Potential replacement coaches

30 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Here’s my list (in no particular order). Tbh I think the only ones we have a legit shot with are Beilein and Pitino. Just can’t see any of them viewing the IU job as a step up from what they got currently. 

Rick Pitino

Thad Matta

John Beilein

Brad Stevens

Scott Drew

Leonard Hamilton 

Long Kruger

Bruce Pearl

Chris Beard 

Mark Few

Dana Altman

Eric Mussleman

Nate Oats

Rick Barnes

Solid list! Stevens and Few are basically 100% unrealistic, I don't love Kruger and doubt Hamilton would leave FSU at 71, but I think the rest vary from really strong to solid options. 

4 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Scott Drew hasn't been to the Elite 8 since the 2011 season.  

He's never been to a Final 4, and has only been to the Elite 8 twice.  Keep in mind he's been coaching at Baylor since Mike Davis was walking our sidelines.

9 times out of 14 seasons, he's had double digit losses.  His first 4 years were a mess so I didn't count those.

What do people see out of Scott Drew that makes them think he'd be capable of sustained, consistent success here?

Here's a tidbit:  Baylor has been ranked for 262 weeks in its program's history.  260 of those weeks have been under Scott Drew.  The other 2 weeks were in 1968-69 (1 week) and 1948-49 (1 week).  If you're looking for someone that's taken a program to heights far above what it ever achieved before, I don't think you'll find much better than Drew.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm not sure why some think Scott Drew is unrealistic. He makes roughly what CAM does and I don't believe he currently has a buyout. He has strong Indiana ties (the state not IU). I would wager if IU offered him $4+ million a year he would come in a heartbeat.

I’m not doing back flips for him but I’d be excited to see what he could do. And yes I totally agree I don’t think that’s an unreasonable hire at all.

14 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm not sure why some think Scott Drew is unrealistic. He makes roughly what CAM does and I don't believe he currently has a buyout. He has strong Indiana ties (the state not IU). I would wager if IU offered him $4+ million a year he would come in a heartbeat.

I'm not knocking his faith (Mike Davis was very open about his and that's fine), but I believe this could be a problem at a lot of places not named Baylor. A quote from S. Drew in 2017:

When asked about how he has galvanized his team, Drew made an interesting comment, saying that, “We might not win games and I might be a horrible coach, but if any of these guys leave Baylor without knowing Christ, that will be the real loss.”

6 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Scott Drew hasn't been to the Elite 8 since the 2011 season.  

He's never been to a Final 4, and has only been to the Elite 8 twice.  Keep in mind he's been coaching at Baylor since Mike Davis was walking our sidelines.

9 times out of 14 seasons, he's had double digit losses.  His first 4 years were a mess so I didn't count those.

What do people see out of Scott Drew that makes them think he'd be capable of sustained, consistent success here?

Drew is 44-5 (25-4) the last 2 years.

He is 110-42 (55-28) the last 5 years. Missed the NCAA once.

At Baylor, without a single recruiting class ranked in the top 25.

For 2021? He has his first top 10 class.

Its proven he can win and his teams are know to be very physical and tough, which should translate well in the B10.

Drew would start winning day one with the new transfer rule at Indiana.

Making only 2.7 Million, from Indiana, and no buyout....IU could offer enough to leave Baylor.

My concerns:

no conference titles (finished lower than 4th 3 times the last 11 years). IU fans would take that in a heartbeat.

Only 2 elite 8s (IU fans would kill for one right now) with multiple 1 seeds

Drew is a slam dunk. Easily the most proven coach IU has a chance with...

Edited by JugRox
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'm not knocking his faith (Mike Davis was very open about his and that's fine), but I believe this could be a problem at a lot of places not named Baylor. A quote from S. Drew in 2017:

When asked about how he has galvanized his team, Drew made an interesting comment, saying that, “We might not win games and I might be a horrible coach, but if any of these guys leave Baylor without knowing Christ, that will be the real loss.”

Don't see a problem with that quote

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That won’t be a problem at IU. 

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

IF IU makes a change after the season I would list my (somewhat) realistic favorites as:

1. Brad Stevens...(maybe he isn't realistic but you have to try...and then try again...and maybe a 3rd time!)

2. Scott Drew

3. Beard

4. Matta (depending on health)

5. Musselman/Altman

I'm not sure there are any other realistic options that would excite me much. My fear is that if Dolson makes a change he will call Stevens and he will say no and then he will call Alford.

Matta, rumor is his health just isn’t in a place to comeback. I saw him a couple summers ago and he could barely walk.

52 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well, I have a problem with this quote. CAM did not win games, and some would say he is a horrible coach; however, we are running him off and all of us have got to know Christ these past four year because we have been minimally uttering "JC" under our breath watching these games.

On a semi serious note, I think state schools should not have coaches, professors, or administrators who attempt to indoctrinate the students.  I recognize that players could choose to play for him knowing that this is his belief, but many young men probably would feel like they could not attend unless they were religious.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Makes me like him even more lol. But he did coach at a private Christian university. Not sure how secular Baylor is but I can see that sitting well with many on their board etc. As far as IU...I could care less what the board thinks. As long as he wins games and his kids graduate.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Well, I have a problem with this quote. CAM did not win games, and some would say he is a horrible coach; however, we are running him off and all of us have got to know Christ these past four year because we have been minimally uttering "JC" under our breath watching these games.

On a semi serious note, I think state schools should not have coaches, professors, or administrators who attempt to indoctrinate the students.  I recognize that players could choose to play for him knowing that this is his belief, but many young men probably would feel like they could not attend unless they were religious.  

Just to bring context it might not have been Drew doing the indoctrination...that was a job for the school. He could have just agreed with the mission. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just to bring context it might not have been Drew doing the indoctrination...that was a job for the school. He could have just agreed with the mission. 

Faith is the reason Tonnegal hasn't left IWU.  He says that mentoring and doing devotionals is the most important thing to him.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

And I 100% respect that. Just saying you can support the overall mission but not be the one doing the avangelizing.

I don't have any problem with coaches doing that.  When the coach recruits kids I am sure it is mentioned that the coaches faith.  If they don't like it then the won't come ay for that coach.  I would say the Ayers he gets comes to the school partly for that reason.  I know in junior high our coach had us do a prayer before the game.

The other night at the IWU women's game both team met at half court for a prayer before and after the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't have any problem with coaches doing that.  When the coach recruits kids I am sure it is mentioned that the coaches faith.  If they don't like it then the won't come ay for that coach.  I would say the Ayers he gets comes to the school partly for that reason.  I know in junior high our coach had us do a prayer before the game.

The other night at the IWU women's game both team met at half court for a prayer before and after the game.

Yep. I am a person of faith and I understand there is a time and place for everything. If a coworker asked me questions or wanted me to lead them in a prayer I would do it in a heart beat. I’m sure Drew does the same. He isn’t going to force a kid into anything. I think this is a moot point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Well golly I’m gonna chime in. I’m a full time youth minister. Head coach of XC and Track at a pretty big D1 HS here in WI for 16 years. I had over a couple dozen come to know the Lord and to this day are actively serving Christ literally around the world. I had MANY families who were far from Christian and learned I loved them, cared for their kids, but heck I was a MINISTER, not like everyone didn’t know my faith was THE most important thing to me. 

BUT in 16 years as a coach the school never got a call about me and my faith being crammed down anyone’s throats, or me trying to “get kids to come to my youth mtgs” or trying to do anything “religious” at practice.

Yet over two dozen became Christians who before weren’t... 🤔 

Did I preach at practice? No. Did I lead a team Bible Study that was voluntary? No. Did I pray with kids or around kids? No. Then how?

Answer: Matthew 10:16 and 1 Peter 3:15-16

You can coach and be faithful to Christ and not draw attention to yourself.

That’s amazing! I would love my daughter to have a coach and another adult mentor like you. You are doing a great job helping these young men and women on and off the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Here’s my list (in no particular order). Tbh I think the only ones we have a legit shot with are Beilein and Pitino. Just can’t see any of them viewing the IU job as a step up from what they got currently. 

Rick Pitino

Thad Matta

John Beilein

Brad Stevens

Scott Drew

Leonard Hamilton 

Long Kruger

Bruce Pearl

Chris Beard 

Mark Few

Dana Altman

Eric Mussleman

Nate Oats

Rick Barnes

Very nice list. One person I was thinking of adding to the list I never hear or see Tubby Smiths name all to often. Very good overall record only real thing against him is he is close to 70 now.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s amazing! I would love my daughter to have a coach and another adult mentor like you. You are doing a great job helping these young men and women on and off the field. 

Wish I still was. Got beat to hell emotionally and mentally by two families and a former coach who wanted to push me out because they felt the young guy could do their sons better. Guy hadn’t coached but 1.5 years WITH ME, and I had developed 7 D1 runners when in school history they’d developed ZERO. But that wasn’t enough. Countless school records broken I could go on. I tried for two years to work with these people as Christ like as I could. School dumped the old coach and he kept trying to coach the boys on the streets and in the evenings during and after practice. Came to all meets warming up with them and under cutting every step of what I did. Nightmare. HR was involved AD everything. It was HELL. Eventually I developed anxiety and snapped. I walked away as my son entered HS to run XC and Track. He’s not a good runner lol...but was hoping to share these four years with him after sacrificing so much as a dad giving to this community and school.

A very sad ending to a faithful career. When I resigned my AD cried. 😢 So did most of the families. 

I love God, but I’ll never understand why he didn’t help. Just being honest.

Ok back to IU.

Thanks for letting me share everyone. Much healing to Go but for some reason it was good to type this out. ❤️ 

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I know this would be a great hire. But you can forget any Indiana Elite kids playing for him. I'm trying to get passed Drew tried to get Hanner deported. Hanner transferring is helping that.

22 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Wish I still was. Got beat to hell emotionally and mentally by two families and a former coach who wanted to push me out because they felt the young guy could do their sons better. Guy hadn’t coached but 1.5 years WITH ME, and I had developed 7 D1 runners when in school history they’d developed ZERO. But that wasn’t enough. Countless school records broken I could go on. I tried for two years to work with these people as Christ like as I could. School dumped the old coach and he kept trying to coach the boys on the streets and in the evenings during and after practice. Came to all meets warming up with them and under cutting every step of what I did. Nightmare. HR was involved AD everything. It was HELL. Eventually I developed anxiety and snapped. I walked away as my son entered HS to run XC and Track. He’s not a good runner lol...but was hoping to share these four years with him after sacrificing so much as a dad giving to this community and school.

A very sad ending to a faithful career. When I resigned my AD cried. 😢 So did most of the families. 

I love God, but I’ll never understand why he didn’t help. Just being honest.

Ok back to IU.

Thanks for letting me share everyone. Much healing to Go but for some reason it was good to type this out. ❤️ 

❤️ 

• Like 1