Potential replacement coaches

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really think Matta would be a great hire, if healthy. He's got a lot of the attributes and resume of guys like Pitino (minus the titles, but also minus the scandal) and Belien, yet he's still just 53. He could be here 15 years. 

He's my choice too. Let him put together a homerun staff that can carry recruiting responsibilities if his back isn't going to hold up to travel.

My only concern is if he would take the job given what others have said about how close he is with Archie.

• Like 1

Just now, PhinithreeMagic said:

He's my choice too. Let him put together a homerun staff that can carry recruiting responsibilities if his back isn't going to hold up to travel.

My only concern is if he would take the job given what others have said about how close he is with Archie.

Make him take it $$$$$$$$$

• Like 3

I don’t see many options for coach besides swing for some big name IF the school is willing to pony up OR just hire the best resume you can abs cross your fingers. But status quo is never going to all the sudden turn around and 7 years from now we have two conference titles and are in the Final Four with a shot at a National Title. That’s not the path we are on. 

So even if the next young up and coming coach doesn’t work, better to get started on that hire either way. I love Archie but he isn’t the answer and never will be regardless of the time we give him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Heck.  If he's truly Archie's friend, he should take it for the sole reason that Archie does not have to suffer any longer.  

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Right there with you Paulie. On the old board I had over 16,000 career posts and starting over here and with the program now being what it is I post in some waves but nothing like I used to. Whenever I see your name and icon it takes me back to the good old message board days...and when I was younger and didn’t have such a bad back. ;) lol

Right there with you on the bad back.  I'm only 35, but got degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, sciatica and the works.

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really think Matta would be a great hire, if healthy. He's got a lot of the attributes and resume of guys like Pitino (minus the titles, but also minus the scandal) and Belien, yet he's still just 53. He could be here 15 years. 

I had no idea Matta was only 53, had him pegged for early 60’s for some reason (maybe the health issue stuff). Now I’m intrigued 

Just now, KDB said:

Eric Musselman, if the obvious top candidates don't happen? Arkansas is 17-5 (9-4) in his second year, ranked top 20, and they're up 13 on #6 Alabama with 5 minutes to play as I'm typing this

I’m pretty sure a lot of his success at Nevada came through the transfer market, so maybe he could get things off to a decent start sooner rather than later since he knows how to work that route. 

1 minute ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I had no idea Matta was only 53, had him pegged for early 60’s for some reason (maybe the health issue stuff). Now I’m intrigued 

Right! If he's regained his health, he could be here for a decent amount of time. That's assuming he even wants back into the very thing that caused him health problems in the first place. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Offer Stevens $9.3MM publicly. Tell him it's what Nick Saban makes at Alabama. Force him to admit he doesn't want to chase legendary status. If he says no, he's not the coach we think he is.

Why would you think that if he turned us down.  Not everyone looks at this job like we fans do

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I heard some ridiculously high percentage of college endowments will never get spent because the strings attached are so stupid or obsolete.  

College endowments are a big scam.  You can’t use the funds for hardly anything and most of that money sits in various hedge funds just  gaining value but not actually doing anything productive for the university besides adding zeros to a ledger.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would you think that if he turned us down.  Not everyone looks at this job like we fans do

Scott, i would think this because I do this stuff for a living and like a previous poster wrote, coaches don't think like you. here is why I would think that: When you get to that level, it's 99.9999% ego driven. you want to fire a guy like michael jordan or kobe bryant up, challenge his manhood. challenge his ego. they simply won't back down. and it can be over the smallest of things. if you don't understand this then I don't know what to tell you. if you don't think brad stevens works this way then, well, you just are wrong. bob knight was an egomaniacal narcissist. it's what made him a 3-time national champion and an olympic gold medal winner. stevens comes off corporate. great. he's a good guy. I've spent a decent amount of time with stevens. he's an incredible guy, but to think he's not run by ego is crazy. coaches MUST have that type of swagger to coach the Boston Celtics. It's the Celtics for crying out loud. 

so you force his hand. you ask him to chase legendary status. you sell him on being the true heir to RMK. You challenge him to chase immortality. if he turns it down then fine. he's not the guy IU wants. maybe he thinks he can chase that in Boston and has a better shot at it. I don't agree. 

This is why Stevens is in play more than people realize. It's naïve to think Alabama didn't sell Saban on the above and at the end of the day Saban thought he could chase harder at Alabama than he could with the Dolphins. And as far as "looking at this job the way we fans do", man it's Indiana. It's a sleeping giant. Everyone knows that.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

College endowments are a big scam.  You can’t use the funds for hardly anything and most of that money sits in various hedge funds just  gaining value but not actually doing anything productive for the university besides adding zeros to a ledger.

That's because it's like the life savings for the university. You know how you youve saved money all of your life(hopefully)to make sure you don't lose your home and are out on the streets in emergencies? 

That's what the endowment is. It ensures the survival of the university.