Potential replacement coaches

31 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Disagree completely. I believe you are looking at this as “how successful have the teams on this list been vs IU, therefore they’re more attractive.”

Thats an oversimplification. If that was the case then teams like Bama were a dumpster to go to but lured a great coach. Why?

Because places like IU basketball and Bama FB have things at their core other programs don’t.

things like...

fanbases, national appeal name recognition, history, extremely fertile recruiting grounds, boosters that can get motivated to pony up, the chance to have name recognition historically in all of NCAAB...

If you take a program like Gonzaga and IU (for example) and God forbid Few was killed in a car wreck, and both jobs were open...I ASSURE YOU more candidates would want IU than Gonzaga and it wouldn’t even be close.

Like Archie even said when he took IU, that his brother told him not to leave for a program he couldn’t win it all at. That list isn’t HUGE.

Is IU what it used to be? No. But it is way more of a sleeping giant in the eyes of coaches than many realize. 

The day IU gets a dynamic coach the HS coach’s believe in, we will all see what I’m saying as far as recruiting. 

Again, missing the point....

Does Mark Few need Indiana because Gonzaga can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Does Bennett need Indiana because Virginia can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Does Beard need Indiana because Texas Tech can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Sure, some random mid major coach? Some mid tier level coach? OK.

An elite coach that can take the program to elite status? No.

IU cannot attract an elite coach away from their current position because IU has no advantages where they currently are.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Scott Drew seems to be a viable option. He could say no, but it would be absolutely dumb if Dolson doesn't reach out. Drew lived in Indiana, so he knows the value of being an IU coach. While IU has been down for most of 2 decades, it's still a sleeping giant. Simply speaking, success at Baylor is not even comparable to success at Indiana. There are many good programs other than bluebloods, but many coaches are still willing to take the blueblood jobs because they know the ceilings of bluebloods are much higher than others. 

I think at this point it would take a special, very ambitious coach to seriously consider IU job. We'll see how ambitious Drew is. He's been there for 18 years, so maybe it's time to change the scenery. 

I think Drew's faith will keep him at Baylor which is a faith base University.

23 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I would say “yes if...”

My only caveat is our Administration. IF the right coach who could do it doesn’t think the administration is all in, then that candidate won’t take it.

And that is a HUGE doubt for me as a fan.

Me too.  That is why I was saying we could be that if the right people supported it.  The problem we have is an administration who wants to "win" but has no plan to win.  They are also indecisive when ot comes to the program.

For instance, they get rid of Knight and have no plan for a replacement.  They pick an interim with no prior experience and after a decent year gave him the keys to the car.  Davis himself would tell you he wasn't ready.  There were people interested at the time in that job who would have done better.

So Davis does not work out and they go a route with a guy who was known to be a little shady.  They bring him in and "shocked face", he does some shady stuff.  Well no crap, that is what you hired.  Then they catch him and throw him under the bus.  "We're too good for that!"  No you are not.  You hired that.  Then you did not like the PR hit you did not see coming and you dumped him.  UNC and UK are not dumping a winner for phone calls and the kids they would just say to bounce a troublemaker or two to get the rest in line.

So then we go and get a weird personality for a school that doesn't want the coach garnering a bunch of attention and being an issue for the AD.  Then he goes and does weird stuff and doesn't win enough to cover for it.

Then for a program losing momentum and energy, you bring in a guy who is a stick in the mud, wallflower from a personality standpoint.  He has a boring style...and he wins less than the last guy.

It is clear that the people running the school don't have a vision.  They are the underpants gnomes from South Park.  They know to hire a guy and they know the end results they want is profits.  They haven't figured out the in between.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-ad-scott-dolson-talks-iu-basketball-with-aj-guyton

Apologies if this has already been posted but AJ Guyton briefly interviewed Dolson recently. Basically said “I want the same things the fans do”. Kinda had a generic AD reply but at least he didn’t say he fully supports Archie and the future with him as coach. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-ad-scott-dolson-talks-iu-basketball-with-aj-guyton

Apologies if this has already been posted but AJ Guyton briefly interviewed Dolson recently. Basically said “I want the same things the fans do”. Kinda had a generic AD reply but at least he didn’t say he fully supports Archie and the future with him as coach. 

The quotes in that article could not make it anymore clear that winning is NOT the top priority.  Nothing is going to change.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

His faith is going to keep him there because he's a strong Christian.   But you're also convinced he's dirty.

200w.gif

Well speaking as a Christian we would be the first to say we are just no good rotten sinners first and foremost. Being a Christian doesn’t somehow make us better or incapable of sinning for certain. We may strive to live better but we most certainly fail but hopefully we repent and try to turn away from those sins and strive to follow Gods word. You may see some Christians walking around acting like they are above everyone but I’d be the first to call out their hypocrisy and let you know that is not how a Christian following Gods word would act or think.

All that said yes it is too funny that Scott tries to play both sides the fence....anything to justify his assumption no great coach would ever come to IU. Let’s just leave it up to the AD and the coach to decide why someone would and wouldn’t come here. Just like we all disagree on here all the time nobody knows what a great coach is motivated by or thinks. Taking on the challenge, leading a true blue blood program might just be what they have dreamed of. There are still tons of good reasons to coach Indiana University...I’m sure our AD will point those out.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

"From my perspective, I think it's important for the fans to understand that I want the same things they do. I want it all. I want it academically, I want our kids to have the support and develop in every way, shape and form from a personal standpoint, and then I want to win. I talk about winning, and I want to win in everything, including basketball, but in everything. 

So, we'll continue to work at it and continue to draw what we can, you know I've got the same high expectations everybody does. I think that's sometimes what the challenge is that when there is frustration, people think, 'Do they care? Is winning important?' And it is, but at the same time, there's a process and we got to make sure we do all the things the right way to ultimately get to where we wanna go."

Meh.  This sounds like laying the groundwork for Miller year 5.  If it doesn't work out, Dolson should get fired along with Miller.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

"From my perspective, I think it's important for the fans to understand that I want the same things they do. I want it all. I want it academically, I want our kids to have the support and develop in every way, shape and form from a personal standpoint, and then I want to win. I talk about winning, and I want to win in everything, including basketball, but in everything. 

So, we'll continue to work at it and continue to draw what we can, you know I've got the same high expectations everybody does. I think that's sometimes what the challenge is that when there is frustration, people think, 'Do they care? Is winning important?' And it is, but at the same time, there's a process and we got to make sure we do all the things the right way to ultimately get to where we wanna go."

Meh.  This sounds like laying the groundwork for Miller year 5.  If it doesn't work out, Dolson should get fired along with Miller.

I don't see it that way.  Fred came out and gave a Crean a ringing endorsement a year before firing him.  This isn't that.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

I don't see it that way.  Fred came out and gave a Crean a ringing endorsement a year before firing him.  This isn't that.

Guess we will see.  After the past 20 years I have no faith in the people who run IU.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.

37 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Again, missing the point....

Does Mark Few need Indiana because Gonzaga can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Does Bennett need Indiana because Virginia can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Does Beard need Indiana because Texas Tech can't get him where he wants to go? No.

Sure, some random mid major coach? Some mid tier level coach? OK.

An elite coach that can take the program to elite status? No.

IU cannot attract an elite coach away from their current position because IU has no advantages where they currently are.

How do you know where those coaches want to go? If they just want to win a lot of games and maybe a title, sure, they can probably do that at their current job. 

If they want to be a legend, I'm not sure that any of those guys can do that at their current school. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I can't draw any hunch or conclusion from this interview. Dolson said what he had to say like a shrewd politician. He's politically correct, which I don't always appreciate. But as one of the leaders in IU athletics, he stayed within the boundary and didn't stir the pot.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So it wasn't just me getting those vibes.  

I really don’t think it could be any worse of a statement.

Starts off by trotting out the “they’re just kids” BS and blaming the fans for being pissed that the program sucks.

Then says the priorities are 1) academics, 2) making sure the players are “supported” (whatever that means), and “then” 3) winning.

Finishes it off by saying: “people think, 'Do they care? Is winning important?' And it is, BUT . . . we got to make sure we do all the things the right way . . . .”

Really a perfect summary of the university’s loser mentality when it comes to the basketball program.  Pathetic.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

How do you know where those coaches want to go? If they just want to win a lot of games and maybe a title, sure, they can probably do that at their current job. 

If they want to be a legend, I'm not sure that any of those guys can do that at their current school. 

“Want to be a legend”? To who? You? 

pretty sure Few is a legend without IU. lol

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Guess we will see.  After the past 20 years I have no faith in the people who run IU.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.

Believe me I wouldn't trust any of these clowns to run a lemonade stand.  But you never telegraph your moves. There is still some season left.   And also, Fred's hand was forced in firing Crean. Who's to say that won't happen again or that Archie decides to get out in front of the mob and leave?  They're definitely coming. 

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Whoever made this was a genius. Can he do the same thing for Archie?

You see, if IU basketball doesn't and can't give us joy and happiness, we gotta actively pursue.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Believe me I wouldn't trust any of these clowns to run a lemonade stand.  But you never telegraph your moves. There is still some season left.   And also, Fred's hand was forced in firing Crean. Who's to say that won't happen again or that Archie decides to get out in front of the mob and leave?  They're definitely coming. 

The problem with having your hand forced is it means you have no plan.  And then you end up with Archie Miller because he is the next big thing.  

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you'd be in the minority calling Few a legend.

Few a legend? I'm with you. Haha....ok. He's been bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of tourney 11x over the last 20 years when he won his conference.

Few to me is a good coach that made a decision not to get into the big leagues. Win 30 games a year. Zero expectations in a weak conference and go fly fishing. All in all not a bad life but legend? Haha.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Few is easily in the Hall of Fame...easily.

WTF does he care what some fan base in Indiana thinks? lol

Who cares about Mark Few?  Seriously, what does Indiana offer...all the stuff that got listed that you say can be had elsewhere.  Ok, I don't agree that every other place has our built in advantages, but say they do.  So say you get someone who maybe needs a little more coaxing...you open the checkbook.

You have to have a plan and sell the plan though.  Like you don't call a guy and say "are you interested" that's a waste because, no, that does not give them a reason to leave.  You call and say, "This is how I think you fit, these are the resources I can provide outside a paycheck, and this is what I can pay."  If you get a response back that is negative, you follow up and ask what is keeping them from doing the deal.  Sometimes that is something you have an impact on and sometimes it is not.

But you have to have a plan and a list of targets.  And you have to know the value of each guy you are offering.  That is how Ohio State got Holtmann.  He said no, but they figured out if that was a hard or a soft no and reacted accordingly.

Archived