Potential replacement coaches

I just really wonder if we lose out the rest of the year, the buyout really wouldn’t be an issue to cut ties after this season. There really is a difference between 10mil and 3mil, and I could see the admin thinking that’s a pretty big deal and want to save that. On the other hand, I’d also like to think that Dolson would see how keeping Archie could cost us way more in the long run if we keep him for another letdown season, assuming we lose out the rest of the games this year. This is his chance to show us he’s in control and is willing to do what it takes to get IU back to where it’s supposed to be...and I’d like to think he knows what that’s supposed to look like. 
  I like Archie and feel for the guy and his family for taking this heat, but I want to see IU win. Something just isn’t clicking and I’m sure Archie would do great somewhere else and I’d certainly root for the guy. Seeing us hovering around 10th in the league and seeing Illinois and OSU ranked in the top 5 is just not fun. Plus obviously the Purdue losing streak. I wanna see some more Sheehey-flexing type of beatdowns. We should be one of the premiere basketball programs in the country, and can’t even be the premiere program in our state. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great list, and outstanding combination of stats and Indiana related information.  Very impressive. 

Mussellman could be an outstanding option. Love his quotes about wanting his daughter to experience Assembly Hall due to historical significance. He would seem to "get it". 

Also informative to see his desire to adapt to player strengths and situations. With his NBA background, and having coached on the biggest stage, could be a great option.

I heard an interview with Musselman driving home from work a couple of weeks ago.  He came across as an impressive guy.  That was only one interview so maybe that's not normal, I don't know.  

20 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I heard an interview with Musselman driving home from work a couple of weeks ago.  He came across as an impressive guy.  That was only one interview so maybe that's not normal, I don't know.  

In your (or anybody else that cares to comment) eyes, is Musselman a "home run" hire?

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In your (or anybody else that cares to comment) eyes, is Musselman a "home run" hire?

Is he a "homerun"? no  Is he worth 5+mm/yr? N.   Is he the best non homerun hire? Maybe.  Is he a better option than another year of Archie?  Yes.   Not sure anyone outside of Stevens, Donovan or maybe Matta/Pitino would be considered homerun coaching hires by the message board fan base.  

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.05.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.05.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.06.01 AM.png

These would be my choices of the "realistic" hires.  That being said, given the shape the program is in and what it needs to return to glory, I hope no one is considered "unrealistic" when the time comes to make a change.

10 minutes ago, iucane said:

Is he a better option than another year of Archie? 

I think that's the $10 million dollar question...You said yes, but is there any degree of certainty with that?

Last year he was 7-11 in a weaker conference than the B1G and was going to miss the tournament...

I've watched his team play a couple of times this year, mainly to see how Justin Smith is doing...He's not getting anything more, and possibly less on the defensive end, from Justin than Archie got...That really doesn't matter though...

The Musselman's do like to move around a lot...His dad had 14 head coaching gigs in the 60s, 70's and 80's...And he's never stayed at any of the 9 coaching (head and assistant) gigs he's had more than 4 years...

Got the Larry Brown syndrome I guess...

There is no set in stone, HR hire IMO.  There are tiers but every guy people are mentioning (including Brad Stevens) have things you can point to as potential pitfalls.  Some guys have more of those things on their list.

I think Miller might have been a just fine coach at another school.  He had a bunch of positive things about him before he was hired (along with some negatives).  This is not an exact science, you just have to get the right fit.

I will say this though, we have a bunch of guys in their mid 60's (or older) being thrown around as candidates, I think that is a bad route to go personally.  Beilein took time at Michigan.  I think he is being overrated as an immediate HR hire by many.

The only bad taste I have from Drew is that story about him threatening to deport Hanner. 

That said, the more I think about it, stealing Drew away from Baylor could be the equivalent to Kansas stealing away Self from Illinois.

If he can get those players in Waco (hopefully legitimately); could he get similar caliber recruits, plus more (and more consistently), in Bloomington? Just makes me wonder. 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's the $10 million dollar question...You said yes, but is there any degree of certainty with that?

Last year he was 7-11 in a weaker conference than the B1G and was going to miss the tournament...

I've watched his team play a couple of times this year, mainly to see how Justin Smith is doing...He's not getting anything more, and possibly less on the defensive end, from Justin than Archie got...That really doesn't matter though...

The Musselman's do like to move around a lot...His dad had 14 head coaching gigs in the 60s, 70's and 80's...And he's never stayed at any of the 9 coaching (head and assistant) gigs he's had more than 4 years...

Got the Larry Brown syndrome I guess...

That was also his first year at Arkansas so that played a big role in it.  I’m not saying I want him but just pointing out the facts.  Not sure of what kind of situation he was brought into either.

It is a big if but if everything checked out and Drew was clean then he would have to be the #1 choice.  He has Indiana ties and if he can win at Baylor then he should here as well.  The thing is that in the back of my mind that something is up with him getting voted as one of the dirtiest coaches.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's the $10 million dollar question

And this question is ONLY going to be answered by the big money donors.   The Pres or AD or message board fans wont decide.  I don't think there is a material difference in 10mm buyout or 3mm buyout to the big money donors IF they WANT to make a change.  Especially considering some/all may be offset by a new contract.  IF they want change, I don't think they sit on their hands 1 more year to potentially save 7mm.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is a big if but if everything checked out and Drew was clean then he would have to be the #1 choice.  He has Indiana ties and if he can win at Baylor then he should here as well.  The thing is that in the back of my mind that something is up with him getting voted as one of the dirtiest coaches.

Other than coaches thinking he’s dirty because of the recruits he’s gotten, has there ever been a whiff of legitimate improprieties surrounding him or the Baylor basketball program?  

Not debating. I’m genuinely asking because I don’t know. 

Looking at Baylor's roster, their best players the last two years have been transfers and four stars recruit. I think if he had been pulling a bunch of five stars recently and that's why they're good I'd be more hesitant and think he's cheating. But looking at their roster I struggle to see who they would have had to cheat to get. It looks like they are just really good at developing players which is would be a welcome change. I really think Drew would be a home run hire. I wish he we got to see his team play in the tourney last year. I think all he's missing is that deep final four or title run which he very well could get this year. Them and Gonzaga are on another level. Plus he's been having success in the Big 12 which year in and year out has been one of the best conferences. 

6 minutes ago, iucane said:

And this question is ONLY going to be answered by the big money donors.   The Pres or AD or message board fans wont decide.  I don't think there is a material difference in 10mm buyout or 3mm buyout to the big money donors IF they WANT to make a change.  Especially considering some/all may be offset by a new contract.  IF they want change, I don't think they sit on their hands 1 more year to potentially save 7mm.

I'm sure they'll work out the numbers if they want to...I'm just doubtful they do that kind of thing for another hire that's not a "home run."

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Other than coaches thinking he’s dirty because of the recruits he’s gotten, has there ever been a whiff of legitimate improprieties surrounding him or the Baylor basketball program?  

Not debating. I’m genuinely asking because I don’t know. 

Not that I recall

10 minutes ago, iucane said:

Cuban could just sell some Bitcoin

5 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

Looking at Baylor's roster, their best players the last two years have been transfers and four stars recruit. I think if he had been pulling a bunch of five stars recently and that's why they're good I'd be more hesitant and think he's cheating. But looking at their roster I struggle to see who they would have had to cheat to get. It looks like they are just really good at developing players which is would be a welcome change. I really think Drew would be a home run hire. I wish he we got to see his team play in the tourney last. I think the last thing he's missing would be that deep final four or title run which he very well could get this year. Them and Gonzaga are on another level this year. Plus he's been having success in the Big 12 which year in and year out has been one of the best conferences. 

The thing is if he wins a championship at Baylor why would he leave to go to IU

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is if he wins a championship at Baylor why would he leave to go to IU

He would have no reason to tbh. Honestly I'm hoping they make it to the final four but don't win so we have a shot at hiring him. We could also double his salary if we're serious about winning. Money talks and I don't know enough about Baylor to know how much they can pay a coach. 

Archived