Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't see it either because IU won't attempt to do it

STOP RIGHT THERE. This is the crap I am talking about with this fan base.

Stevens was contacted last time and said "no thanks". FACT.

And he has probably already been contacted through back channels. 

Just because Stevens isnt the new coach, doesn't mean there wasn't an attempt.... jesus....

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's not just money. Do you think Tony Bennett is viewed as a GOD in Virginia.  Win a national championship at Indiana and you will be.  Crean was on cloud 9 with fans when he was ranked #1. Not everyone wants that but some do

But he has job security there and has proven you can win championships there.  There is no need for him to leave and come here and take a chance that he could lose his job in 5 years.  He can stay at UVA 20 years making 4 mil a year or he could come here on a 7 year contract at 6 mil a year.  In the long run he could make more money staying at UVA

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's not just money. Do you think Tony Bennett is viewed as a GOD in Virginia.  Win a national championship at Indiana and you will be.  Crean was on cloud 9 with fans when he was ranked #1. Not everyone wants that but some do

Research Bennett's sister coaching stint at IU and then we can continue this conversation....

FYI, he said "no" last time as well.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just watched the Goodman and Hummel podcast and they both thought IU should give Archie another year.  Both were talking about the fan base still thinking it is the 80's and college basketball is do different today.  They both thought that the 10 million buyout is to steep to fire him this year unless a big time donor steps up.  They both thought Minnesota will fire Pitino or that Pitino should look at other jobs

Did they give any reason to keep him other than the buyout? Recruiting is slipping, the last few games have been disastrous, the best player is likely leaving, and other players will likely transfer. 

I’d be all for giving him another year if there was anything that seemed to be going in the right direction. 

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Just because Stevens isnt the new coach, doesn't mean there wasn't an attempt.... jesus....

This guy

5 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

This does not sound like he was going to get fired. In fact, the Dolphins were pissed that he left them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/sports/ncaafootball/04saban.html

Saban accepted the head coaching position for the Miami Dolphins on December 25, 2004. He was the sixth coach in the franchise's history. The Nick Saban era officially kicked off with a 34–10 win over the Denver Broncos in 2005. From there, however, the Dolphins struggled, losing seven of their next nine games to fall to 3–7. The two wins came over the Carolina Panthers and the New Orleans Saints, a game that took place in Tiger Stadium due to Hurricane Katrina. After a frustrating two months, however, the Dolphins would rally late in the season, as they won their final six games, including a win to end the season in Foxboro, Massachusetts over the New England Patriots. The team finished the year with a 9–7 record, and narrowly missed the playoffs in Saban's first season.

Going into the 2006 season, the Dolphins were expected to contend for a playoff spot. The season, however, turned out to be a major disappointment. The Dolphins were considering quarterback Drew Brees, who had just been released from the San Diego Chargers due to a career-threatening shoulder injury and subsequent contract dispute, but instead signed Daunte Culpepper, who was still recovering from a knee injury from the previous season. Culpepper never fully recovered and was ultimately benched after the fourth game of the season, when the Dolphins lost to the Houston Texans. He was eventually put on injured reserve. After starting the season 1–6, however, the Dolphins got hot. They won four straight games, including wins over the Chicago Bears, who were previously unbeaten and made it to the Super Bowl that year, and the Kansas City Chiefs. Suddenly, the Dolphins were back in the playoff hunt at 5–6, but a 24–10 loss the following week to the Jacksonville Jaguars all but ended their playoff hopes. The Dolphins would rebound the following week with a 21–0 win over the New England Patriots. The win would be the last bright spot for the Dolphins in the 2006 season. Quarterback Joey Harrington was eventually benched in favor of third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon. While the defense was very good, the offense was anemic, with the only bright spot being running back Ronnie Brown, who gained over 1,000 rushing yards on the season. The Dolphins would lose their next two games to the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets to finish 6–10, Saban's first losing season as a head coach.

Nah, Saban was killing it.....

He got out before he was going to get fired.

7 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Did they give any reason to keep him other than the buyout? Recruiting is slipping, the last few games have been disastrous, the best player is likely leaving, and other players will likely transfer. 

I’d be all for giving him another year if there was anything that seemed to be going in the right direction. 

Hummel said results wise he should go but the buyout is way to high to justify letting him go.  It is said the athletic department is like 40 mil in the hole

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Saban accepted the head coaching position for the Miami Dolphins on December 25, 2004. He was the sixth coach in the franchise's history. The Nick Saban era officially kicked off with a 34–10 win over the Denver Broncos in 2005. From there, however, the Dolphins struggled, losing seven of their next nine games to fall to 3–7. The two wins came over the Carolina Panthers and the New Orleans Saints, a game that took place in Tiger Stadium due to Hurricane Katrina. After a frustrating two months, however, the Dolphins would rally late in the season, as they won their final six games, including a win to end the season in Foxboro, Massachusetts over the New England Patriots. The team finished the year with a 9–7 record, and narrowly missed the playoffs in Saban's first season.

Going into the 2006 season, the Dolphins were expected to contend for a playoff spot. The season, however, turned out to be a major disappointment. The Dolphins were considering quarterback Drew Brees, who had just been released from the San Diego Chargers due to a career-threatening shoulder injury and subsequent contract dispute, but instead signed Daunte Culpepper, who was still recovering from a knee injury from the previous season. Culpepper never fully recovered and was ultimately benched after the fourth game of the season, when the Dolphins lost to the Houston Texans. He was eventually put on injured reserve. After starting the season 1–6, however, the Dolphins got hot. They won four straight games, including wins over the Chicago Bears, who were previously unbeaten and made it to the Super Bowl that year, and the Kansas City Chiefs. Suddenly, the Dolphins were back in the playoff hunt at 5–6, but a 24–10 loss the following week to the Jacksonville Jaguars all but ended their playoff hopes. The Dolphins would rebound the following week with a 21–0 win over the New England Patriots. The win would be the last bright spot for the Dolphins in the 2006 season. Quarterback Joey Harrington was eventually benched in favor of third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon. While the defense was very good, the offense was anemic, with the only bright spot being running back Ronnie Brown, who gained over 1,000 rushing yards on the season. The Dolphins would lose their next two games to the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets to finish 6–10, Saban's first losing season as a head coach.

Nah, Saban was killing it.....

He got out before he was going to get fired.

Nobody said he was killing it. But he was not on the verge of getting fired either. 

I'm quoting the New York Times

Your quoting wikipedia.

No one knows what Stevens' mindset is right now. Four years ago he was in a very different place with the Celtics than he is today. It's entirely possible that the opportunity to return home would be much more attractive now than it was in 2017. It's also entirely possible that he really would prefer to stay in the NBA, even if he gets let go by Boston. Outside of those in his inner circle, no one has any clue what he's currently thinking.

Of course, at the end of the day, the odds are he won't be the next coach at IU. But as others have noted, if there was ever any chance of it happening, the stars do currently seem to be aligning to make it happen.

Just now, Sea Turtle said:

Nobody said he was killing it. But he was not on the verge of getting fired either. 

I'm quoting the New York Times

Your quoting wikipedia.

New York Times vs Wikipedia.... lol One is trying to sell something and one goes off donations.... sure... 

Yes, the Dolphins were very upset that the coach that led them to a major disappointment 6-10 season left the team. You serious Clark?

They were more upset about the timing and how Saban handled the situation. 

Saban knew it was only a matter of time and got out. 

30 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Now the question is what kind of feeler was it?

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I said you ask but we all know what the answer.  I know we don't like to hear this as a fan base but the national viewpoint of us is not good.  Everybody I listen to days IU still thinks of themselves of being elite but they need to take a hard look at where they are.  Anytime people bring Stevens for this job the national media just laughs

Did they laugh at the notion of Alabama hiring Nick Saban?

Honestly, journalists like that are kind of losers.  "Ha ha, you need to accept your lot in life now...you haven't been good for awhile so lower those expectations to be a little more realistic, like just making a tournament 80% of the time."

Funny.  Why don't they say that about Kentucky?  Or UNC?  Or Kansas?  "Well they have just historically done better lately."  Yeah they have, because we didn't even try.  Let them laugh and write their stories, you need someone with vision that can see what this was and what it should be.  "Kids don't want to play here, you are stuck in the 80's."

Cool, so you guys that don't want to cheat, let's talk about some non-cheat things we can do to get in the modern era.  Names on the back of the uniforms.  Update the band's attire.  Update the music played in the Hall.  "We're not gonna take it" was a 13 year old song when I started at IU in 1997.  It is now almost a 40 year old song.  Have some alternate jerseys.  Reduce the student tickets and move them down to the bleachers.  We have a box now for the big donors.  Open things up for new grads to start earning points in the balcony or make then available to the general public because the students won't come.

Then you have to win some games.  Get a guy in here who will get players and who can win.  Players are going to get paid soon, you hook your players up with Ken Nunn to do PI Lawyer commercials.  You get those IU sponsors to drop a few thousand in advertising that is "Hi, this is Trayce Jackson Davis for your Indiana Hoosiers, after tonight's game, stop in at Mother Bears pizza for a slice of Bloomington's finest."  I believe Andy Mohr is a donor.  Hey Andy, haven't seen McKinzie Roth on your commercials lately, how about some IU players?

There are ways to get it done here.

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Now the question is what kind of feeler was it?

“Hey Brad...wanna coach IU?”

”No thank you I’ll pass.”

OR

”Brad, here’s a check for $100,000 for you to have an all expense paid weekend with your wife and kids to Btown to sit down and listen to a vision as to how we’d like to give you the keys to our program.”

If we roll out a five star recruiting effort for Brad Stevens with an offer of a Brinks truck and he’s not interested...then I shake his hand and say “Thanks for your time.”

Just now, IUFLA said:

You all know I'm not in favor of a coaching change at this time...

But if we did, I'd try to pry Fred Hoiberg away from Nebraska...

I see him going back to Iowa St. If they have an opening.  You want a guy who has won like 3 conference games in two years

Archived