Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying I really want Alford but think he would fit here better than UCLA or Iowa.  If you just look at coaches records at other aces then Duke wouldn't have hired coach K from Army

That was over 40 years ago. Times have changed a few times since then.

Alford was fired by UCLA and Iowa. That's all you really need to know.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

That was over 40 years ago. Times have changed a few times since then.

Alford was fired by UCLA and Iowa. That's all you really need to know.

Again sometime it is knowing the culture and guys fit.  We have tried guys with a checkered past on Sampson, a guy with some success at a power conference in Crean and an up and coming coach from a mid major in Archie.  None of them has worked and with this fan base it might be best for the next coach to understand this fan base.  Like I said I would rather go with Keith Smart and get a former veteran HC to help him with the college game.

12 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Scott, this isn't wrong. I've been in the room with Stevens a few times and there are a couple of other aspects IU could sell him on. I'm just not sure IU can pull it off. 

Like what, just from what I have read and listened to is that his wife and even Brad doesn't like the lifestyle of a college coach

The Celtics aren't firing Stevens anytime soon. Wyc and Ainge don't succumb to fan pressure and Stevens is their guy. Fans were screaming for Doc to be fired and it wasn't ever even a consideration in the front office. 

You can never say never, but just knowing how they operate, I would be absolutely shocked if they fired Stevens. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

I have a pretty good feel for the Boston Celtics situation, but I'll say I'm 100% confident that the odds of Stevens coming to Indiana isn't zero. That's not saying "anything can happen". It's saying I think it's on the table more than some give it credit for. That said, I think the IU administration would have to want it, but more importantly, I think they'd have to sell Stevens on the idea. 

How much confidence do you all have that Indiana could pull off the sell?

Yeah.  It's kind of ridiculous that people on here talk in absolutes when it comes to Stevens.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics aren't firing Stevens anytime soon. Wyc and Ainge don't succumb to fan pressure and Stevens is their guy. Fans were screaming for Doc to be fired and it wasn't ever even a consideration in the front office. 

You can never say never, but just knowing how they operate, I would be absolutely shocked if they fired Stevens. 

To me the blame for the Celtics this year is more on Danny Ainge than Stevens.  He still haven't gotten them a reliable big man and had his chance with Turner.  Turner is having a pretty good year and I am glad that trade didn't happen now.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me the blame for the Celtics this year is more on Singer than Stevens.  He still haven't gotten them a reliable big man and had his chance with Turner.  Turner is having a pretty good year and I am glad that trade didn't happen now.

Yeah, Ainge admitted the roster isn't where it needs to be. Its also been a rough season for the Celtics with injuries and Covid. 

I'm reserving judgement until they make a move with the $28M trade exception from the Hayward deal. 

But Ainge and Wyc are not pinning this on Stevens, they love him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

I have a pretty good feel for the Boston Celtics situation, but I'll say I'm 100% confident that the odds of Stevens coming to Indiana isn't zero. That's not saying "anything can happen". It's saying I think it's on the table more than some give it credit for. That said, I think the IU administration would have to want it, but more importantly, I think they'd have to sell Stevens on the idea. 

How much confidence do you all have that Indiana could pull off the sell?

image.thumb.jpeg.f1ee6b54aacca3648a27bb0aca3ba9a6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Ainge admitted the roster isn't where it needs to be. Its also been a rough season for the Celtics with injuries and Covid. 

I'm reserving judgement until they make a move with the $28M trade exception from the Hayward deal. 

But Ainge and Wyc are not pinning this on Stevens, they love him. 

Still don't know why my auto correct took Ainge and made it Singer

Steve Alford at Iowa is the same situation Archie Miller is at in Indiana.  He was successful everyone else except Iowa.  Wasn't a good fit.  Doesn't mean he is a terrible coach or bad person.  Sometimes the situation doesn't lend itself to be successful.  I think that is what we have here with CAM.  Everything has gone wrong from the very start.  And there are time when you just have to stop.  Restart and set everything back to level.  It happens in Sports.  It happens in business.  And it happens in life.  Sometimes things just go wrong over and over.  Sometime you need a new job.  Or a new town,  or a new coach.  Sometimes it works itself out and sometimes you just keep digging down because trying to go up is too hard.

Its life.  Not hard feeling.  No ill intent on anyone (mostly).  Just figure it out, or move on.  Pretty simple.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Steve Alford at Iowa is the same situation Archie Miller is at in Indiana.  He was successful everyone else except Iowa.  Wasn't a good fit.  Doesn't mean he is a terrible coach or bad person.  Sometimes the situation doesn't lend itself to be successful.  I think that is what we have here with CAM.  Everything has gone wrong from the very start.  And there are time when you just have to stop.  Restart and set everything back to level.  It happens in Sports.  It happens in business.  And it happens in life.  Sometimes things just go wrong over and over.  Sometime you need a new job.  Or a new town,  or a new coach.  Sometimes it works itself out and sometimes you just keep digging down because trying to up is too hard.

Its life.  Not hard feeling.  No ill intent on anyone (mostly).  Just figure it out, or move on.  Pretty simple.

Those of us that have gone through a divorce can appreciate your comments...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Soooooo, how many sites are you on?

giphy.gif

This is the only site I post on but when things hit the fan I read some others.  I see a lot of post on Facebook and comment on some of those.  People on Facebook are horrible and they make it very personal in their attacks on players and coaches.  They do that on Rivals as well and that is why I stopped posting there and don't read it very often at all.

• Like 2

One guy that I am really interested in following their career and if they stay on the pro side of things or if they want to get into college coaching is Ronald Noted. Played for Stevens and then worked for him with the Celtics, then went on to coach a G-league team, and is now an assistant with the Hornets. Tough nosed college player with a great personality and connections in both Indiana and the South...

If we had a new coach in the next year or so, I would want them to contact Nored to see if they were interested in being a college coach. (he has a young family so maybe he wouldn't want that, but who knows?)

That's the only way I could see a younger hire working, somebody like Fife, is if they had a great bench. Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, and Nored working with Fife would be a TON of depth and experience under guys like Knight, Izzo, Stevens and then with other coaches like Tim Miles, Mick Cronin, and Jim Crews.

I think they would have no trouble recruiting...

but, If you can get someone more established than Fife who is a sure bet, then do it....but if what I listed above happened, I think I could be pretty excited to see what they make happen...