Potential replacement coaches

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

College coaches aren’t afraid of fans...they only worry about spineless admin who won’t support them. Every fan base in the country has crazy classless fans. Will you support me and give me the tools and resources to do my job. Will you not put obstacles in my way. Will you pay me. These are what coaches care about. If they are a great coach they think their culture, their way will translate to success anywhere. This isn’t a sport nor is this school one that would require a huge time to turn around. It only takes a couple special kids and about 5-6 others that but into you and what you do. You can find them and get them to Indiana...it’s been done many times over. We just need the right guy steering the ship. I hoped it was Archie but I don’t think another 4 years he will be any closer. Some may not have faith...but I know there is a coach out there that sees the same things many of us sees...a sleeping giant...just waiting to be woken up.

THIS!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Back to thread title: what about Greg McDermott?  P5 conference, still some tread on the tires, and makes a salary south of 1.5 mil. 

My only problem with McDermott is age. I think IU could get him, but he feels like a stop gap. At the same time, beggars cant be choosers. His offense would be a massive change... lol

Same thing Porter Moser. He has proven he can win, but it just doesn't feel like the permanent solution.

11 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Have you ever driven a car?  If you know how to drive it doesn't matter what the F the people in the back seat are saying.  That person in the back seat has no bearing on your ability to get the car out of the ditch.  They are just noise.

Now if you don't know how to drive and they have been a passenger with Mario Andretti before and they say, "Dude...I don't think what you are doing is working" that may be annoying for you.  But you know how to shut them up?  Get the car out of the ditch. 

I get it. But the back seat people put a ton of pressure on the driver.

Again, Holtman had no interest in the IU job because of the "spotlight". He just didn't want to deal with everything that comes with the IU coach. 

It limits the coaches willing to take the job. 

7 minutes ago, JugRox said:

My only problem with McDermott is age. I think IU could get him, but he feels like a stop gap. At the same time, beggars cant be choosers. His offense would be a massive change... lol

Same thing Porter Moser. He has proven he can win, but it just doesn't feel like the permanent solution.

I think Porter Moser could be a permanent solution, he is only 52. My question is are these last few years a fluke, was he just in bad situations that took a while to turn around and he's always been a really good coach, or did he do some growing and adjusting that he can carry forward? 

My personal though is it is some combination of the second and third possibility, but it's a risk to take a guy like him. 

• Like 1

Moser may very well have interest in BC.  That could be a good match.  He’s only 52 and he’s a very good coach, having proven it over a period of time.  

McDermott doesn’t interest me in the slightest.  I’d be shocked if he’s in the mix.  Just my opinion, I have no idea what’s on Dolson’s mind.  But I’d be surprised.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

9 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I get it. But the back seat people put a ton of pressure on the driver.

Again, Holtman had no interest in the IU job because of the "spotlight". He just didn't want to deal with everything that comes with the IU coach. 

It limits the coaches willing to take the job. 

He's a Lexington native.  I'd bet you the farm if Cal left for the NBA and UK offered he'd out of Columbus in a New York minute.  I call BS on the spotlight nonsense. 

• Like 1

I guess this guy on Facebook know what he is talking about LOL!

Clyde Huckleberry

Sources close to Brad Stevens have said he wants out of Boston.
He wants to come home to Indiana.
Scott Dolson said that Stevens would be the one to "unify a fractured fanbase". Not to mention, a great coach who has won at the highest level in college.
Archie will be let go at the end of this season.
It

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scott Dolson said that Stevens would be the one to "unify a fractured fanbase". Not to mention, a great coach who has won at the highest level in college.
It

Comment

Comments

Unreal

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Clyde Huckleberry

It

Well if Clyde says so, it must be true. Besides I agree with his message, so it must be right. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Porter Moser could be a permanent solution, he is only 52. My question is are these last few years a fluke, was he just in bad situations that took a while to turn around and he's always been a really good coach, or did he do some growing and adjusting that he can carry forward? 

My personal though is it is some combination of the second and third possibility, but it's a risk to take a guy like him. 

I think he has an under .500 record in the MVC and has only made the tourney once in his career with this year being the second. I think it'd just be better to keep Archie at this point if that's the best we can do. Plus some of the same issues as Archie.  All defense and an average extremely slow offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's a Lexington native.  I'd bet you the farm if Cal left for the NBA and UK offered he'd out of Columbus in a New York minute.  I call BS on the spotlight nonsense. 

So, he is putting his childhood fandom in front of his career.....i call BS....

What was stopping him from going from Butler to Indiana and then to UK? 

FYI, he went to college and was a assistant at Taylor (in Indiana) and was at Butler after that.

He has way more connections to Indiana than he does "being from Lexington"....

Edited by JugRox

Scott Drew

- Lived in Indiana 13+ years

-Only makes 400k more than Archie

-Took Baylor from major sanctions and no players to a top national program

-10-6 in NCAA tourney, 2 seasons were ended by eventual national champ

- 25+ wins in 5 of last 12 years (IU has 2)

-4 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s in last 11 years (IU has 2 and 0) oh btw, Baylor was one of the favorites to win it all last year

- Baylor has had a higher rank than IU in 9 out of last 14 years

-Currently 18-0

- 44-4 in last 2 seasons

Edited by IndySportsPartizan
  • Like 5

Just now, IndySportsPartizan said:

Scott Drew

-4 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s in last 11 years (IU has 2 and 0) oh btw, Baylor was one of the favorites to win it all last year

He's the obvious hire assuming a guy like Stevens isn't interested.   But never underestimate the ability of the Indiana Administration to blow it.

• Like 2

Just now, IndySportsPartizan said:

Scott Drew

Would have to look into his background and see why he was voted one of the dirtiest coach in college basketball.  If everything checked out he would be a great hire.

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Scott Drew is scum. Nothing will change my opinion.

So are many of the top coaches.  We have to fight fire with fire or we can continue to be awful for another 20 years.  

I'd make a huge push for Stevens and while it's not impossible he probably says no.  We're going to have to take a coach with question marks if we want to win unless we get lucky.

• Like 6