Potential replacement coaches

6 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

One guy that I am really interested in following their career and if they stay on the pro side of things or if they want to get into college coaching is Ronald Noted. Played for Stevens and then worked for him with the Celtics, then went on to coach a G-league team, and is now an assistant with the Hornets. Tough nosed college player with a great personality and connections in both Indiana and the South...

If we had a new coach in the next year or so, I would want them to contact Nored to see if they were interested in being a college coach. (he has a young family so maybe he wouldn't want that, but who knows?)

That's the only way I could see a younger hire working, somebody like Fife, is if they had a great bench. Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, and Nored working with Fife would be a TON of depth and experience under guys like Knight, Izzo, Stevens and then with other coaches like Tim Miles, Mick Cronin, and Jim Crews.

I think they would have no trouble recruiting...

but, If you can get someone more established than Fife who is a sure bet, then do it....but if what I listed above happened, I think I could be pretty excited to see what they make happen...

i’d only hire Fife if Matta came as his assistant 

Edited by IUfaninIllinois
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i love ideas like this, but they ever happen.  they don't even know each other right?  you don't just get a guy like Matta to be the assistant coach for a young guy he doesn't know.

I’m not sure if they do but money talks so if I tell Fife hey I’m bringing in Matta to be your lead assistant and then I tell Matta I’ll pay you well but you don’t have to do all the  head coach stuff to preserve your health then it could work... serious question did Juwan Howard know Martelli before hand?

9 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m not sure if they do but money talks so if I tell Fife hey I’m bringing in Matta to be your lead assistant and then I tell Matta I’ll pay you well but you don’t have to do all the  head coach stuff to preserve your health then it could work... serious question did Juwan Howard know Martelli before hand?

i don't know about Howard, but honestly i would have a problem with that if i were Fife.  if you're not good enough for the job without someone being your mentor, you probably don't want it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

Realistic A+ hire to me is Beard. He has the charisma that you would need in addition to being a great coach, plus there’s the Knight connection that would appease those types of fans. IU’s administration would need to start loosening the reigns a bit with allowing transfers but I think Beard could be very successful here. Not sure if he wants to leave the state of Texas though, and not sure IU would pay an elite salary. 

Beard went to school in Texas, makes more money than Miller, has better facilities at Tech than IU, doesn’t have to deal with a fan base like IU, recruits at a high level, and has proven he can win there.

Why in the hell would he come to IU??

Because of some banners? lol

The IU job isn’t nearly what some of you think anymore.

There is a better chance of Knight coming back then Beard taking the job.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Beard went to school in Texas, makes more money than Miller, has better facilities at Tech than IU, doesn’t have to deal with a fan base like IU, recruits at a high level, and has proven he can win there.

Watch out you can't say anything bad ab out the fan base

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Part of this fan base is getting exactly what it deserves.....and it’s screwing the rest of us.

I kept warning people when Crean seat got really hot that just making a change of coaches won't help.  I knew that we weren't going to get an elite established coach to leave their job to come here. More than likely it will be the same if we fire Archie.

13 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Sometimes you only get one shot at something special. Catch lightening in a bottle. It’s a hard way to go at Texas Tech. Your middle of the pack school in a power conference. You have to scratch and claw for recruits and take cast offs and transfers to piece together your roster. Even in your best years it’s still Lubbock Texas. Texas Tech is always the small name on the marquee when they play on national tv. It’s always Texas or KU or Oklahoma even Baylor the main attraction. At IU...you are center stage for better for worse. If you are good at your job you can recruit coast to coast and you can win Big Ten titles and have a shot At a NC year in and out...if your the right coach. Your kidding me if you think even now IU isn’t a place where a coach doesn’t think that is a program that will put me in the national spot light and I legitimately can win a NC. If a coach doesn’t think that then he can try it at another program...and probably fail. There is a lot more parity in college basketball but there are still only a handful of schools that have won multiple national championships. We are that level whether you believe it or not.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Sometimes you only get one shot at something special. Catch lightening in a bottle. It’s a hard way to go at Texas Tech. Your middle of the pack school in a power conference. You have to scratch and claw for recruits and take cast offs and transfers to piece together your roster. Even in your best years it’s still Lubbock Texas. Texas Tech is always the small name on the marquee when they play on national tv. It’s always Texas or KU or Oklahoma even Baylor the main attraction. At IU...you are center stage for better for worse. If you are good at your job you can recruit coast to coast and you can win Big Ten titles and have a shot At a NC year in and out...if your the right coach. Your kidding me if you think even now IU isn’t a place where a fish doesn’t think that is a program that will put me in the national spot light and I legitimately can win a NC. If a coach doesn’t think that then he can try it at another program...and probably fail. There is a lot more parity in college basketball but there are still only a handful of schools that have won multiple national championships. We are that level whether you believe it or not.

He had a shot of something special at TT and got to the championship game.  We are getting more teams in the last 20 years winning multiple champion that wasn't national power 30 years ago in Florida, Villanova, UCONN.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I kept warning people when Crean seat got really hot that just making a change of coaches won't help.  I knew that we weren't going to get an elite established coach to leave their job to come here. More than likely it will be the same if we fire Archie.

We know Scott.  You know everything. You tell us everyday. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He had a shot of something special at TT and got to the championship game.  We are getting more teams in the last 20 years winning multiple champion that wasn't national power 30 years ago in Florida, Villanova, UCONN.

Uh Villanova and UConn absolutely were in the picture 20-30 years ago. They had their ups and downs but those have been major players in college basketball off an on over that time period. Point being there aren’t that many programs with NC pedigree.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sometimes you only get one shot at something special. Catch lightening in a bottle. It’s a hard way to go at Texas Tech. Your middle of the pack school in a power conference. You have to scratch and claw for recruits and take cast offs and transfers to piece together your roster. Even in your best years it’s still Lubbock Texas. Texas Tech is always the small name on the marquee when they play on national tv. It’s always Texas or KU or Oklahoma even Baylor the main attraction. At IU...you are center stage for better for worse. If you are good at your job you can recruit coast to coast and you can win Big Ten titles and have a shot At a NC year in and out...if your the right coach. Your kidding me if you think even now IU isn’t a place where a coach doesn’t think that is a program that will put me in the national spot light and I legitimately can win a NC. If a coach doesn’t think that then he can try it at another program...and probably fail. There is a lot more parity in college basketball but there are still only a handful of schools that have won multiple national championships. We are that level whether you believe it or not.

IU hasn't been the best team in the STATE for almost a decade. 

IU hasn't had a coach recruit "coast to coast" in over 20 years.

IU has 3 conference titles in the last 20 years, THREE. They are middle of the pack in the B10 and have been for 20 years.

IU has to recruit against UK, Louisville, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan....and now Purdue. And have been losing that battle for over 20 years.

Your kidding me if you think even now IU isn’t a place where a coach doesn’t think that is a program that will put me in the national spot light and I legitimately can win a NC.

I didn't say that. But you are kidding me if you think Bennet doesn't think he can win a NC at Virginia, Beard at Texas Tech, Few at Gonzaga, Altman at Oregon, Painter at Purdue, Drew at Baylor, and on and on.

And THATS what some of you don't get. These coaches don't need IU, IU needs them.

What has this program done with the last 4 coaches over the last 20 years to prove that IU is better than any of the programs I listed? 

Fire Miller, great. 

And just like the last hire, if you think some high profile coach is banging down the door, think again. IU will get another mid major or maybe, just maybe, someone like Drew who is established but still has major risks.

I havent even talked about this administration that has zero desire to spend any real money on the program.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Uh Villanova and UConn absolutely were in the picture 20-30 years ago. They had their ups and downs but those have been major players in college basketball off an on over that time period. Point being there aren’t that many programs with NC pedigree.

And Minnesota has 7 national football championships.....what's your point?

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

UCONN did not come into the picture really until Calhoun got there and that was in the late 80's.  Both of them were good teams for awhile but did not win at the national level.  I know Villanova won in 85 but they were still not considered a blue blood and UCONN wasn't either.  Also there has been a lot of teams who gotten to the final four who doesn't have that pedigree so it shows you can go from a lot of places.

Edited by IU Scott

Just now, IU Scott said:

UCOON did not come into the picture really until Calhoun got there and that was in the late 80's.  Both of them were good teams for awhile but did not win at the national level.  I know Villanova won in 85 but they were still not considered a blue blood and UCONN wasn't either.  Also there has been a lot of teams who gotten to the final four who doesn't have that pedigree so it shows you can go from a lot of places.

Getting to the final four is one thing...you wanna get back consistently or win it all...you wanna coach at a place like Indiana. That’s my opinion. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Getting to the final four is one thing...you wanna get back consistently or win it all...you wanna coach at a place like Indiana. That’s my opinion. 

Well we have won 5 championships and made what 8 final fours in 81 tournaments. So that is winning every 16 years and making one every 10 years so is that really getting their consistently.. 

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watch out you can't say anything bad ab out the fan base

Yes, the fan base that came out in droves when Crean was throwing any bodies he could find on the court in his first two years is the problem. 

The fan base that is one of the most knowledgeable in the country is the problem. 

The fan base that sees 4 other conference teams in the top 10 and wonders why we are struggling to make the tournament in year 4 with CAM is the problem. 

You can blame the fans all you want. You can say all the bad things about the fan base you want. But, you’re rightfully going to get called out for it because it’s ridiculous. If a coach isn’t coming here with the goal of winning a NC, then he’s simply not the right person for the job, and half of the programs in this conference would say the same thing. 

But, yah, the problem is the fans. Give me a friggin break. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The only chance for IU to get a legit, big splash coach is money. Those coaches aren't coming here "because it's Indiana."

The only way to get someone like Beard to entertain IU is to raise his salary to where he can't say no. He's not coming because he once was a GA or whatever for Knight. He'll might come for $8M-$9M, but he's not coming to simply restore IU or because he loves Knight. 

That's why I keep saying I'm fine if we move on from Archie, to this point it's certainly warranted, but IU needs to be ready to up the ante for an experienced, established coach, or we'll be right back in the same cycle. 

• Like 8