MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, the 81 team taught me never to give up on a team. That team had talent, underperformed, and then found their stride. I'm not comparing MSU to that team by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have talent, it can kick in sometime.

And you guys who're wanting Archie's scalp need to get your stories straight. Half of you beeyotch about subbing patterns, and you in particular gripe about leaving them out there til they're floppy legged, yet another faction says play the freshmen more minutes. 

My opinion, if we do either one of those things our season will truly be in the toilet...

Well i would agree with you if we had an IT or Wittman on this team.  Also they started out slow but by the time the big ten got going they were hitting their stride.  We only have 4 games left and we are pretty much the team we have seen all year.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, the 81 team taught me never to give up on a team. That team had talent, underperformed, and then found their stride. I'm not comparing MSU to that team by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have talent, it can kick in sometime.

And you guys who're wanting Archie's scalp need to get your stories straight. Half of you beeyotch about subbing patterns, and you in particular gripe about leaving them out there til they're floppy legged, yet another faction says play the freshmen more minutes. 

My opinion, if we do either one of those things our season will truly be in the toilet...

Also in that 81 season RMK didn't sub unless of foul trouble.  I have watched every tournament game from that year and in every game at least 3 guys played the whole  first half.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well i would agree with you if we had an IT or Wittman on this team.  Also they started out slow but by the time the big ten got going they were hitting their stride.  We only have 4 games left and we are pretty much the team we have seen all year.

<Sigh>

That wasn't the point. The point was that teams with talent can find themselves and play well. Heck Michigan State did it within the game today. 9 turnovers in the first half that we built a lead on, then...5 more the rest of the way...and, unlike us, when they had open looks, they hit them...

11 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So I will just post this and wait for the backlash as that is mostly what goes on here on the board anymore. While I was watching the Kansas TTU game which both teams struggled offensively. I saw an interesting stat. The score of our game came across the bottom line and it stated that according ESPN BPI we still have a 70% chance to make the tournament even AFTER the loss. So take that however you want as most on here have already made up their mind on this team which is fine I can’t tell you how to be a fan. Just thought I put that out there. 

According to most we are still in the tourney. I have a bigger problem with that being the goal each year...but I'll save that for after the season. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

It really is sad that that is our goal

Not mine but I think I know what you mean. I'll save that stuff for later but making the tourney should never be the goal. Ever.....and I think that's what I've really disappointed in the last 20 years. Which makes me curious what do we as fans not know going on behind the scenes. What is the collective problem where we've sent more players to the league in the last 15 years but never can make it work except for a few seasons. 

Coaching? Players? Admin? I don't know. Just trying to look beyond just seeing our Jr/Sr guards throw the ball away at crucial moments every game we lose. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It really is sad that that is our goal

I don't think anyone would say that is the goal for the program; but for this season, at this point in it, I think we'd all like to see us finish well enough to make the tournament and see what an Archie coached team can do in the tournament. 

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

In all honesty I still think we make the tournament. 

and i really can't argue as it's nearly impossible to predict with this team, but i would think it would be considered an upset if we win any of those 4.  so we'd have to pull at least 2 upsets then win a game or 2 in the BTT.  i'm not a very optimistic person when it comes to my sports teams, and i'm not optimistic on this.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Besides Lander none of our guards were ranked in the top 100.  I know ratings don't always tell the story but for the most part when your guards are ranked around 100-125 you won't get a consistent contributor.  I know I don't want a lot of one and done players.  We need to have more talented guards who can compete at a high level in every game.  AL and RP just isn't consistent and we know it won't change.

I want a coach who will bring back the Indiana style of basketball.  That is smart and heady players with high basketball IQ's.  I want players who can make their teammates better and show leadership.  Most importantly they need to bring in guys who can shoot the ball from all positions.  Even our big guys shooting percentage is not great from 2 since most of those misses are from 5 feet.

I absolutely believe this is an important point.  Some coaches can mold a team from above average/good recruits - but it hasn't happened under CAM.  

I think it can be argued that the best season a player has had in these 4 seasons was Juwan Morgan, who this coach/staff probably had little effect on his development.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not mine but I think I know what you mean. I'll save that stuff for later but making the tourney should never be the goal. Ever.....and I think that's what I've really disappointed in the last 20 years. Which makes me curious what do we as fans not know going on behind the scenes. What is the collective problem where we've sent more players to the league in the last 15 years but never can make it work except for a few seasons. 

Coaching? Players? Admin? I don't know. Just trying to look beyond just seeing our Jr/Sr guards throw the ball away at crucial moments every game we lose. 

Making the tournament is the floor for this program or it should be but we haven't been good for 20+ years.

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and i really can't argue as it's nearly impossible to predict with this team, but i would think it would be considered an upset if we win any of those 4.  so we'd have to pull at least 2 upsets then win a game or 2 in the BTT.  i'm not a very optimistic person when it comes to my sports teams, and i'm not optimistic on this.

I still think we will be favored in East Lansing, or at least would be if you were making a line today, but I understand your point.

On the flip side, do you really think we will get swept by three teams that are relatively even to us to close out the season? I just don't see that happening, but I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I absolutely believe this is an important point.  Some coaches can mold a team from above average/good recruits - but it hasn't happened under CAM.  

I think it can be argued that the best season a player has had in these 4 seasons was Juwan Morgan, who this coach/staff probably had little effect on his development.

So now we aren't giving CAM any credit for Juwan Morgan? I mean he went from a nice player to an NBA player under CAM, but sure, let's not give his coach any credit for that. 

I'm not sure how you can say CAM deserves no credit for Morgan, but then somehow still hold him at fault that a guy like Rob Phinisee hasn't developed how we've needed. 

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I hate to bring up Painter but he brings in guys who he knows fits his system and won't bring in guys who don't fit.  They don't get big time recruits to often but he does make them into good teams.  He went through that stretch around 2012 where he went away from his philosophy and it bit him but he changed it back to his old ways

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I still think we will be favored in East Lansing, or at least would be if you were making a line today, but I understand your point.

On the flip side, do you really think we will get swept by three teams that are relatively even to us to close out the season? I just don't see that happening, but I could be wrong. 

I don't see us beating UM unless they totally come out flat.  We have lost like 8 in a row to PU so I have no confidence that we will win at Mackey.  I can see us battling Rutgers but they do have guys who can drive to the basket which kills us.  Also TJD has not faired well going up against Johnson and guys with his size.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So now we aren't giving CAM any credit for Juwan Morgan? I mean he went from a nice player to an NBA player under CAM, but sure, let's not give his coach any credit for that. 

I'm not sure how you can say CAM deserves no credit for Morgan, but then somehow still hold him at fault that a guy like Rob Phinisee hasn't developed how we've needed. 

Or even in recent months. Anyone catch Armaan Franklin? He was outside the top 100. Seems like a pretty good jump from year 1 to 2 to me. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

People who are sure as heck that we're missing the tournament are smoking something, IMO.  I'm not ready to guarantee we'll make it, but we're a lot closer to making it than missing it.

Yes if the season ended today we might make it but we still have 4 difficult games left.  I think we would have to win at least two of them and one game in the BTT to get a bid.  It drives me crazy when in the NFL when people say if the season ended today we would be in the playoffs but there are 5 games to go.

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

People who are sure as heck that we're missing the tournament are smoking something, IMO.  I'm not ready to guarantee we'll make it, but we're a lot closer to making it than missing it.

If this season ended today I’d say we are in...but I think people are looking at what will end up with record wise after the next four. I think we bounce back and win a couple of these. Still squandered a great chance today. Not sure what it is about assembly Hall but opponents seem to have breakout shooting performances against us.

12 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Looking at our schedule hard to believe.  We are more than likely going to have a sub .500 record.  Maybe a .500 record. 

Archived