Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, Air Ball said:

Archie has to get this team into the NCAAT.  I really want him to survive this and for IU to excel.  But the PG and guard and lack of shooting are killing IU.  But in all of that is basketball IQ.  These guys do not get it that one cannot turnover the ball like they do.  And they have to put in full effort on defense.  And assist each other on offense.  Is all that up to the coach?   Heck yeah it is.  Get some smart (older) players out there.  Replace the PG now.  Not the coach.

Effort is a huge reason we don't win more games.  Along with the lackadaisical way we pass and hold the ball.  How many terrible and lazy passes do we see go the other way for points.  If we averaged 7 TO's a game, that would translate to 3-4 more wins immediately.  And if we playeds 100% every game and not just when we want, there is another 1-2 games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You forgot Bruce Pearl.  has ties and when he goes all in on his team.  He is part of whatever school he coaches.  Yes he has some issues with NCAA violations but he is still coaching and I think IU is a gig where he could get into that gray area and be just fine.  He is my #1 pick after CAM

The Bruce Pearl that's 11-12 overall and 5-9 (11th) in a weak SEC right now?

That Bruce Pearl?

Jesus, this thread was hilarious before...you guys are making it a comedy classic!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Matta is the only name remotely interesting to me. The rest are committing yourself to another 4-5 years of purgatory. Also, I like the guy but Fife on this list is hilariously bad.

Agree, but I don’t see Matta taking the job of Archie is fired, only if he leaves for another job. 

Drew’s record over 19 years is only marginally better than Crean over 21. Both have major rebuilds that blemish their records, although Drew’s was an even bigger task. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Context.  100 coaches were polled.  Crean got 3 votes.  Drew got something like 34. votes.  Drew was one vote behind Cal.  3 votes could be that some random coach just did not like Crean personally.  30+ votes means something else entirely.  

Crean was still on the list. What is the cutoff for the votes to be legit versus just having a beef with the coach? To me, you either accept them all as legit concerns or dismiss them all. It wasn't a scientifically run poll so it could be that they happened to poll more coaches from that just didn't dislike Drew. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

No way Fife would be in tier 1.  If Scott Drew has not done anything wrong why was he voted as one of the dirtiest  coaches in the game.  This is what is wrong if the tier 1 is the best we can do because it is not very encouraging.  The only two I would take in that tier would be Matta and Beilein.  I would have to look deep into Altman because he is a good coach but would like to see how much Nike has helped him at Oregon.

OMG... still agreeing with Scott.  so many people on this board are ready to condemn a guy for his past.  i'm fine with that, but would throw Drew right in that mix.  

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think I have decided I would got for a flyer and hire Keith Smart and pair him with a former veteran college HC.  I also would try to bring in Micheal Lewis as an assistant and try the former IU guys to see if that can turn it around.  We have tried other avenues and it hasn't work so why not try this to see if it will make a difference.

so, i think that sounds like a fairly nice idea as i do not want Smart since he has no college experience, but to pair him with a former veteran coach like beilein or matta and then a young IU alum as another possible future replacement?  that would be great!  that scenario just does not happen.  ever.  

41 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Drew and Matta only two on that least for me.  I’m not a big Nate Oats guy, almost seems gimmicky to me but I’m probably wrong.  Wouldn’t mind Keith Smart but I think Alford would be a better choice than him.  As myself and some others have said, sometimes the fit is just meant to be, maybe that’s one of these guys on the list. 🤷🏼‍♂️

i hate the idea of hiring an IU guys just because he's an IU guy, but i'd actually be a little more hopeful with Alford than Smart.  and i get what you mean about fit.  still think it would be a huge risk that we'd be firing Alford in another 4-5 years and continuing the nightmare.  

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You forgot Bruce Pearl.  has ties and when he goes all in on his team.  He is part of whatever school he coaches.  Yes he has some issues with NCAA violations but he is still coaching and I think IU is a gig where he could get into that gray area and be just fine.  He is my #1 pick after CAM

he is dirty and could help us win quickly.  i'd like the winning quick part!  BTW - i like your new pic.  what a rough pic to have floating around for CAM right now though.  

Just now, IUFLA said:

Just for reference to a few names I've seen in this thread...

Dane Fife's head coaching record?

82-97

Keith Smart's coaching record (NBA)?

93-170

Who's next? Sidney Lowe?

and it sounds likely Matta wouldn't come because of his relationship with Archie

and Drew and Pearl are dirty

and Oats has a 10 mil buyout

and there's no IU guy qualified for the job

i'm kind of agreeing with you here IUFLA

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

I don't think it matters because the people above the coach have other priorities...plus IU is a soft campus getting soft players...Beard is my choice by the way.

We have a president who could care less about basketball, an ex AD who was more concerned about pet projects like the student athlete bill of rights than winning, and a current AD who is the protege of said ex AD.

You have a school and a fan base that demands you be as pure as the driven snow instead of going right up to the line but not over it like everyone else.

Juan Howard in his second year just best Ohio State on the road and was calling top prospects on the phone from the bench to come join the fun. They are going to be running things going forward along with Ohio State 

Good job Indiana. Stay right where you belong as a bottom feeder in basketball.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and it sounds likely Matta wouldn't come because of his relationship with Archie

and Drew and Pearl are dirty

and Oats has a 10 mil buyout

and there's no IU guy qualified for the job

i'm kind of agreeing with you here IUFLA

Yeah, its always something when it comes to Indiana isn't it?

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

thanks buddy, but i think it's a little out of my league.  

I'm just saying, with the shake of the dice some want to go with, why not?

People saying it can't get much worse...sure it can...give this program to some of the names on these lists and you'll be looking at 8-22 overall and 4-16 in conference, battling Nebraska for 13th place...

• Like 1

So, how much does McRobbie's retirement and replacement search play into the whole firing/hiring scenario, if at all?  None?  I've seen folks post that the university and McRobbie have downplayed athletics since the Knight era.  What about trustees?  What are the politics, I guess is what I'm asking?   😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I definitely don’t disagree. I’m just saying I personally don’t view any of these guys as obvious upgrades. I’m also just a guy with a keyboard so it’s not like I have all the answers either. 

Right now, IU basketball is in the state of being very easy to upgrade because we're hitting the bottom.  Any coach comes in and takes the team to the tournament with the 8th seed; that's an improvement. I know it's nowhere near what we truly want, but we're that bad right now. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just saying, with the shake of the dice some want to go with, why not?

People saying it can't get much worse...sure it can...give this program to some of the names on these lists and you'll be looking at 8-22 overall and 4-16 in conference, battling Nebraska for 13th place...

BS no facts.  Please stick to the facts otherwise its BS

• Like 2

I don't know why people are so high on Nate Oats. This is his first year of success in SEC. I certainly don't mean he's not a good coach, but we don't know anything about his longevity at a bigtime program. Coaching and managing a high major D1 program is a marathon, not a sprint. Didn't most of us think when Watford made 'The Watshot', our years and years of agony was finally over? I thought when Crean had the #1 team the next season, we wouldn't look back and would live happily ever after. But it turned out getting there was awfully difficult, but staying there was even way more difficult than that. That's why we need a proven winner with staying power. Hiring another young coach (except Stevens) is a gamble I don't like to see any more. With that said, Scott Drew may be a good option if he's willing to move and doesn't have compliance issue. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe if drew came we could get Tonnegal from Indiana Wesleyan to come with him.  Tonnegal played at Valpo for Homer Drew and he is very close to the Drew family.

Oh man, I am a huge Tonegal fan. Valpo will be hiring him next. He is a bit too religious for me tho. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't know why people are so high on Nate Oats. This is his first year of success in SEC. I certainly don't mean he's not a good coach, but we don't know anything about his longevity at a bigtime program. Coaching and managing a high major D1 program is a marathon, not a sprint. Didn't most of us think when Watford made 'The Watshot', our years and years of agony was finally over? I thought when Crean had the #1 team the next season, we wouldn't look back and would live happily ever after. But it turned out getting there was awfully difficult, but staying there was even way more difficult than that. That's why we need a proven winner with staying power. Hiring another young coach (except Stevens) is a gamble I don't like to see any more. With that said, Scott Drew may be a good option if he's willing to move and doesn't have compliance issue. 

Coached state champions in HS. 

Won MAC conference 2x in 4 years. 

Won 2 NCAA tourney games. 

About to win the SEC, which means 3 conference champs in last 4 seasons. 

Top 10 in O and D. 

Offense is a modern and fun offense. 

Take out his first season at Bama and he is 44-6 in last 3 seasons in conference. 

Oh yah, and he recruits really well.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I don't see how Fife belongs in "tier 1" unless solely based on being an ex-IU player.

I just only this week decided I would be ok with Fife. 

1. MSU and Izzo clearly think he is fit to take over at MSU someday. So why TF shouldn't IU?

2. MSU's best defensive teams were the first 5 seasons he went to MSU.

3. Coached IPFW to their fist ever winning season. 

4. Was never worst than 5th in conference, at a school that had just moved up to D1 and joined its first ever conference!

But the real reason I became ok with him, is that I don't think he would do any worse than our last 5 seasons. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1