Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUJoe said:

Perhaps because nobody in Waco knows who Baylor's basketball coach was 70 years ago.

The goal of all coaches is to win championships so if he can do it there there is no incentive to leave.  He wins a championship there then he will have a job for life.  If he comes to IU and don't produce he will be out of a job in 4 years.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The goal of all coaches is to win championships so if he can do it there there is no incentive to leave.  He wins a championship there then he will have a job for life.  If he comes to IU and don't produce he will be out of a job in 4 years.

All that I can say to that is that some people are wired differently and are eager to take on the next challenge. 

2 hours ago, IUrocker said:

I just really wonder if we lose out the rest of the year, the buyout really wouldn’t be an issue to cut ties after this season. There really is a difference between 10mil and 3mil, and I could see the admin thinking that’s a pretty big deal and want to save that. On the other hand, I’d also like to think that Dolson would see how keeping Archie could cost us way more in the long run if we keep him for another letdown season, assuming we lose out the rest of the games this year. This is his chance to show us he’s in control and is willing to do what it takes to get IU back to where it’s supposed to be...and I’d like to think he knows what that’s supposed to look like. 
  I like Archie and feel for the guy and his family for taking this heat, but I want to see IU win. Something just isn’t clicking and I’m sure Archie would do great somewhere else and I’d certainly root for the guy. Seeing us hovering around 10th in the league and seeing Illinois and OSU ranked in the top 5 is just not fun. Plus obviously the Purdue losing streak. I wanna see some more Sheehey-flexing type of beatdowns. We should be one of the premiere basketball programs in the country, and can’t even be the premiere program in our state. 

The actual difference between keeping Miller another year or not isn't $7M, it's more like $4M. $10M if fired right after the season ends and the buyout does drop to about $3M in a year but Miller would also get paid for that year. So the price of getting rid of Miller after next season isn't $3M, it's over $6M. Thus the difference between getting rid of Miller now or next year is "only" about $4M, maybe less.

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

The actual difference between keeping Miller another year or not isn't $7M, it's more like $4M. $10M if fired right after the season ends and the buyout does drop to about $3M in a year but Miller would also get paid for that year. So the price of getting rid of Miller after next season isn't $3M, it's over $6M. Thus the difference between getting rid of Miller now or next year is "only" about $4M, maybe less.

Plus it's not 10 million all at once.  It's spread out over multiple years and offset by any future contract he gets. I think Archie is young enough and showed enough at Dayton to get another job if he was fired here. 

11 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Also, the buyout goes down dollar for dollar with any work he takes, which he is required to search for. 

35 minutes ago, KDB said:

Musselman would be a very strong hire, imo.

Yawn. I mean he is probably a good coach but if he's the best we can do then I'd rather just keep Archie and hope continuity and stability eventually breeds success.

I don't see boosters and the athletic department coming up with $10M to buy out Archie and bring in Eric Musselman. 

28 minutes ago, KDB said:

Musselman would be a very strong hire, imo.

I think he would be a good hire.  He utilizes transfers about as good as any coach and there should be plenty to go after to fill out a roster for next season.  If we can't get a top tier level guy like Beard, Musselman would be towards the top of my realistic candidate list.  

10 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Yawn. I mean he is probably a good coach but if he's the best we can do then I'd rather just keep Archie and hope continuity and stability eventually breeds success.

I don't see boosters and the athletic department coming up with $10M to buy out Archie and bring in Eric Musselman. 

The thing is that if you wait until you get a sure fire elite coach you will be waiting a long time.  You have to ask yourself is keeping Archie one more year going to change anything.  If you eventually going to fire him after next year then just do it now.  The bad part is that a Musselman or an Oates are probably going to be on the top tier of coaches who we can get.  No way we are getting Stevens or Donovan or any others like Wright and Bennett so this is the type of coach we will get  it doesn't matter if it is this year or two years from now we won't be getting elite established coaches.

I think this thread has shown that IU actually has some options depending on where they would want to go with things if Archie was bought out.  I think the more I read the more I am intrigued by Drew.  Seems like someone that could check a lot of boxes for what the program needs.  But I think I would take a chance on 6-10 of the coaches listed over what IU has going now and that says a lot to me.

2 hours ago, unexpectedflash said:

Looking at Baylor's roster, their best players the last two years have been transfers and four stars recruit. I think if he had been pulling a bunch of five stars recently and that's why they're good I'd be more hesitant and think he's cheating. But looking at their roster I struggle to see who they would have had to cheat to get. It looks like they are just really good at developing players which is would be a welcome change. I really think Drew would be a home run hire. I wish he we got to see his team play in the tourney last year. I think all he's missing is that deep final four or title run which he very well could get this year. Them and Gonzaga are on another level. Plus he's been having success in the Big 12 which year in and year out has been one of the best conferences. 

My mentor and high school basketball coach was given a chance by Baylor and coach Drew and now he is an assistant at UNF because of it... I can tell you based off of knowing coach Driscoll, who was Drew’s right hand man, and having some insight there is absolutely nothing dirty going on at Baylor. Coach Driscoll doesn’t even allow his staff or players to cuss PERIOD. Not on the court, the gym, in the locker room, nothing. My mentor and coach Driscoll speak very highly of Coach Drew.

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My mentor and high school basketball coach was given a chance by Baylor and coach Drew and now he is an assistant at UNF because of it... I can tell you based off of knowing coach Driscoll, who was Drew’s right hand man, and having some insight there is absolutely nothing dirty going on at Baylor. Coach Driscoll doesn’t even allow his staff or players to cuss PERIOD. Not on the court, the gym, in the locker room, nothing. My mentor and coach Driscoll speak very highly of Coach Drew.

Also, isn't Baylor a very far right University?  I don’t think they even allow drinking.  I don't understand why they'd keep Drew for almost 2 decades if he was dirty. 

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Baylor assistants and Drew threatened to get Hanner Perea kicked out of the U.S. if he didn't go to Baylor. Yes Coach Drew knew about it. And yes there is a lot, lot more to the story.

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

Baylor assistants and Drew threatened to get Hanner Perea kicked out of the U.S. if he didn't go to Baylor. Yes Coach Drew knew about it. And yes there is a lot, lot more to the story.

Oh I don’t disagree to stories like that happening at all. It was just my personal experience. I bet 80% of college coaches have skeletons like that in which us fans will never ever know about probably including CAM

3 hours ago, JugRox said:

FYI for everyone.....

There are rumors that Musselman has some off the court problems that have kept big time programs away.

IMO, Musselman would be an outstanding hire.

image.png.f992a6721d86abaa89bee8eb9f2fe070.png

I think Musselman is a terrific coach as well.  I do remember some whispers about something coming up in a background check that UCLA did on him when they were considering him and others before Cronin was hired.  As you said, people hinted that it was something personal and not a coaching/compliance issue.  

Archived