the young players being from Indiana, I think a new coach has a good chance of convincing guys to stay.

Our crappy luck on picking coaches has everyone believing that it takes 3 or 4 years to build a program and that is not always true.  The cupboard is not bare right now and the transfer market is wide open for guys that can play immediately.  IMO, this might be the best time to cut ties if you know it is going to happen anyway.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Galloway, Leal, Lander, Phinisee, TJD, and Franklin are all from Indiana.  I doubt any of them go anywhere.   Brunk might be in for another year.  You could lose Duncomb but I think that is an easy recruit job back.  Race Thompson has probably built friendships and a comfort level with Indiana that make it not a fair accompli that he would leave.  The Parker kid just transferred here, he might be tired of moving around and see a nice roster spot for himself on this team.

I think we are just as likely to see certain transfers this year with certain guys regardless of whether Miller is the coach.

We are in the death spirals though.  We got fans going at players on Twitter (I flipping hate Twitter), families going after announcers, players clapping back at fans....this thing is over.  Even if Miller limps into the tournament next year it is over.  He lost a significant portion of the fanbase and I don't think he has the ability to deliver the type of sustained results it would take to win them back.

So if we are going to do this anyway, let's get it done in a year when the new coach can immediately bring in transfers to fit his style and our own players who do not have the ability to fit in the new style can leave and play immediately.  It's over, now is the best time.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Archie has to upgrade the point guard spot though. If I was him, I would be very uncomfortable going into next season with Phinisee and Lander as my only options there. IMO Stewart is more of a Durham replacement. IU needs a significant upgrade at point guard. 

I like Lander's potential, but the fact of the matter is he hasn't made a basket inside the 3pt line since the first 30 seconds of his first game, and it's not like he's a good 3pt shooter. 

McKinley Wright

25 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

The administration is okay with mediocrity. I sure as hell am not. I’m not donating another penny unless something drastic happens. 

Excuses will only grant you mediocrity. If they intend to return to relevance then they will find a way. 

This programs identity is still the same one that gets thumped by an ISU on its home floor. 

Archived