Potential replacement coaches

Reading the Forde column about Drew got me thinking that a possible plan of attack would be to wait until Stevens' season is over and go all out to hire him.  If he is convinced, you have your grand slam and gladly pay the bail for CAM.  If that fails, begin putting feelers out for Drew (and others).  By the time next season is complete you save the million$ and have a good handle on who you can get.

I'm not advocating this, but it's a strategy I can envision being preferred by TPTB.

P.S.  I have to think there's a good chance that through serious, concerted inquiry Stevens' interest could be guaged well before his season ends.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Drew rumors seem to be gaining traction..he may even be interested if the opening was available 

That would be good news. Are you getting this from other sites or   elsewhere?  Drew would definitely be a step in the right direction 

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Reading the Forde column about Drew got me thinking that a possible plan of attack would be to wait until Stevens' season is over and go all out to hire him.  If he is convinced, you have your grand slam and gladly pay the bail for CAM.  If that fails, begin putting feelers out for Drew (and others).  By the time next season is complete you save the million$ and have a good handle on who you can get.

I'm not advocating this, but it's a strategy I can envision being preferred by TPTB.

P.S.  I have to think there's a good chance that through serious, concerted inquiry Stevens' interest could be guaged well before his season ends.

I like the way you think :D

• Haha 1

Scott Drew hasn't been to the Elite 8 since the 2011 season.  

He's never been to a Final 4, and has only been to the Elite 8 twice.  Keep in mind he's been coaching at Baylor since Mike Davis was walking our sidelines.

9 times out of 14 seasons, he's had double digit losses.  His first 4 years were a mess so I didn't count those.

What do people see out of Scott Drew that makes them think he'd be capable of sustained, consistent success here?

5 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

He's never been to a Final 4, and has only been to the Elite 8 twice.  Keep in mind he's been coaching at Baylor since Mike Davis was walking our sidelines.

9 times out of 14 seasons, he's had double digit losses.  His first 4 years were a mess so I didn't count those.

What do people see out of Scott Drew that makes them think he'd be capable of sustained, consistent success here?

He changed the defense he was running last year. He had always been able to coach an elite offense but the defense was holding him back. I think he’s found something these last two years and would’ve loved to see his team in the tourney last year. If he makes a final four run last year or this year then there’d be very few questions about him. They’ve been ranked in the top 5 for 25 straight weeks. They’ll be a top 10 team again next year most likely. That gives me hope for sustained success.

Edited by unexpectedflash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

They’re one of 6 teams to have 18 wins or more the last 12 years. The other six schools to do that are coached by hall of famers. I don’t think Baylor is some amazing basketball school. They hadn’t ever been good before him. I think Indiana is still a top 15 job in the country and Scott would be able to take advantage of that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

He changed the defense he was running last year. He had always been able to coach an elite offense but the defense was holding him back. I think he’s found something these last two years and would’ve loved to see his team in the tourney last year. If he makes a final four run last year or this year then there’d be very few questions about him. They’ve been ranked in the top 5 for 25 straight weeks. They’ll be a top 10 team again next year most likely. That gives me hope for sustained success.

Out of curiosity because I have no idea, but what are the changes he made to their defense?

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Drew doesn’t do much for me. He’s clearly better than Archie but he’s never won his conference regular season or tourney.  Well his one year at Valpo I guess

He’s going to win it this year unless they lose out which is unlikely. I think whether or not you like Drew is based on if you think these last two years are sustainable or not.

2 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

Thanks.  I'm not an X's & O's student by any means, but the description sounds like it's not a variation of the "packline D" ("forcing play toward the baseline and dogged on-ball pressure") - and that is encouraging.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Thanks.  I'm not an X's & O's student by any means, but the description sounds like it's not a variation of the "packline D" ("forcing play toward the baseline and dogged on-ball pressure") - and that is encouraging.

I’ve watched a good amount of Baylor the last two years and they’re fun to watch on defense. Always high effort and making the other team uncomfortable with their constant pressure. The defensive efficiency numbers backup that it’s an elite defensive system.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen people bring up Scott Skiles and I just have to laugh at some of these suggestions.

Watching the Bulls in the early 2000’s I always thought Skiles would be better suited for college vs. the NBA. Not saying that he’d be on my list, but I am curious to see if he’d have any success at this level.