Potential replacement coaches

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Watching the Bulls in the early 2000’s I always thought Skiles would be better suited for college vs. the NBA. Not saying that he’d be on my list, but I am curious to see if he’d have any success at this level. 

To me it seems like he rubs people the wrong way and he wasn't able to stay in one place long but could be wrong

Unless we’re getting Stevens which I think is unrealistic at this point, I think it’s possible to find flaws in all of the possible candidates. But a new hire is as much about projecting what they’ll be in the future as what they’ve done in the past and everyone has their own opinion on who they think will be the best. In my opinion I think it’s easiest to see how a coach that has had a top 5 team with a team full of 4 star recruits and transfers the last two years would be able to have success here. 

I just hope the people making the hire finally are able to get one of these right. Since all of these candidates have some flaws it’ll take a little luck which we are definitely due for after 25 years of mediocre basketball. 

2 hours ago, BDB said:

That would be good news. Are you getting this from other sites or   elsewhere?  Drew would definitely be a step in the right direction 

Just reading around....usually when there is alot of chatter going on something is up...just like with CAM,alot of chatter about him,his 4 seasons, his buyout...where there is smoke,there is usually a fire

• Like 3

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

One thing I have noticed, and it might be nothing...but I have not heard Dolson make any kind of comment in support of Archie with all the chatter and articles starting to pop up about replacing CAM.

If he's smart he won't until the season is over...never count your chickens...

• Like 2

It does make me wonder if at this point there’s more fire than smoke with a change likely being made after this season, or if it could possibly be just media using the frustration they obviously see with the fans as fuel to come up with articles based off chatter and frustration which leads to get them their clicks. Do media outlets really know some things we don’t that actually make them think a change will be made, or are they just using places like this to write up articles that they know will blow up and stir the pot...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If he's smart he won't until the season is over...never count your chickens...

I hear you. But he must be at the very least seriously considering making a change or I would have thought he would have put out some sort of statement such as "CAM is our coach and we have full confidence in him etc."

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I hear you. But he must be at the very least seriously considering making a change or I would have thought he would have put out some sort of statement such as "CAM is our coach and we have full confidence in him etc."

I've always interpreted those "statements of support" to be the kiss of death...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I've been saying all along that he's the obvious hire.  Now go watch Baylor win the NT this year.  We always have the worst luck.

IF IU makes a change after the season I would list my (somewhat) realistic favorites as:

1. Brad Stevens...(maybe he isn't realistic but you have to try...and then try again...and maybe a 3rd time!)

2. Scott Drew

3. Beard

4. Matta (depending on health)

5. Musselman/Altman

I'm not sure there are any other realistic options that would excite me much. My fear is that if Dolson makes a change he will call Stevens and he will say no and then he will call Alford.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

IF IU makes a change after the season I would list my (somewhat) realistic favorites as:

1. Brad Stevens...(maybe he isn't realistic but you have to try...and then try again...and maybe a 3rd time!)

2. Scott Drew

3. Beard

5. Musselman/Altman

I'm not sure there are any other realistic options that would excite me much. My fear is that if Dolson makes a change he will call Stevens and he will say no and then he will call Alford.

Thats a realistic list

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

2. Scott Drew

3. Beard

5. Musselman/Altman

I like this list, though I'm not sure on Altman and I don't love Matta. I hope we get things set up before firing Archie though - I would rather keep Archie for another year than just fire him and begin a fresh search from the beginning with no real idea of whom we can actually get. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I like this list, though I'm not sure on Altman and I don't love Matta. I hope we get things set up before firing Archie though - I would rather keep Archie for another year than just fire him and begin a fresh search from the beginning with no real idea of whom we can actually get. 

Yep. I think if Dolson makes a move he needs to really have something in place before just firing Archie and hoping for the best. I listed those in order of preference...Altman was probably a little behind Musselman for me. Of those I listed I feel confident Drew or Musselman would come if IU made a strong offer. The others are all more question marks for various reasons. I don't think IU can take a risk on a mid major flavor of the month...if they do that they might as well just stick with CAM for another year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Thing is if he stays another year and then we have to fire hi after year 5 we would still have the same candidates

• Like 1

Here’s my list (in no particular order). Tbh I think the only ones we have a legit shot with are Beilein and Pitino. Just can’t see any of them viewing the IU job as a step up from what they got currently. 

Rick Pitino

Thad Matta

John Beilein

Brad Stevens

Scott Drew

Leonard Hamilton 

Long Kruger

Bruce Pearl

Chris Beard 

Mark Few

Dana Altman

Eric Mussleman

Nate Oats

Rick Barnes

13 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Here’s my list (in no particular order). Tbh I think the only ones we have a legit shot with are Beilein and Pitino. Just can’t see any of them viewing the IU job as a step up from what they got currently. 

Rick Pitino-

Thad Matta- 

John Beilein- 

Brad Stevens

Scott Drew

Leonard Hamilton 

Long Kruger

Bruce Pearl

Chris Beard 

Mark Few

Dana Altman

Eric Mussleman

Nate Oats

Rick Barnes

Rick Pitino-Don't want him

Thad Matta- I like it

John Beilein- I like it

Brad Stevens- no chance

Scott Drew- Like it if his back ground checks out

Leonard Hamilton- Don't see him leaving FSU at age 71

Long Kruger-  Good solid candidate but nothing spectacular 

Bruce Pearl- Never would want him

Chris Beard- I like it 

Mark Few- No chance

Dana Altman- I like it but how much is his success due to Nike

Eric Mussleman- Maybe

Nate Oats- Maybe

Rick Barnes- He would be alright

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Rick Pitino

Thad Matta

John Beilein

Brad Stevens

Scott Drew

Leonard Hamilton 

Long Kruger

Bruce Pearl

Chris Beard 

Mark Few

Dana Altman

Eric Mussleman

Nate Oats

Rick Barnes

Love your list particularly since it has NO Alford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1