Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Yes, the fan base that came out in droves when Crean was throwing any bodies he could find on the court in his first two years is the problem. 

The fan base that is one of the most knowledgeable in the country is the problem. 

The fan base that sees 4 other conference teams in the top 10 and wonders why we are struggling to make the tournament in year 4 with CAM is the problem. 

You can blame the fans all you want. You can say all the bad things about the fan base you want. But, you’re rightfully going to get called out for it because it’s ridiculous. If a coach isn’t coming here with the goal of winning a NC, then he’s simply not the right person for the job, and half of the programs in this conference would say the same thing. 

But, yah, the problem is the fans. Give me a friggin break. 

Well we use to be the most knowledgeable fans but that is up to debate today.  Again we are not the only problem and what I am saying is our fans are delusional to think we will get an established elite coach.  It is that the fan base is living in fantasy land if you think the IU job is still viewed as an elite job.  They are not coming because they are afraid of the fan base but they know they can win where they are at and not have to put up with our fans.

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

The fan base that is one of the most knowledgeable in the country is the problem. 

Sure, its like having a back seat driver yell at you while try to get them where they want.

If you can coach somewhere else, make the same money, and win just as much, WTF would you want to deal with this fanbase?

Edited by JugRox

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Sure, its like having a back seat driver yell at you while try to get them where they want.

If you can coach somewhere else, make the same money, and win just as much, WTF would you want to deal with this fanbase?

The flip side is if you can deliver on what you're hired to do, there is no more supported atmosphere than you're top 10 Indiana team playing in Assembly Hall. 

There's no better fan support if you just do your job well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The flip side is if you can deliver on what you're hired to do, there is no more supported atmosphere than you're top 10 Indiana team playing in Assembly Hall. 

Very true but it is fans turning on coaches way to early like in year 2 that hurts as much as anything.  Everybody said they were patient with Crean but I remember a lot of people wanting him gone after year 3.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Very true but it is fans turning on coaches way to early like in year 2 that hurts as much as anything.  Everybody said they were patient with Crean but I remember a lot of people wanting him gone after year 3.

Well it takes money and a coach that believes in himself, not one afraid of the fish bowl. 

• Like 4

Just now, BGleas said:

Well it takes money and a coach that believes in himself, not one afraid of the fish bowl. 

I would consider Chris Holltmann a good coach and it appears that he wasn't interested in the job.  I am saying if everything is the same what does IU have that coaches can't get at their current job.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. From donors, to alum, to students, to fans, to janitors. We’ve been humbled. We would appreciate a coach that is good at their job. We are about as loyal as it gets. Look how we treated Knight on his way out...even when he hadn’t won anything in almost a decade. I may be delusional...but the right coach here would have a special place in fans hearts. This isn’t UK....where they feel entitled...this isn’t UCLA where no one shows up anymore unless it’s cool. This team means a lot to the state and it’s fans...and they would be damn proud of a good coach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only chance for IU to get a legit, big splash coach is money. Those coaches aren't coming here "because it's Indiana."

The only way to get someone like Beard to entertain IU is to raise his salary to where he can't say no. He's not coming because he once was a GA or whatever for Knight. He'll might come for $8M-$9M, but he's not coming to simply restore IU or because he loves Knight. 

That's why I keep saying I'm fine if we move on from Archie, to this point it's certainly warranted, but IU needs to be ready to up the ante for an experienced, established coach, or we'll be right back in the same cycle. 

Of course. There are other things you can do as well. Only make him do two alumni engagements a year, have a house built for him, etc.

I'm pretty concerned with what Rabby has stated though. The leadership at Indiana has felt post Knight that Indiana should focus on academics and make athletics more of a participatory activities. And that people shouldn't think basketball when they think of Indiana University. 

Yikes. I wouldn't expect a push for a big hire by throwing money around or other creative ways. They just don't care enough too 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would consider Chris Holltmann a good coach and it appears that he wasn't interested in the job.  I am saying if everything is the same what does IU have that coaches can't get at their current job.

That's why I said money too, a school like IU has to compensate for the fish bowl if they want a legitimate, established power 5 coach. 

Also, Holtman is just one person. Sounds like he'd be afraid of UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, etc., as well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Exactly. From donors, to alum, to students, to fans, to janitors. We’ve been humbled. We would appreciate a coach that is good at their job. We are about as loyal as it gets. Look how we treated Knight on his way out...even when he hadn’t won anything in almost a decade. I may be delusional...but the right coach here would have a special place in fans hearts. This isn’t UK....where they feel entitled...this isn’t UCLA where no one shows up anymore unless it’s cool. This team means a lot to the state and it’s fans...and they would be damn proud of a good coach.

All you have said is very true but does the top coaches in the country view this job that way.

• Like 1

Then why don’t we just shut down the program...if all we want is mediocrity and we can’t do this and we can’t do that then it’s pointless. I hope to God our admin don’t think like you. I hope they dream big and have a plan to succeed big....and I guarantee that If the next coach doesn’t have the same idea then he is the wrong guy. Thank God there are people out there that see potential and when someone says it can’t be done they say where do I sign up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

That's why I said money too, a school like IU has to compensate for the fish bowl if they want a legitimate, established power 5 coach. 

Also, Holtman is just one person. Sounds like he'd be afraid of UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, etc., as well. 

I think about any power 5 team can pay the same kind of money and at one time the Utah coach was 9th in the country in salary

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think about any power 5 team can pay the same kind of money and at one time the Utah coach was 9th in the country in salary

I'm not talking $3M, I'm talking $6M+. Sure, IU probably isn't doing that, but if they want to be a blueblood again and get a legitimate, established coach that is what it will take. 

The majority of Power 5 schools aren't spending that on a basketball coach. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Then why don’t we just shut down the program...if all we want is mediocrity and we can’t do this and we can’t do that then it’s pointless. I hope to God our admin don’t think like you. I hope they dream big and have a plan to succeed big....and I guarantee that If the next coach doesn’t have the same idea then he is the wrong guy. Thank God there are people out there that see potential and when someone says it can’t be done they say where do I sign up.

It is not how I think that matters it is what other coaches feel about the program.  If they can get the same money where they are at and they have great facilities as well why leave to go anywhere.  What I am saying is top coaches are less likely to leave their current position than they use to.  Coaches seems more worried about fit and culture and happiness over just how rich they can get.  If this wasn't the case you would see guys like Few at UCLA right now.

If I were in charge of IU athletics I would make Brad Stevens the highest paid college coach.  Saying that doesn't mean he will come here just like a lot of the other elite coaches.

All you have said is very true but does the top coaches in the country view this job that way.

Only takes 1...that’s the beauty of it...and if you don’t take the shot...you’ll never score. Ask my wife! Never in a million years would I thought I’d marry a home coming queen...but I’m just either dumb enough or I guess confident enough to ask. Oh and when i got my shot...I made sure everything was on point and she knew I was serious! I didn’t full around playing games like some dudes. Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I'm not talking $3M, I'm talking $6M+. Sure, IU probably isn't doing that, but if they want to be a blueblood again and get a legitimate, established coach that is what it will take. 

The majority of Power 5 schools aren't spending that on a basketball coach. 

The last article I saw was that only two coaches make more than 6+ million( coach K and Cal)

21 minutes ago, JugRox said:

So, in addition to expectations of consistent, quality basketball apparently being way too high, now we’re going to question the level of basketball knowledge of this fan base? Wow. 

Just now, AxnJxn said:

So, in addition to expectations of consistent, quality basketball apparently being way too high, now we’re going to question the level of basketball knowledge of this fan base? Wow. 

Well read some of the non sense on social media and tell me where the knowledgeable fans are.  This fan base has become like every other fan base and those fans we use to make fun of.  We were way better than UK but now we are just like them when it comes to how we treat players and coaches.

32 minutes ago, JugRox said:

“It’s like having a terrified passenger screaming at you while you drive the car into a ditch” would be a better analogy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

LOL....

After the Rutgers game, go on Facebook and Twitter and just dip your toe into what this fanbase is like.

Again, a coach that does consistent, quality basketball doesn't have to deal with s**t from the IU fanbase. They can stay at Texas Tech, make more money, and have more success. 

Edited by JugRox

Well read some of the non sense on social media and tell me where the knowledgeable fans are.  This fan base has become like every other fan base and those fans we use to make fun of.  We were way better than UK but now we are just like them when it comes to how we treat players and coaches.

You’re taking a handful of examples from toxic places like Facebook and extrapolating them to an entire fan base. The vast majority of IU fans just want to see a quality, consistent product on the court, yet you see that as the problem. 

Just now, JugRox said:

LOL....

After the Rutgers game, go on Facebook and Twitter and just dip your toe into what this fanbase is like.

Its funny how you took offense to being the back seat driver. 

Again, a coach that does consistent, quality basketball doesn't have to deal with s**t from the IU fanbase. They can stay at Texas Tech, make more money, and have more success. 

See above. I think it’s pretty funny that the two of you are basing your conclusions on posts from Facebook and Twitter, two of the most toxic places in the Internet. Some brilliant objective research there. 

• Like 3