Potential replacement coaches

I'd personally prefer Matta but obviously I don't know where his health is. 

If he's ready to coach, I think he's the best option. Been to multiple Final Fours and more Elite 8's, has won multiple conference regular season and tournament titles. 

If he isn't healthy or interested in coaching again, then Drew might be a guy that given the last couple of years could come with some momentum. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd personally prefer Matta but obviously I don't know where his health is. 

If he's ready to coach, I think he's the best option. Been to multiple Final Fours and more Elite 8's, has won multiple conference regular season and tournament titles. 

If he isn't healthy or interested in coaching again, then Drew might be a guy that given the last couple of years could come with some momentum. 

I think we’d be lucky to get either and both would be clear upgrades. The only reason I’d pick Drew over Matta is because the last time Matta had a team anywhere near as good as Drew’s last two teams was in 2012 which is a long time ago. Just feel like it’d be a bigger risk than a guy who’s had a top 5 team the last two years. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's say Baylor makes the Final Four.  Would he realistically leave that team for this?  Does Baylor have a bunch of seniors?

They have two starters that are seniors. Their best player could declare early. If he stays they’d probably be a top 10 team next year also just with their player development and a top 10 recruiting class coming in. He makes 2.7 million a year right now. Let’s say we offer 5 million a year, that’d be pretty tough to turn down. It definitely would take our administration opening up the wallets, which I don’t know if they’d be willing to do and him viewing Indiana as a step up from Baylor for it to happen. I think one advantage we do have however is that he spent a lot of his childhood in Indiana. He was probably in high school during our last title so maybe that helps in our favor. 

Edited by unexpectedflash
  • Like 1

I feel like this has been talked about before. He could just be wired differently. Calipari left Memphis which has a much richer basketball history than Baylor for Kentucky. He had John Wall and Cousins committed to Memphis so a similar situation to what Drew would have and still left. Who knows? Maybe Drew would leave like Calipari did but we won’t know unless we actually try.

Edited by unexpectedflash

7 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Regarding Sampson...we will never know but I would not be surprised if he had one a championship or two by now. 

Sampson could coach, no doubt about it. It’s been said before and I will echo other posters, coaches need to play in the grey area without getting us into trouble. I’m of the opinion that all top programs push the envelope as far as possible without getting sanctions, some push farther without much trouble. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well.... Y'all were a pretty bad franchise before Kerr got there. Hard to pin that on one coach. 

The Run TMC team was good. The Webber team was good. Had some good years with Baron Davis. But year there were plenty of lean years in there. It wasn’t until a group that left the Celtics bought the Warriors did it turn into the franchise we’ve watched over the last decade. 

3 hours ago, unexpectedflash said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/27/indiana-hoosiers-archie-miller-scott-drew

Pat Forde just put this out. Hopefully national writers making articles like this means the end is near. 

One thing I disagree with:

Last Wednesday, in Miller’s 121st game leading the Hoosiers, the coach watched Rutgers—the worst program in the Big Ten when he arrived—dunk all over his passive team. The Scarlet Knights grabbed uncontested rebounds, swatted away shots and ran the floor with impunity. They took a 20-point lead before easing off and winning by 11.

Hard? This was easy. Laughably easy. Low-point-of-the-Miller-era easy.

Probably not even in the top 5 after Purdue in CBK's return, Indiana State, IPFW twice, OSU in BTT with NCAAT bid on the line, NW at home this year...

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

One thing I disagree with:

Last Wednesday, in Miller’s 121st game leading the Hoosiers, the coach watched Rutgers—the worst program in the Big Ten when he arrived—dunk all over his passive team. The Scarlet Knights grabbed uncontested rebounds, swatted away shots and ran the floor with impunity. They took a 20-point lead before easing off and winning by 11.

Hard? This was easy. Laughably easy. Low-point-of-the-Miller-era easy.

Probably not even in the top 5 after Purdue in CMK's return, Indiana State, IPFW twice, OSU in BTT with NCAAT bid on the line, NW at home this year...

There are so many.  Add this year, not making the tournament when your state is hosting the entire thing.  5 years straight losing recording conference, 1st time in 100 years.  Smh