Has the clock stopped on “Miller Time?”

Danomatic

This stood out to me:

Purdue's freshmen, playing at Nebraska on the same day, outscored Indiana's rookies 36-0. A few weeks ago, they had 51 points in a game on the same day that Indiana's freshmen were shut out, too.

That might only get worse going forward. At least the story implies that to a certain degree. Ultimately the decision at some point resides in the administration. I think as IU basketball fans we'd hope the people with the most influence on the basketball team would want Indiana to be its best self which is being one of the blue bloods in college basketball. I've worked with quite a few college administrations with coaching searches as a consultant. I haven't worked with Indiana. That said, from the outside looking in, I'd have no confidence in our administration to get Indiana where we'd like them to be. The parallels between Alabama football and Indiana basketball are there. They aren't perfect but they are there. In much the same way Nick Saban wasn't leaving the Miami Dolphins, Indiana needs to go out and target their pick and then make them an offer they simply can't refuse. That's the right thing to do and it would make a huge positive impact on the university. The problem is that the Alabama admin didn't mind the thought of Saban and the football team becoming bigger than the university. Now they have Nate Oates too and the athletic department is in incredible shape. 

By all accounts, Indiana simply doesn't want that to happen. What I can't figure out is this:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Clemson ranks #29
Indiana ranks #31

Granted, Clemson isn't Alabama, but just from this one metric, Clemson's academic reputation doesn't seem to be lacking based on Dabo Swinney's success on the football field. I'm an academic/clinician myself and I would never rank Clemson ahead of Indiana (bias aside), but US News does. 

This of course all points back to the IU admin. I've tried for over a decade to figure out any rhyme or reason to their decision making process and I still can't figure it out. I know they aren't calling me :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Franklin went and trained with someone not associated with IU basketball during the off-season. Can’t say his development is because of Archie. He put in tremendous work and honestly the rest of the team need to go to the same talent developer Franklin did after the season. 

Where did he go?

Holy cow.  That was as compelling an article for why we potentially need to make a coaching change as I think I’ve ever read.  Superb writing. Makes a lot of great points, too. 

I think what I’m feeling right now is sadness - I’m sad because I really want this to work for Archie, and I hold out hope it will. But...

11 hours ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

This stood out to me:

Purdue's freshmen, playing at Nebraska on the same day, outscored Indiana's rookies 36-0. A few weeks ago, they had 51 points in a game on the same day that Indiana's freshmen were shut out, too.

That might only get worse going forward. At least the story implies that to a certain degree. Ultimately the decision at some point resides in the administration. I think as IU basketball fans we'd hope the people with the most influence on the basketball team would want Indiana to be its best self which is being one of the blue bloods in college basketball. I've worked with quite a few college administrations with coaching searches as a consultant. I haven't worked with Indiana. That said, from the outside looking in, I'd have no confidence in our administration to get Indiana where we'd like them to be. The parallels between Alabama football and Indiana basketball are there. They aren't perfect but they are there. In much the same way Nick Saban wasn't leaving the Miami Dolphins, Indiana needs to go out and target their pick and then make them an offer they simply can't refuse. That's the right thing to do and it would make a huge positive impact on the university. The problem is that the Alabama admin didn't mind the thought of Saban and the football team becoming bigger than the university. Now they have Nate Oates too and the athletic department is in incredible shape. 

By all accounts, Indiana simply doesn't want that to happen. What I can't figure out is this:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Clemson ranks #29
Indiana ranks #31

Granted, Clemson isn't Alabama, but just from this one metric, Clemson's academic reputation doesn't seem to be lacking based on Dabo Swinney's success on the football field. I'm an academic/clinician myself and I would never rank Clemson ahead of Indiana (bias aside), but US News does. 

This of course all points back to the IU admin. I've tried for over a decade to figure out any rhyme or reason to their decision making process and I still can't figure it out. I know they aren't calling me :)

Great post.  One of the better ones I’ve read in awhile.  Thank you for that.  

Archived