Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Sure................................

I don't go to another teams message boards so why is that hard to believe.  I couldn't care less what is going on at other teams and what their fans think about IU.  If I want to know what is going on with other teams there are way better avenues to go through than the cess pools of their message boards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mchenry34 said:

One guy that I am really interested in following their career and if they stay on the pro side of things or if they want to get into college coaching is Ronald Noted. Played for Stevens and then worked for him with the Celtics, then went on to coach a G-league team, and is now an assistant with the Hornets. Tough nosed college player with a great personality and connections in both Indiana and the South...

If we had a new coach in the next year or so, I would want them to contact Nored to see if they were interested in being a college coach. (he has a young family so maybe he wouldn't want that, but who knows?)

That's the only way I could see a younger hire working, somebody like Fife, is if they had a great bench. Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, and Nored working with Fife would be a TON of depth and experience under guys like Knight, Izzo, Stevens and then with other coaches like Tim Miles, Mick Cronin, and Jim Crews.

I think they would have no trouble recruiting...

but, If you can get someone more established than Fife who is a sure bet, then do it....but if what I listed above happened, I think I could be pretty excited to see what they make happen...

Ronald was next door neighbors with my cousin growing up. The Noreds are a REALLY wonderful family from my recollection, and nothing I've ever heard about Ronald from his time at Butler onward would indicate he is anything less than a wonderful person. I'd love to have him associated with the program in some capacity. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They have made the EC two years in a row and they have no quality big guys so what is he supposed to do.  It would be like firing a coach after making two final fours in a row which is ridiculous.  Never liked Steven A Smith because he is a blowhard

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They have made the EC two years in a row and they have no quality big guys so what is he supposed to do.  It would be like firing a coach after making two final fours in a row which is ridiculous.  Never liked Steven A Smith because he is a blowhard

Boston is a combination of young talent coming into their own Tatum/Brown(weren’t ready) and bad player personnel. They haven’t had the right point guard for years now. Not sure why they didn’t go harder for a point guard like Chris Paul or do a sign and trade. I just don’t like Walker honestly...and yes they have issues at center but all that is for the nba thread.

If we wanted Stevens we should have made a move after his first final four run...but that was I think the year Crean finally broke through here with Watshot etc...same mistake as with Mike Davis. You see a glimmer so you commit to the wrong guy and buy in instead of going for the home run hire when it was available.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Boston is a combination of young talent coming into their own Tatum/Brown(weren’t ready) and bad player personnel. They haven’t had the right point guard for years now. Not sure why they didn’t go harder for a point guard like Chris Paul or do a sign and trade. I just don’t like Walker honestly...and yes they have issues at center but all that is for the nba thread.

If we wanted Stevens we should have made a move after his first final four run...but that was I think the year Crean finally broke through here with Watshot etc...same mistake as with Mike Davis. You see a glimmer so you commit to the wrong guy and buy in instead of going for the home run hire when it was available.

If we had hired Stevens then, he would have left IU for the Celtics 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, IUFLA said:

The Bruce Pearl that's 11-12 overall and 5-9 (11th) in a weak SEC right now?

That Bruce Pearl?

Jesus, this thread was hilarious before...you guys are making it a comedy classic!

I’m not here to argue for Pearl but his track record is much better than Archie’s. Div II national championship. Numerous coach of the year awards every stop he has been. 6 conference championships, 4 in a power 5 conference that included UK during UKs dominance. 11 seasons with 20 or more wins. 15-10 tournament record. A final four. All at what we would consider non basketball power house universities. He has his issues for sure...and this year is a rebuilding year but he has done what Archie hasn’t...take that step up from mid major and win. Guy can coach and guy can recruit. He isn’t a crazy option. I understand there are better but let’s not act like he would be worse than Archie. He has a better track record.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't go to another teams message boards so why is that hard to believe.  I couldn't care less what is going on at other teams and what their fans think about IU.  If I want to know what is going on with other teams there are way better avenues to go through than the cess pools of their message boards.

Settle down champ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here’s a major problem this base has...that we’ve lowered our standards so much we have to “spin” potential candidates bad records to still make them viable options.

Oh that coach just landed in a bad spot. Oh that coach just had a bad record because of this. Oh that coach has no experience but they’re an IU guy. Oh that guy’s old but he’s not dead yet.

Cripes people... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Here’s a major problem this base has...that we’ve lowered our standards so much we have to “spin” potential candidates bad records to still make them viable options.

Oh that coach just landed in a bad spot. Oh that coach just had a bad record because of this. Oh that coach has no experience but they’re an IU guy. Oh that guy’s old but he’s not dead yet.

Cripes people... 

It is not our lowered expectations but it is the reality of the type of coaches who will be available

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not our lowered expectations but it is the reality of the type of coaches who will be available

I love you man, but 50% of all posts on this site—not just this thread, the whole site—is you saying over and over with absolute 100% certainty that IU cannot land a good coach.  It is just a lock solid fact to you.  No offense, because I enjoy your contributions, but we get your stance on this.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Shapopojoe said:

Hell, if you are going unknown commodity with Smart, why not Alford at this point??? 

If we are being honest, Smart isn’t qualified.  I don’t think he’s even working right now.  He’s hardly in demand.  It’s time for him to be an assistant in college somewhere (maybe here) and try to get a head job elsewhere after a period of success as an assistant.  He can’t keep sitting on his hands forever waiting for a big college program to come knocking on his door and hand him a marquee job.  

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I love you man, but 50% of all posts on this site—not just this thread, the whole site—is you saying over and over with absolute 100% certainty that IU cannot land a good coach.  It is just a lock solid fact to you.  No offense, because I enjoy your contributions, but we get your stance on this.  

So tell me what big name coach that we have a realistic chance of getting.  Also I think the next time a UNC or even Duke has an opening you will not see an elite coach leaving for those jobs as well.  I am talking elite coaches not jus good coaches.  To me the best coach we realistically might have a chance is Chris Beard.  Even Beard last two years hasn't been great but still have proven himself

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If we are being honest, Smart isn’t qualified.  I don’t think he’s even working right now.  He’s hardly in demand.  It’s time for him to be an assistant in college somewhere (maybe here) and try to get a head job elsewhere after a period of success as an assistant.  He can’t keep sitting on his hands forever waiting for a big college program to come knocking on his door and hand him a marquee job.  

He took this year off because of the pandemic and spend sometime with his family

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Smart isn't even remotely qualified.  Scott apparently thinks he'd be the next Juwan Howard.   However, Keith doesn't have a 100th of the street cred that Juwan has. 

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So tell me what big name coach that we have a realistic chance of getting.  Also I think the next time a UNC or even Duke has an opening you will not see an elite coach leaving for those jobs as well.  I am talking elite coaches not jus good coaches.  To me the best coach we realistically might have a chance is Chris Beard.  Even Beard last two years hasn't been great but still have proven himself

I don’t want to keep arguing about it.  There are a range of possibilities, some of which none of us know about.  But I think my main point is there are a number of variables that make a job attractive or not.  My objection is you just ignore those variables.  

IU can attract somebody if the opportunity is enhanced, which can be done many ways.  The two primary ways that come to my mind are, one, demonstrating systemic changes that put IU on a path to success, and two the compensation package for the coach.  

Point one is about the school’s determination to make significant changes to help us get better players and win.  It could be the modeling for player compensation.  It can be lots of stuff that coaches seem to want, such as budgets etc.  It can be assistant salaries.  It can be managing the rules so we get to the edge instead of trying to catch us on every BS minuscule non-event.  

On point two, as an example Billy Donavan makes something like $6 M at Chicago.  It’s downright silly to suggest he’d come here for what Archie makes even if he were inclined to come to college.  He would not even be in the mix on compensation alone.  

Schools like Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas will do whatever it takes to make sure they have a top coach.  They support the program for success.  We haven’t been that school.  So from that standpoint you’re right, we wouldn’t land a great coach.  But that’s based on a static view that our administration will never have a come to Jesus moment and change its ways.  

I am sorry but it’s not the fan base that’s hurting us.  Coaches that we’d want would welcome the fan base.  It’s mostly about the variables I mentioned above.  We have fallen from grace but coaches know history and potential and we still have that.  

We may get the next flash in the pan, but it’s not because we have no ability to hire a top coach.  We can change the parameters of the job so somebody thinks we are built to win and their compensation is really enticing.  Otherwise, sure, they’d be afraid of Michigan, Ohio State, etc 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Smart isn't even remotely qualified.  Scott apparently thinks he'd be the next Juwan Howard.   However, Keith doesn't have a 100th of the street cred that Juwan has. 

Not saying he would be on the top of my list but I don't want to go with another mid major coach again.  We have tried a pretty good coach with baggage and didn't work.  We got a good but not great power 6 coach and didn't work.  Now a mid major coach hasn't work so why not think a little out of the box.  I would look at these guys first to see if interest.

Matta

Beilein

Beard.

Oates maybe

Alford maybe

• Like 1

Realistic A+ hire to me is Beard. He has the charisma that you would need in addition to being a great coach, plus there’s the Knight connection that would appease those types of fans. IU’s administration would need to start loosening the reigns a bit with allowing transfers but I think Beard could be very successful here. Not sure if he wants to leave the state of Texas though, and not sure IU would pay an elite salary. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Realistic A+ hire to me is Beard. He has the charisma that you would need in addition to being a great coach, plus there’s the Knight connection that would appease those types of fans. IU’s administration would need to start loosening the reigns a bit with allowing transfers but I think Beard could be very successful here. Not sure if he wants to leave the state of Texas though, and not sure IU would pay an elite salary. 

Agree all around.  If he’s making over $5 M (and it is amazing that Tech of all places did that) that means we’d have to come in well north of $6 M.  

Interestingly, Pat Knight could be an intermediary.  Beard coached with him and PK is well connected to Dolson.  Pat, unlike his dad, was born and raised in Bloomington.   He could pitch that deal to both sides and bring them together.   Pat is smart enough to know how Beard’s style will fly at Indiana.  While not an ex IU player, he’s from the coaching tree.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5