Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I believe there was one such rumor.  Trying to remember, was he there the night Dd got hit?

No. It was a different night.

Someone got caught drinking underage? Hanner was in the car. Rumor was he bought the alcohol. This was all after he was no longer on the team.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Disgusting.

It's clearly a joke.  Iirc you were close to some of the team back then.  IMO the rock star status hurt many from progressing.  

I also can't fathom what idiot would actually tell a 17 year old kid, hey come to Baylor but if you don't I'll have you deported.  That seems like a very poor recruiting pitch and one that I feel we don't know the whole story and if it's remotely true.  

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Weren't some of the off court problems we had AFTER HMP transferred because he came back and partied with the team? 

Yep.  Emmitt Holt got a ticket for underage possession of alcohol while he was driving around with Perea and I think Bryant after Perea and Devin Davis had been kicked off the team for getting caught smoking pot in their dorm/apartment the previous year.  I’m pretty sure that was the last straw for Holt, because he had already got that OWI after he ran Davis over in the Assembly Hall parking lot the previous year too, lol.

The 2014 and 2015 seasons were quite eventful, and Perea and Davis were the two main culprits... And the funniest part was they both got to play in the tournament after they transferred, while IU sat at home.

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's clearly a joke.  Iirc you were close to some of the team back then.  IMO the rock star status hurt many from progressing.  

I also can't fathom what idiot would actually tell a 17 year old kid, hey come to Baylor but if you don't I'll have you deported.  That seems like a very poor recruiting pitch and one that I feel we don't know the whole story and if it's remotely true.  

I know it was true.

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not trying to be combative, but do you know all sides of the story? 

Yes. Scott weaseled his way out of that one and the assistant took the fall for it all. I know the entire story with Perea. How he was recruited, how the high school was chosen, etc. Drew and Co tried getting one of my friends to house Perea in Chesterton and go to a different school in northwest indiana before he enrolled at LaLumiere.

Also would like to add Hanner was a great kid. He made a few mistakes but so do a lot of kids. He didn't have an easy life. Drew and Co tried taking advantage of that big time.

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Yes. Scott weaseled his way out of that one and the assistant took the fall for it all. I know the entire story with Perea. How he was recruited, how the high school was chosen, etc. Drew and Co tried getting one of my friends to house Perea in Chesterton and go to a different school in northwest indiana before he enrolled at LaLumiere.

Also would like to add Hanner was a great kid. He made a few mistakes but so do a lot of kids. He didn't have an easy life. Drew and Co tried taking advantage of that big time.

Thanks for the context. I've certainly never questioned him being a great kid; if anyone thinks poorly of a kid because they drink or smoke while in college, well, I have some bad news for them about humanity. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s hilarious to me that almost every potential replacement gets questioned for vague allegations of being “dirty,” but everyone just turns a blind eye to the fact that Archie was the top recruiter for his known scumbag brother at Arizona.

News Flash: EVERY COACH IS A CHEATING SCUMBAG.

Exactly, idk why people are so hung up over the cheating...look at the best coaches in CBB... Coach K (Zion bribes), Cal (Derick Rose SAT scores, UMass point shaving), Izzo (sexual assault culture), Coach Self (bribes), Coach’s Williams (fake classes), Pitino (bribes, hookers).

I said with my list I think the only 2 realistic chances at hiring a coach on the market that is capable of getting IU back is Rick Pitino and John Beilein. I can’t see our administration having the courage to hire Rick, so I think Coach B is really the only guy. Not a bad choice if you ask me tho haha

10 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

And the assistant, Mark Morefield, was someone Drew knew well from Valpo. Had a history.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2003/9/2/Drew_Adds_Morefield_To_Men_s_Basketball_Staff

Was Crean angelic enough for the people with morality questions about coaching candidates? Because we fired him too. I don't think you can name one remotely possible hire with a squeaky clean record that would actually be a step in the direction of competing. And if that's disappointing, that's understandable. But this is how college basketball has been for decades.

Archived