Has the clock stopped on “Miller Time?”

Danomatic

There’s a lot of Indiana media and even a few national pundits questioning what’s happening with Indiana basketball. When this happens, there’s usually some smoke coming along with it. Is it time to move? I personally think he gets another year, just because it seems as if IU basketball’s success is no longer a concern to the university. If they do have a change of heart, it must be for a proven commodity. IU can no longer afford to make lateral moves. 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller?fbclid=IwAR2C9M9xTIV0I8A27u4RawP6cG9ySREK0eV-NbaZXQ6hHF0MSdgA2cg4mRE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This jumped out at me.

Big Ten defenses are so good that they all know the Hoosiers' base plays as well as they do. It's simplistic, and easy to cover. All those handoffs generate nothing.

I know, and that’s not good news for Arch(or the boys) moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

If he's back next year, it will only be because our administration doesn't want to pay his buyout. No other reason to keep him around. This program is dead in the water right now. 

Here's the tough part for me, I'm beginning to feel like I did at the end of Crean's last year (though I was ready for a change 2 years prior). I would never root against IU while watching the games, but at the same time as you come to conclusion that a change needs to be made then it's almost counterproductive to hope the team makes the NCAA Tournament. 

I can almost see Indiana's athletic department breathing a sign of relief as IU gets an 11 seed with an under .500 conference record, with the admin thinking, "Yes! Now we just bought ourselves another 2-3 years without having to make a decision". 

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Here's the tough part for me, I'm beginning to feel like I did at the end of Crean's last year (though I was ready for a change 2 years prior). I would never root against IU while watching the games, but at the same time as you come to conclusion that a change needs to be made then it's almost counterproductive to hope the team makes the NCAA Tournament. 

I can almost see Indiana's athletic department breathing a sign of relief as IU gets an 11 seed with an under .500 conference record, with the admin thinking, "Yes! Now we just bought ourselves another 2-3 years without having to make a decision". 

It's not really this season that's the concern for me.  It's TJD coming back when he had no intention of and the B1G being very weak due to COVID.  We look much improved next season but it's all smoke and mirrors and Dolson pulls a Glass and gives Archie a mindless extension. 

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's not really this season that's the concern for me.  It's TJD coming back when he had no intention of and the B1G being very weak due to COVID.  We look much improved next season but it's all smoke and mirrors and Dolson pulls a Glass and gives Archie a mindless extension. 

That's where we disagree. I'm confident enough in Archie that if we can contend for a Big Ten Title next season then I think he can get this going. 

I just think once again that we won't have the guard play  even with TJD back, and it will be another middle-of-the-pack, mediocre season which would be difficult to sit through. 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

I wonder if and hot name like Oats will be considered again or if they’ll go a different route. 

Oates just signed a huge extension. I'm guessing (don't know for a fact) his new buyout number would make him almost impossible to poach for a few years. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's where we disagree. I'm confident enough in Archie that if we can contend for a Big Ten Title next season then I think he can get this going. 

I just think once again that we won't have the guard play  even with TJD back, and it will be another middle-of-the-pack, mediocre season which would be difficult to sit through. 

You don't think between Lander and Phinisee they can handle the point, and Stewart the 2 duties?

I'm hopeful on that...I think this summer will be critical in Lander's development from a physical perspective...

And if I'm Archie, I tell him to worry about running the team first, defense 1A, and shooting...10th 😁

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just disagree.   If we return our entire team but most of the B1G loses key players it doesn't really mean much if we finish a little higher in the B1G standings next season. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You don't think between Lander and Phinisee they can handle the point, and Stewart the 2 duties?

I'm hopeful on that...I think this summer will be critical in Lander's development from a physical perspective...

And if I'm Archie, I tell him to worry about running the team first, defense 1A, and shooting...10th 😁

The three freshman guards, Stewart, Armaan and a combo of Al/Phin/transfer.   I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they went after a big time guard transfer.  

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just disagree.   If we return our entire team but most of the B1G loses key players it doesn't really mean much if we finish a little higher in the B1G standings next season. 

I don't mean a little higher, I mean competing for the conference title. If we're at the top of the conference next year, then I think Archie can get momentum going. If TJD comes back and we're still middle of the conference, just a little better, then your scenario is a bad one and I would agree. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The next coach needs to have had some success in a major conference.   Archie runs a gimmick and it just doesn't work with the big boys.

What gimmick are you talking about because the pack line is no gimmick.  Also the offense he runs is what 95 percent of the teams runs.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

But then they continue to back fill with experienced kids.   That’s his whole blueprint.    

Usually teams that win a banner have a lot of upperclassman. 

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What's an acceptable B1G finish under your scenario? 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

At this point, no. Phinisee is a complete mess, maybe an offseason changes that, but this is two years in a row now. 

On Lander, I like his court vision and handles, but I'm not as high on him as others, and I would be really worried going into next season with those two as our only legitimate point guard options. I mean, Lander has made ONE two-point field goal the entire season. I know he's young, but he shouldn't be that far behind. People point to Kira Lewis as a point guard that reclassified as a 17 year old and struggled at Alabama as a freshmen, but he averaged 13.5 ppg and shot 48.6% from the field and 36% from 3 his first year. 

Archived