MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, 9 kids ranked in the top 100 RSCI (3 top 50) isn't enough talent?

Talent they have...coaching they have...team play and player leadership they didn't...until today...

IMO a lot of their players are overrated or too young.  From what I’ve seen of them in other games, they aren’t very good as a whole.  They have a rotation of bigs that is pretty darn weak.  Henry is good and Langford is experienced.  Watts is more hype than substance.  Hauser is a liability.  It doesn’t matter what he’s ranked or what his empty stats are.  

But every team in the B1G will have scholarship players.  Of course they all do.   We have to get past the point that we throw out an excuse that a loss is understandable because a 4-10 team has good players.  We have to take care of business in games like this and the one against Northwestern.  

I like Archie and want him to win.  But I’m not going to cover up for deficiencies and negative outcomes.  

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, 9 kids ranked in the top 100 RSCI (3 top 50) isn't enough talent?

Talent they have...coaching they have...team play and player leadership they didn't...until today...

Yet they have lost by 30 points twice this year including last weekend.  That same team that only scored 37 points at Rutgers.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well I e-mailed Dolson a few weeks ago to voice my displeasure where the program was but didn't mention anything about Archie.  Today I just e-mailed him once again but this time to say that a coaching change needs to be made at the end of the year.  I mentioned how so many long time fans are fed up and they really don't care about IU basketball any longer.  I will still watch every game hoping we win but as long as Archie hear I don't expect much more than a .500 record at best.  I told him if he starts losing fans like me who has followed IU for ov r45 years then your program will be in deep trouble.

that should get it done

I made a point of watching the entire game because I was excited at the prospect of bolstering our NCAA tournament hopes based on all the talk about this game being a key win to achieve that. Shook off my apathy for an hour, at least. The second half brought the apathy back in a strong fashion.

Man it will suck to miss the tournament in a year where the entire thing is being played in our state. That hurts pretty bad. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Archie and want him to win.  But I’m not going to cover up for deficiencies and negative outcomes.  

I'm not either, but I think saying MSU doesn't have talent is not correct. I saw them early in the season when they were ranked, and I thought at the time I thought they'd contend for the B1G championship.

The first indication I saw that they weren't a typical MSU team was against Northwestern. They didn't look like the same team.

A lot of their issue I lay at the feet of the guy who killed us today...Henry. Izzo was counting on him to pick up the leadership mantle, and he hadn't. 

In there first 3 B1G losses he averaged 11 ppg on 41 % overall and 25% shooting from 3.

Lately he's picked it up, but probably too late for them.

As for us, I keep saying we are what we are. Inconsistent. We can beat pretty much anyone in the league, and we can lose to anyone in the league...

And it all depends on 2 guys in the backcourt...

Hard to compete in the Big 10 when your starting upperclassmen guards play at a Missouri Valley level or worse.  The inconsistency is killing us.  This is on Archie. How did he not realize the limitations of these 2 and went out and found some transfers last offseason that could play right away?  Rob is pretty solid on defense and anything else he brings is a bonus and Al is a spot up shooter only.  They should be role players in the rotation, but not starters.  Maybe he tried to find backcourt upgrades, but failed. That would still be on him also.   

I don't see how next year will be any different. We have Stewart replacing Al.  Lander, Leal, and Galloway have played well at times, but they may be another season away from being consistent contributors.  We will really need 2 of the 3 to make a Franklin-like leap going into their Sophmore seasons.  If Archie fails to upgrade the backcourt this offseason and misses the tournament, it will be time to move on.  The tournament is still a possibility, but it is looking like a stretch.  If we split the remaining 4 games (assuming we don't make up the Michigan game) and go 1 and 1 in the Big 10 tournament, that puts us as 15-13 for the season.  Will that be enough to get into the tournament? I think it is possible, but we can't finish any worse than that or we are out. 

2 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Hard to compete in the Big 10 when your starting upperclassmen guards play at a Missouri Valley level or worse.  The inconsistency is killing us.  This is on Archie. How did he not realize the limitations of these 2 and went out and found some transfers last offseason that could play right away?  Rob is pretty solid on defense and anything else he brings is a bonus and Al is a spot up shooter only.  They should be role players in the rotation, but not starters.  Maybe he tried to find backcourt upgrades, but failed. That would still be on him also.   

I don't see how next year will be any different. We have Stewart replacing Al.  Lander, Leal, and Galloway have played well at times, but they may be another season away from being consistent contributors.  We will really need 2 of the 3 to make a Franklin-like leap going into their Sophmore seasons.  If Archie fails to upgrade the backcourt this offseason and misses the tournament, it will be time to move on.  The tournament is still a possibility, but it is looking like a stretch.  If we split the remaining 4 games (assuming we don't make up the Michigan game) and go 1 and 1 in the Big 10 tournament, that puts us as 15-13 for the season.  Will that be enough to get into the tournament? I think it is possible, but we can't finish any worse than that or we are out. 

Good points.  Rob is really the type of kid who can come in off the bench. Maybe he’s a spot player who you put in when another team has a guard torching us.  Al as a senior being insanely unreliable is inexcusable. He’s terrible off the bounce on both ends.  Both Al and Rob have their moments but it’s so inconsistent and not frequent enough.  You can’t win with these guys playing a third of your total minutes or whatever it is.  

I think the only answer is to put the ball into Franklin’s hands. 

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IMO a lot of their players are overrated or too young.

Out of the 6 upper classmen in their rotation (and I'm counting Loyer, who didn't play due to injury today, but is normally in the rotation) you know the only 2 that weren't ranked in the top 100?

Henry and Kithier...

34 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

kind of a lot to call it absurd.  i mean, sure if we win 3 of at Rutgers, vs. Michigan, at MSU, and at Purdue.  just hard to imagine.    

You just described it being perfectly in reach. 

It is absurd to say the tournament is out of reach. Rather or not we make it is a completely different discussion, but it's right there for us to make. We don't need help or a collapse from anyone else. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well I e-mailed Dolson a few weeks ago to voice my displeasure where the program was but didn't mention anything about Archie.  Today I just e-mailed him once again but this time to say that a coaching change needs to be made at the end of the year.  I mentioned how so many long time fans are fed up and they really don't care about IU basketball any longer.  I will still watch every game hoping we win but as long as Archie hear I don't expect much more than a .500 record at best.  I told him if he starts losing fans like me who has followed IU for ov r45 years then your program will be in deep trouble.

This post got me thinking.  The Athletics department is in deep need of cash so without a donor it’s going to be hard to buy out Archie yet on the flip do you actually do more harm if you don’t make a change?  I would be interested how the top and mid high donors feel right now and if they are reaching out to Dolson as well.  Right now the threat of reduced money coming in could force a change.  I know some people are still furloughed  or just came back from furlough.  It’s going to be an interesting choice at the end of the season if this season continues on this path.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Out of the 6 upper classmen in their rotation (and I'm counting Loyer, who didn't play due to injury today, but is normally in the rotation) you know the only 2 that weren't ranked in the top 100?

Henry and Kithier...

and i am usually all about the rankings/talent matters, so there is that.  the eye test says they are not a good team and so does their entire body of work this season.  

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You just described it being perfectly in reach. 

It is absurd to say the tournament is out of reach. Rather or not we make it is a completely different discussion, but it's right there for us to make. We don't need help or a collapse from anyone else. 

eh, i mainly meant that you are often overly aggressive, but sure...it's not out of reach.  it's fine that we rarely agree, but i ask this out of curiosity - do you think we'll win 2 or 3 of those games?  admittedly it's extremely hard to predict any game with this team, but if you had to, what do you think?  i say 1-3, but who knows?

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

eh, i mainly meant that you are often overly aggressive, but sure...it's not out of reach.  it's fine that we rarely agree, but i ask this out of curiosity - do you think we'll win 2 or 3 of those games?  admittedly it's extremely hard to predict any game with this team, but if you had to, what do you think?  i say 1-3, but who knows?

We have the BTT to win games as well.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They have talent but that doesn't matter if you are playing terribly.  There is a reason they were 4-9 and lost 88-58 7 days ago

As I said, the 81 team taught me never to give up on a team. That team had talent, underperformed, and then found their stride. I'm not comparing MSU to that team by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have talent, it can kick in sometime.

And you guys who're wanting Archie's scalp need to get your stories straight. Half of you beeyotch about subbing patterns, and you in particular gripe about leaving them out there til they're floppy legged, yet another faction says play the freshmen more minutes. 

My opinion, if we do either one of those things our season will truly be in the toilet...

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

In all honesty I still think we make the tournament. 

So I will just post this and wait for the backlash as that is mostly what goes on here on the board anymore. While I was watching the Kansas TTU game which both teams struggled offensively. I saw an interesting stat. The score of our game came across the bottom line and it stated that according ESPN BPI we still have a 70% chance to make the tournament even AFTER the loss. So take that however you want as most on here have already made up their mind on this team which is fine I can’t tell you how to be a fan. Just thought I put that out there. 

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

We have to win 2 of the 4 just to get back into consideration with a 14-12 record.  I still go with the fact that no one being 1 game over .500 has ever made the tournament. So even if we are 14-12 going into the BTT I think we would still have to win one game in the BTT to get a bid into the tournament.

Archived