Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, JugRox said:

How? You think its hard to get rid of Miller, good luck having an IU AD fire Steve Alford as the IU basketball coach.

Alford would be here forever, win or lose. It would be the final nail. 

Alford has shown pretty clearly what he is capable of.

St. Johns got rid of Chris Mullins a former player

Houston got Rid of Clyde Drexler

28 minutes ago, JugRox said:

It can get much, much, much worse. Alford has done nothing at the P5 level. Was fired both times, Iowa and UCLA. If a coach can't win in the PAC at UCLA, how is he going to win the the B10?

You think we are getting taken advantage of now, just wait if Alford gets a chance.

Part of me wants Alford to get his chance, fail miserably, so that part of the fanbase can move on from "NEED A IU GUY!!!!!".....

Because magic pixie basketball dust is going to happen because Alford was a former player. The guy is a great mid major coach, leave him be.

Sometimes a guy just fits somewhere.  And saying he did not win at UCLA is some revisionist BS.  He had one bad year.  His personality was not a fit there so they ran him out midseason his last year. 

So in the five years he was able to complete he went to the Sweet 16 3 times, lost in NCAA first round once, and had a bad year where they went 15-17.  His overall win percentage at UCLA was .663.  You know what Painters is as Purdue? .659. You know what Beilein was at Michigan?  .650.  Beard is .679 at Texas Tech.  He had 2 good years and a nice run.  So did Tom Crean and Archie Miller.  Howland was .685 at UCLA.  Lavin was .650 at UCLA.  Cronin has been .668 so far at UCLA.

So just stop with this "couldn't win at UCLA" narrative.  He was right there with everybody else doing that job at UCLA and he has had a better record/been on par at that stop then other coaches people have been wishing for here lately.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sometimes a guy just fits somewhere.  And saying he did not win at UCLA is some revisionist BS.  He had one bad year.  His personality was not a fit there so they ran him out midseason his last year. 

So in the five years he was able to complete he went to the Sweet 16 3 times, lost in NCAA first round once, and had a bad year where they went 15-17.  His overall win percentage at UCLA was .663.  You know what Painters is as Purdue? .659. You know what Beilein was at Michigan?  .650.  Beard is .679 at Texas Tech.  He had 2 good years and a nice run.  So did Tom Crean and Archie Miller.  Howland was .685 at UCLA.  Lavin was .650 at UCLA.  Cronin has been .668 so far at UCLA.

So just stop with this "couldn't win at UCLA" narrative.  He was right there with everybody else doing that job at UCLA and he has had a better record/been on par at that stop then other coaches people have been wishing for here lately.

Oh my. Someone using facts. People aren't going to like that lol 

18 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Cronin at UCLA:

2019–20    UCLA    19–12               12–6    2nd    
2020–21    UCLA    16–5                 12–3        
                                35–17 (.673)    24–9 (.727)    

You think they made the right move?

I think they made a lateral move. If Mick makes a final four it was an upgrade. 

My pastor made a "light bulb" sports analogy to the congregation last Sunday. "Everyone wants a King!" We all want a king to successfully guide to the promise land, free from turmoil and despair. He was speaking to the vast majority of IU fans in our church.

He mentioned the transition from Crean to Miller and never spoke a negative word about either coach. Basically, we were reading between the lines. "Everyone wants a King" but we need a "Shepherd"! Kings often speak at you and over you without personal and emotional attachment. Shepherds are caring and lead with invested intent, which produce genuine trust.

IMHO, Coach Miller was my "King" when he was hired. In the beginning, he also lead me to believe that he would eventually be the "Shepherd" of this team as well. I don't see it that way any more. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am glad that you have never made a mistake that was in the public eye. I am not saying Alford should be hired but most people have done things that they regret highly and I fir one believe if forgiveness and multiple chances at redemption.  I am not perfect and without forgiveness not sure where I would be

Amen

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No comment on what Archie did at Dayton?  (And if you’re unfamiliar with what I’m referring to, take a look at his rosters, then google Matt Kavanaugh and Dyshawn Pierre.)

Googled both...There were never any charges (not enough evidence...he said she said) and both players were suspended for a year...What should Archie have done?

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Oh my. Someone using facts. People aren't going to like that lol 

I mean if people want to say they don't like how he handled Pierce, I agree.  I can understand that.  If people want to say he is an arrogant guy...I think that is probably true.  If they want to say his record at Iowa in his first P5 gig was suspect...absolutely.  But the idea he did terrible at UCLA just is not true.  The record he had there would be considered a solid record for just about any stop.

"Well it isn't good enough for Indiana."  Hahahaha.  Indiana 30 years ago, sure, I can see that.  Indiana right now?  We would absolutely be beside ourselves in glee to be winning that many games at the moment.

I am not saying Alford is a slam dunk by any means, but that route is one route we have not tried.  If it tries and fails is it any worse than the last 4 years?  I doubt it.  And if I am Dolson and I talk to Alford, I say "Steve, I like your offensive production...what are you going to do to make sure we are putting an elite defensive product on the floor?"  Get Alford a defensive minded assistant and I think he could do well here.  Then again he could fail too.  But honestly, if the grand slam hire does not pan out, everything from there is a crap shoot.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

After that sweet 16 team he lost two freshman to the NBA in Ball and Leaf.  Everyone knew Ball would leave but it was a little surprise when Leaf left.  Not saying he would be on the top of my list but if we can't get a Matta, Beilein or Beard then I would look at an IU guy.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Googled both...There were never any charges (not enough evidence...he said she said) and both players were suspended for a year...What should Archie have done?

I’m not sure... You should ask the people who are morally opposed to hiring Alford because of what happened at Iowa.

And here comes the Alford defenders, so my last thing....

The guy has coach for 25 years and has 4 Sweet 16s. Miller had an elite 8. Crean had a final 4. Sampson had a final 4. All in less than 10 years. 

If Alford wasn't a former player, nobody would even consider him. 

I just don't think that after 25 years, Aflord is all of the sudden going to be a threat to go deep into tourneys because he used to play here. 

Carry on.... :)

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m not sure... You should ask the people who are morally opposed to hiring Alford because of what happened at Iowa.

I think a lot of the feelings surrounding the Alford/Pierce situation hinged on what Pierre did AFTER he'd been given a second chance...

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am glad that you have never made a mistake that was in the public eye. I am not saying Alford should be hired but most people have done things that they regret highly and I fir one believe if forgiveness and multiple chances at redemption.  I am not perfect and without forgiveness not sure where I would be

I am not perfect, nor did I ever claim to be.  We’ve all made mistakes and I’m always in favor of giving people a second chance. But if I was a parent I would never send my kid to be coached by someone who did nothing to stop a situation like that one. I wouldn’t send my kid to be coached by guys like Pitino either. Their actions don’t align with my morals. 

Plus it’s not like these mistakes were made by a college kid. He was in his late 30s. Furthermore, nobody is saying that he’s just sitting on his couch waiting for a job after leaving Iowa. He’s had plenty of chances to show he’s a coach worthy of being hired by IU and in my eyes has never met that standard. Just my opinion.

And I've said this before...

I knew Steve when he was a kid...Played baseball for his father Sam...A more decent family you'll never find...

But, you can tout all the Sweet 16s you want at UCLA, with the talent he had Sweet 16s coming out of a weak conference should have almost been a gimme...

Here's what I'm talking about

2013-14- 6 Players who played in the NBA and 7 RSCI Top 60 kids

2014-15 3 NBA 6 Top 53 RSCI

15-16 3 NBA 6 Top 60

16-17 5 NBA 6 Top 60

17-18 2 NBA 6 Top 60

He had a ton of talent and couldn't finish higher than 2nd in a weak conference...

I really like Steve a lot, but his window for being the coach at IU closed a few years back...

9 minutes ago, JugRox said:

And here comes the Alford defenders, so my last thing....

The guy has coach for 25 years and has 4 Sweet 16s. Miller had an elite 8. Crean had a final 4. Sampson had a final 4. All in less than 10 years. 

If Alford wasn't a former player, nobody would even consider him. 

I just don't think that after 25 years, Aflord is all of the sudden going to be a threat to go deep into tourneys because he used to play here. 

Carry on.... :)

I’m far from an Alford defender. I just decided to look up his record at UCLA because I remember him doing decent and it was actually much better than I anticipated. It’s better than what we have seen since Knight left. 

The fact that he is a former player is actually a plus. He knows the IU culture. In leadership culture is so huge. Which is why he should get a look. The Iowa Pierce situation would have to be discussed ad nauseam in a interview. Look at Duke, the bench is full of former players. UNC may still be that way because it used to be. Those are the models of excellence in college basketball IMO. They take care of their own. IU hasn’t even attempted to go within the family and they have been stuck in a rut for 2 decades. I’m ready for an IU guy to get a shot just to close that avenue if it doesn’t work out. Doesn’t need to be Alford either. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I knew Steve when he was a kid...Played baseball for his father Sam...A more decent family you'll never find...

But, you can tout all the Sweet 16s you want at UCLA, with the talent he had Sweet 16s coming out of a weak conference should have almost been a gimme...

15-16 3 NBA 6 Top 60

16-17 5 NBA 6 Top 60

17-18 2 NBA 6 Top 60

He had a ton of talent and couldn't finish higher than 2nd in a weak conference...

I really like Steve a lot, but his window for being the coach at IU closed a few years back...

I haven’t looked but did he finish lower than Arizona and the cheating Sean Miller’s?

7 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I am not perfect, nor did I ever claim to be.  We’ve all made mistakes and I’m always in favor of giving people a second chance. But if I was a parent I would never send my kid to be coached by someone who did nothing to stop a situation like that one. I wouldn’t send my kid to be coached by guys like Pitino either. Their actions don’t align with my morals. 

Plus it’s not like these mistakes were made by a college kid. He was in his late 30s. Furthermore, nobody is saying that he’s just sitting on his couch waiting for a job after leaving Iowa. He’s had plenty of chances to show he’s a coach worthy of being hired by IU and in my eyes has never met that standard. Just my opinion.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Just like many would not allow their kids to play for Knight I would have no issue with it but my wife would. 

By your standards mistakes can only happen when your young. Glad my minister does not think that way. Not sure off the top of my head but how long ago did Alford do that?

What did CAM prove more than Alford? 1more win in the tourney??

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

15-16 3 NBA 6 Top 60

16-17 5 NBA 6 Top 60

17-18 2 NBA 6 Top 60

That is a fair opinion too.  I won't knock you for that.  It is just the idea that he did "bad" at UCLA.  That isn't true.  At all.

Archived