Potential replacement coaches

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s hilarious to me that almost every potential replacement gets questioned for vague allegations of being “dirty,” but everyone just turns a blind eye to the fact that Archie was the top recruiter for his known scumbag brother at Arizona.

News Flash: EVERY COACH IS A CHEATING SCUMBAG.

THIS.

He got in trouble for too many texts and phone calls.  Who gives a crap?  I did not give a crap about that with Sampson.  It was the team culture that was the problem there IMO.  The kids he brought in were not real high character guys in quite a few instances.

I expect our program to do whatever it is that Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., etc. do to get talent.  I want a guy who knows how to work those gray angles because when NLI hits, it is the wild west fellas.  And we are a program that should be really well situated to take advantage of that if we have anyone who has even the slightest clue of what they are doing down there.  It is finally taking advantage of the "delusional" fanbase that lives in the 1980's we all get accused of being by talking heads.  Yes, bleeping expect to be challenging for national titles on a regular basis because of the built in advantages we should have...."but so much competition..."  Yeah, you show me any other fanbase that would hold out for 20 freaking years waiting for things to get back on track and still be considered one of the most valuable programs with some of the highest attendance.  And that from a program that has missed the tournament as much as it has made it the past 20 years.

Get a guy who is going to get it done.  It is not cheating if everyone does it and the governing body looks the other way.  And before any of you get all holier than thou, none of you better speed when you are out driving.  If we are in a race and we are doing the speed limit when everyone else is doing 10 over and the cops don't care they are, then we are intentionally causing ourselves to lose.  

Jeff Goodman and Robbie Hummel can KMA about living in the 80's.  Losers think that way.  "You expect too much..."  Damn right I do you losers.  Why play the game if you don't expect to win?  "You have to compete with these other schools and you don't get the best kids in the state anymore..."  F that.  Things are the way they are because someone or someones that run this University made the decision for it to be that way.  Go win.  Go do what the NCAA has shown they do not care about.  Go sell your " delusional lunatic" fanbase as a positive when NLI drops.  We are not following football kids around like OSU and Michigan...not yet.  We have a gigantic alumni base.  Come here and make that money guys.  And oh yeah, we'll hopefully have someone at the helm who knows how to do something with your talent when you get here.

Tired of all these losers outside the program saying what should or should not be acceptable at IU.  Dolson, you were a damn Indiana guy when we won our last title.  He knows what this should be, hopefully he sacks up and does what needs done to get it back there.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, BADGERVOL said:

Love your list particularly since it has NO Alford.

I wouldn’t mind Travis Ford being added to this list. Being in the St. Louis area I get to see how Travis Ford acts in the community, hear him on the radio, and the recruits he’s gotten competing with Mizzou and Illinois when he’s clearly option 3 of those 3. He’s coached in a big conference before with some success and to me kinda has the same personality as Tom Allen on a smaller scale. I’m fact in one of videos he made he rolled down a freaking hill 😂😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I wouldn’t mind Travis Ford being added to this list. Being in the St. Louis area I get to see how Travis Ford acts in the community, hear him on the radio, and the recruits he’s gotten competing with Mizzou and Illinois when he’s clearly option 3 of those 3. He’s coached in a big conference before with some success and to me kinda has the same personality as Tom Allen on a smaller scale. I’m fact in one of videos he made he rolled down a freaking hill 😂😂😂

I would think that as a fUK alum that would never happen.

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Only UK player I’ve ever liked :)

Thad Matta - I know he's had health issues, but he is only 53 years old and has a 439-154 record.  He's had a few years off to get healthy and his daughter is at Butler.

Scott Drew- Baylor coach has Indiana ties (Butler & Valpo) and is currently only making $2.8 million/year. Is only 50 years old and is 356-209 overall and 10-6 in Tourney.

Chris Beard - Texas Tech coach and Bobby Knight ties is only 48 years old and is 109-52 overall and is 9-3 in the Tourney, he does have a salary of $4.6 million/year.

Gregg Marshall - Former Wichita State coach, age 58 and has a 525-104 overall record and 11-14 in tourney.  Last year at Wichita State was making $3.5 million/year

John Belein - Former West Virginia and Michigan coach, is 68 years old (negative) but owns a 977-407 overall record and is 26-13 in the tourney.

4 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Thad Matta - I know he's had health issues, but he is only 53 years old and has a 439-154 record.  He's had a few years off to get healthy and his daughter is at Butler.

Scott Drew- Baylor coach has Indiana ties (Butler & Valpo) and is currently only making $2.8 million/year. Is only 50 years old and is 356-209 overall and 10-6 in Tourney.

Chris Beard - Texas Tech coach and Bobby Knight ties is only 48 years old and is 109-52 overall and is 9-3 in the Tourney, he does have a salary of $4.6 million/year.

Gregg Marshall - Former Wichita State coach, age 58 and has a 525-104 overall record and 11-14 in tourney.  Last year at Wichita State was making $3.5 million/year

John Belein - Former West Virginia and Michigan coach, is 68 years old (negative) but owns a 977-407 overall record and is 26-13 in the tourney.

Welcome to the board

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Curious your take or anyone’s how would you rank these NOT as most likely but rather most likely to get us where we want to go? Aka win a Big Ten Title and get to a Final Four?

Welcome...

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

THIS.

He got in trouble for too many texts and phone calls.  Who gives a crap?  I did not give a crap about that with Sampson.  It was the team culture that was the problem there IMO.  The kids he brought in were not real high character guys in quite a few instances.

I expect our program to do whatever it is that Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., etc. do to get talent.  I want a guy who knows how to work those gray angles because when NLI hits, it is the wild west fellas.  And we are a program that should be really well situated to take advantage of that if we have anyone who has even the slightest clue of what they are doing down there.  It is finally taking advantage of the "delusional" fanbase that lives in the 1980's we all get accused of being by talking heads.  Yes, bleeping expect to be challenging for national titles on a regular basis because of the built in advantages we should have...."but so much competition..."  Yeah, you show me any other fanbase that would hold out for 20 freaking years waiting for things to get back on track and still be considered one of the most valuable programs with some of the highest attendance.  And that from a program that has missed the tournament as much as it has made it the past 20 years.

Get a guy who is going to get it done.  It is not cheating if everyone does it and the governing body looks the other way.  And before any of you get all holier than thou, none of you better speed when you are out driving.  If we are in a race and we are doing the speed limit when everyone else is doing 10 over and the cops don't care they are, then we are intentionally causing ourselves to lose.  

Jeff Goodman and Robbie Hummel can KMA about living in the 80's.  Losers think that way.  "You expect too much..."  Damn right I do you losers.  Why play the game if you don't expect to win?  "You have to compete with these other schools and you don't get the best kids in the state anymore..."  F that.  Things are the way they are because someone or someones that run this University made the decision for it to be that way.  Go win.  Go do what the NCAA has shown they do not care about.  Go sell your " delusional lunatic" fanbase as a positive when NLI drops.  We are not following football kids around like OSU and Michigan...not yet.  We have a gigantic alumni base.  Come here and make that money guys.  And oh yeah, we'll hopefully have someone at the helm who knows how to do something with your talent when you get here.

Tired of all these losers outside the program saying what should or should not be acceptable at IU.  Dolson, you were a damn Indiana guy when we won our last title.  He knows what this should be, hopefully he sacks up and does what needs done to get it back there.

Completely agree. If you're not excelling in the gray area in 2021 in college basketball then you're...well, you're IU the last 20 years. 

The coaches know who the players are in that world. The coaches know who excels at these things.

I want a coach who when he's hired the other coaches in the Big Ten who know these things go, "oh crap, the gravy train is over. Indiana is back!"

Like you, I dont care about phone calls and texts. I do care about the types of kids that Sampson brought in. But, give me a coach that can successfully navigate the gray area, while recruiting good kids that have talent and play hard, and IU will be back. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Travis Ford is interesting....

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. If you're not excelling in the gray area in 2021 in college basketball then you're...well, you're IU the last 20 years. 

The coaches know who the players are in that world. The coaches know who excels at these things.

I want a coach who when he's hired the other coaches in the Big Ten who know these things go, "oh crap, the gravy train is over. Indiana is back!"

Like you, I dont care about phone calls and texts. I do care about the types of kids that Sampson brought in. But, give me a coach that can successfully navigate the gray area, while recruiting good kids that have talent and play hard, and IU will be back. 

To me it depends what you mean by gray area if I am OK with it.  I don't want us getting families $500,000 houses or parents a job.

12 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Gregg Marshall got railroaded at WSU and should have been the hire at IU four years ago. IU doesn’t have the guts to hire him but he would lead us back to glory.

Marshall is done in college hoops and IU should feel damn lucky to dodge that bullet.

Marshall is a complete joke....

• Like 6

Well my Tier 1 is quite different: in no particular order

Mark Few (58)- Gonzaga only making 3.1 million (show him the $$)

Billy Donovan (56) - I know he's in year 1 with Bulls $6.0 mil/yr.

Thad Matta (53)  - State of Indiana ties, barring he's healthy

Brad Stevens (44) - We can dream can't we?

Tony Bennett (50) - $4.2 mil/yr. (Show him the $$)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Marshall is done in college hoops and IU should feel damn lucky to dodge that bullet.

Marshall is a complete joke....

Well we did hire Kevin Wilson.  He had a major drinking problem in addition to the abuse.  Arguably a lot worse than Marshall.  And at least Marshall is an elite coach.

Just now, NVFalcons12 said:

Few will never leave Gonzaga

Donovan no chance.

Matta if healthy is a good chance

Stevens no chance

Bennett has no reason to leave UVA where he has won a championship 

1 minute ago, NVFalcons12 said:

It’s the when hell freezes over list... :)

There is probably a 1% chance combined with coaches on that list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it depends what you mean by gray area if I am OK with it.  I don't want us getting families $500,000 houses or parents a job.

I don't know enough about how it works to know what the norm is for the Duke's, MSU's, UNC's, Kansas', OSU's, Michigan's of the world. 

But I'm in favor of the gray area, not blatant cheating. I'm in favor of IU's athletic department analyzing the rules the same way an NBA or NFL team analyzes the salary cap, to ensure they're taking advantage of every rule and loophole to put the best product on the floor as possible. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know enough about how it works to know what the norm is for the Duke's, MSU's, UNC's, Kansas', OSU's, Michigan's of the world. 

But I'm in favor of the gray area, not blatant cheating. I'm in favor of IU's athletic department analyzing the rules the same way an NBA or NFL team analyzes the salary cap, to ensure they're taking advantage of every rule and loophole to put the best product on the floor as possible. 

Absolutely I am. For sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well we did hire Kevin Wilson.  He had a major drinking problem in addition to the abuse.  Arguably a lot worse than Marshall.  And at least Marshall is an elite coach.

It’s not happening. Wilson was pretty much fired immediately when it was found out.

Being a little loose with “elite” description with Marshall. 20 years, 14 NCAA, 1 final four and 1 sweet 16? Crean had a better resume 

Edited by JugRox
  • Haha 1

Tier 2:

Tom Izzo(61) - Actually 1.a, but think he's a longshot $4 4 mil/yr .

Jay Wright(59) - 1.b, East coast guy and longshot; $4.4 mil/yr.

Scott Drew (50) - Baylor coach $2.8 mil/yr.; Butler/Valpo Ind ties

Chris Beard (48) - Texas Tech coach, RMK ties; $4.6 mil/yr.

John Belien (68) - Age a deterrent; proven winner 26-13 in Tourney