Potential replacement coaches

On 3/1/2021 at 2:46 PM, Hoosierdave said:

Exactly, idk why people are so hung up over the cheating...look at the best coaches in CBB... Coach K (Zion bribes), Cal (Derick Rose SAT scores, UMass point shaving), Izzo (sexual assault culture), Coach Self (bribes), Coach’s Williams (fake classes), Pitino (bribes, hookers).

I said with my list I think the only 2 realistic chances at hiring a coach on the market that is capable of getting IU back is Rick Pitino and John Beilein. I can’t see our administration having the courage to hire Rick, so I think Coach B is really the only guy. Not a bad choice if you ask me tho haha

I truly think this staff got lucky and the FBI prob ended before we got caught up in it. Telling the Adidas guy we would do anything to get involved with the kid in Fla.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Scott Drew and Baylor about to win the Big 12 title

The guy can coach...He is losing his stating 5 at the end of this season. Wants to coach at a basketball school, unhappy with crowd support. He is only 50. Time to move if he is the guy. A lot of turnover needed, not much talent on this team.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If Sampson was still the coach, who knows would we be at. I think when he was fired, he was at like 23-3 in his 2nd year and a couple of games winning the Big 10 

We would have missed a couple of tournaments due to bad APR scores, but might have hung a banner or 2.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If Sampson was still the coach, who knows would we be at. I think when he was fired, he was at like 23-3 in his 2nd year and a couple of games winning the Big 10 

Sampson was either 17 or 18 and 1. We were a top 5 program, headed for big things when his fate was brought to light. 

Just now, Indykev said:

The dude can flat out coach and recruit. He would have killed it here.

If I had to speculate, he would probably be around the 330-110 record(0.75) 

5+ Big Ten Titles(mixture of BTT) 

and solid tournament runs, hell, in his first season he was like 4 points shy of going to the S16!

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The guy can coach...He is losing his stating 5 at the end of this season. Wants to coach at a basketball school, unhappy with crowd support. He is only 50. Time to move if he is the guy. A lot of turnover needed, not much talent on this team.

Stevens, Donovan, Bennett, Beard, Oates & Few are probably pipe dreams.  I think Scott Drew (my personal favorite to bring in) is the guy to target followed by Thad Matta, John Beilein, Musselman, Altman & Pitino (yeah, i said it, +20 years of mediocrity has pushed me over the edge).  As long as the administration doesn't **** it up, don't see how they miss on all those targets.

The IU administration hates the IU athletic department.  At this point so many people need to be shown the door. We are about to experience post Sampson again.  Honestly wish Sampson was still here. Great coach who got screwed over phone calls and text messages. Ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I think his losses came from a great Xavier team by 3, somewhat remember that game. 2 by Wisconsin in close ones and UConn?

Good memory. I had to look it up. Losses to Xavier and Wisconsin which weren't close. 5 point loss to UConn and a 2 point loss to Wisconsin.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The IU administration hates the IU athletic department.  At this point so many people need to be shown the door. We are about to experience post Sampson again.  Honestly wish Sampson was still here. Great coach who got screwed over phone calls and text messages. Ridiculous.  

How do you explain a top 10 women's team in basketball. a top 10 football team. a top soccer program. as well as a top 20 baseball program.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Too bad once the allegations hit, his days were numbered according to the sources during 2007. However, there were rumors of drug use, but I think I will end that there, since nothing was ever confirmed.

I don't think Matta would come because he is friends with Archie...

I don't think Beilein would want to coach in the Big ten...

I think that Scott Drew might consider the job and I would be okay with the hire, especially now that he has abandoned that porous 3-2 defense...

Alford seems like the most likely hire at this point, and I guess we would just have to hope that it was just kind of a perfect match and he would hit on all cylinders...

I would personally prefer Fife with a staff that had Michael Lewis and Calbert Cheaney on it...Fife has a great personality and brings both grit and sense of humor...Listing the coaches that bench would have been around is impressive (Knight, Izzo, Stevens, Miles, Cronin, Crews...NBA, G League, College)

I could be happy with Musselman or Oats...

We live in a world where perception has undue influence over reality and losing momentum in your program is hard to recover from...I think Archie is probably a pretty good coach but has certainly lost all momentum and probably as a coach he would benefit from a restart...I think at his next stop he will recruit all motor and IQ and find that he needs a team with a certain personality...I imagine he'll win at a major school some day  

1 minute ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Stevens, Donovan, Bennett, Beard, Oates & Few are probably pipe dreams.  I think Scott Drew (my personal favorite to bring in) is the guy to target followed by Thad Matta, John Beilein, Musselman, Altman & Pitino (yeah, i said it, +20 years of mediocrity has pushed me over the edge).  As long as the administration doesn't **** it up, don't see how they miss on all those targets.

I will take any of those names listed, even Matta who i think is a bad x and o's guy. I only say that about Matta because I had first row tickets for the B10 tournament one year ( thank you Under Armor) And Matta was so lost trying to draw a play the assistant had to take the clipboard from him and start over.

If this Admin makes a change, which they won't, Beilein is their speed.

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

McRobbie is gone in June. Thank god.

Archived