Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wait a minute...How's he stating fact?

I said Fred Hoiberg would be a good hire IF we decide to go that route. He had Iowa State, the Big 12's version of Northwestern, making the NCAA tournament 4 out of his 5 years there, and winning 2 conference tournament championships. Anyone who knows anything about coaching will tell you he's a great coach. I cited one (Kerr) but I'll dig up more if you want...

Ah, the good old personal attack...

No need to feel sorry...they're all quite happy...

Now you know how it feels with the way you treat people. You may not give personal attacks but you’re definitely not what this board is intended to be about. You can respond but this will be my last time responding yo you as I don’t want to take this board off topic anymore than I already have. 

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

Now you know how it feels with the way you treat people. You may not give personal attacks but you’re definitely not what this board is intended to be about. You can respond but this will be my last time responding yo you as I don’t want to take this board off topic anymore than I already have. 

So if I don't follow the crowd and say I want Archie fired I'm not worthy of this board? If I express an opinion contrary to the group think that goes on here, I'm not what this board is about?

Amazing...I don't personally attack anyone on this board, yet you want to somehow diminish my professional life...well, good luck with that...

I only take exception when I see something that's patently false, misleading, or unfair...

If that is somehow wrong to you, I don't know what to say...

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

This is Hoibergs record since Iowa St. 

2D7B378F-4D27-4F06-BC6C-A72145DC20AD.png

2259F9CE-A37D-4E57-8EF8-47B28E3D828A.png

And? In the NBA you win with talent...he didn't have any...

Give him another year or 2 at Nebraska...right now he's coaching a bunch of college basketball vagabonds, but he's already got the first 5 star recruit in the schools basketball history on the way...

I guarantee you he'll have them being a factor before too long...

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

This is Archie’s record in the same time frame... not including his time before 2015. 

40216DEF-8F9F-4C2C-AFDF-DA6194F5E316.png

Not sure of your point here...Iowa State is in a P6 conference and a good one...it  isn't Dayton...he's proven himself at a high level...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He was put in a bad spot in Nebraska...pretty much the same thing Crean faced here...

But he had a .673 winning percentage at Iowa State...and they aren't a traditional power house...

The guy can coach...

I just wanted to apologize to you and everyone else because I have not been a good poster lately.  My tone had not been very good and have come off being to angry.  Not to excuse anything but I think the impact of this whole year has worn me out.  Between having the virus twice and losing.my.job to the pandemic it has just broken me.  So maybe it would be better not to post for awhile

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He was put in a bad spot in Nebraska...pretty much the same thing Crean faced here...

But he had a .673 winning percentage at Iowa State...and they aren't a traditional power house...

The guy can coach...

I just wanted to apologize to you and everyone else because I have not been a good poster lately.  My tone had not been very good and have come off being to angry.  Not to excuse anything but I think the impact of this whole year has worn me out.  Between having the virus twice and losing.my.job to the pandemic it has just broken me.  So maybe it would be better not to post for awhile

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The guy can coach...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The guy can coach...

Just now, IU Scott said:

It's ok...don't do that. 

The 3 things anybody who really know me will tell you is, I'm honest, straightforward and stubborn...

Seems I've rubbed a few the wrong way, and if that's the case, I'll apologize as well...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's ok...don't do that. 

The 3 things anybody who really know me will tell you is, I'm honest, straightforward and stubborn...

Seems I've rubbed a few the wrong way, and if that's the case, I'll apologize as well...

Thanks, but there is no excuse to lash out at you especially since I was just like you the last 3 years.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Then what are you saying here? Are you agreeing with Kerr in saying that he's a great coach?

Funny way of putting it I guess...

Let me help y’all, Kerr believes in Hoilberg, him liking a few of his sets doesn’t translate to the end all be all in college coaching, I understand that’s the hill you have chosen. I recall a few of his teams , think he’s the transfers king before it became an epidemic, that being said I’d love to see us really swing for the fences and pay out big to restore what once was a great program. If Smart or Hoilberg are our choices - I’d roll with Archie another year and see if he’s a K and something will click and it becomes magical. Keith Smart hit a sweet J and me and brother ran around the living room screaming and jumping on the couch, if him or Fred are our big hire I’d roll my damn eyes and get drunk, finally realizing Brand has throughly jinxed our damn program and we aren’t coming back- I’ll say again- dig him up and put him another 6 foot deeper, I hate being so gross, but that dude made a deal with Coach Knight that was impossible and I’ll frankly never forget or forgive. What could have been if our beloved coach could have softened a touch. History 

6 hours ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

One thing I learned REALLY fast is that I had to block both Scott & IUFLA. The board has been exceptionally more pleasant. 

i have never blocked anyone, but this makes a lot of sense.  they wore me down, but it is somewhat entertaining to watch them argue now.  it's kind of a clash of he titans!  i'm actually cheering for Scott!

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's ok...don't do that. 

Now dammit FLA, I can't leave you by yourself for a few hours?  Geez.  LOL

32 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have never blocked anyone, but this makes a lot of sense.  they wore me down, but it is somewhat entertaining to watch them argue now.  it's kind of a clash of he titans!  i'm actually cheering for Scott!

(In my Scott voice) If it were me, I would be cheering for me as well.  LOL.

12 hours ago, JugRox said:

STOP RIGHT THERE. This is the crap I am talking about with this fan base.

Stevens was contacted last time and said "no thanks". FACT.

And he has probably already been contacted through back channels. 

Just because Stevens isnt the new coach, doesn't mean there wasn't an attempt.... jesus....

Calm down. Attempt to make an offer they can't refuse.  There is a HUGE difference between making an attempt and going out and getting your guy. Thank you for the insight,  many of us understand he was contacted.  

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

But he has job security there and has proven you can win championships there.  There is no need for him to leave and come here and take a chance that he could lose his job in 5 years.  He can stay at UVA 20 years making 4 mil a year or he could come here on a 7 year contract at 6 mil a year.  In the long run he could make more money staying at UVA

Because Scott knows what drives Tony Bennett.  

12 hours ago, JugRox said:

Research Bennett's sister coaching stint at IU and then we can continue this conversation....

FYI, he said "no" last time as well.

Bennett waa just an example it could have been any of them.  I chose Bennett because he recently won a title. I know the situation with his sister. A elder in my church was very close with her and our minister was IU Chaplin for men's and women. Correct Bennett would not come more than likely 

I’m not a fan of Hoiberg, probably because I’m a fan of the Bulls. I think he would be a square peg in a round hole here because we value accountability. There’s a misconception that he didn’t have talent on the Bulls. He had talent (one of the best players in the NBA) and veterans, but he drove them away. I’m not sure what type of spell he had over the front office (or more likely, the front office is just stupid) but they chose Hoi ball (shooting a crap ton of 3s with no accountability on defense) over Jimmy Butler.  Like or hate Jimmy Butler...you need to keep talent in the NBA. Case and point; see Miami. 

.....JMHO, and I didn’t follow him at Iowa St.

Bigger picture, I don’t want a coach who greatly values one end of the court over the other. We went from one extreme in Crean and his ‘out shoot them offense’ to CAM’s ‘everything revolves around the pack line’ defense. I don’t want to go back to another extreme, which is what I think Hoiberg would be - the second coming of Crean. There have to be coaches out there who are more balanced. 

52 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m not a fan of Hoiberg, probably because I’m a fan of the Bulls. I think he would be a square peg in a round hole here because we value accountability. There’s a misconception that he didn’t have talent on the Bulls. He had talent (one of the best players in the NBA) and veterans, but he drove them away. I’m not sure what type of spell he had over the front office (or more likely, the front office is just stupid) but they chose Hoi ball (shooting a crap ton of 3s with no accountability on defense) over Jimmy Butler.  Like or hate Jimmy Butler...you need to keep talent in the NBA. Case and point; see Miami. 

.....JMHO, and I didn’t follow him at Iowa St.

Bigger picture, I don’t want a coach who greatly values one end of the court over the other. We went from one extreme in Crean and his ‘out shoot them offense’ to CAM’s ‘everything revolves around the pack line’ defense. I don’t want to go back to another extreme, which is what I think Hoiberg would be - the second coming of Crean. There have to be coaches out there who are more balanced. 

Meh, I don't give a rat's arsz what the coach's philosophy is.  I want W's and a helluva a lot of them.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Calm down. Attempt to make an offer they can't refuse.  There is a HUGE difference between making an attempt and going out and getting your guy. Thank you for the insight,  many of us understand he was contacted.  

Sorry, I got family members that are hard to talk to about the Stevens thing.   :)

To your point, if Dolson is not reaching out right to Stevens right now just to keep contact with him, he should be fired. 

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, I don't give a rat's arsz what the coach's philosophy is.  I want W's and a helluva a lot of them.

I think we are saying the same thing but in different ways. Theoretically, a coach who gets most of the boxes checked will get W's. My jaded side says I don't want somebody who only checks half of the boxes, even if that half is something he does really well.  You can't have a coach in this conference with any glaring weaknesses, because in this conference those weaknesses get exposed quickly. 

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Sorry, I got family members that are hard to talk to about the Stevens thing.   :)

To your point, if Dolson is not reaching out right to Stevens right now just to keep contact with him, he should be fired. 

Exactly.  A guy I coached with many years ago was an assistant for Brad he gives me a little nugget now and then. 

No harm no foul.  We are all just a bunch of frustrated IU fans

Archived