Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I don't think Matta would come because he is friends with Archie...

I don't think Beilein would want to coach in the Big ten...

I think that Scott Drew might consider the job and I would be okay with the hire, especially now that he has abandoned that porous 3-2 defense...

Alford seems like the most likely hire at this point, and I guess we would just have to hope that it was just kind of a perfect match and he would hit on all cylinders...

I would personally prefer Fife with a staff that had Michael Lewis and Calbert Cheaney on it...Fife has a great personality and brings both grit and sense of humor...Listing the coaches that bench would have been around is impressive (Knight, Izzo, Stevens, Miles, Cronin, Crews...NBA, G League, College)

I could be happy with Musselman or Oats...

We live in a world where perception has undue influence over reality and losing momentum in your program is hard to recover from...I think Archie is probably a pretty good coach but has certainly lost all momentum and probably as a coach he would benefit from a restart...I think at his next stop he will recruit all motor and IQ and find that he needs a team with a certain personality...I imagine he'll win at a major school some day  

Beilein was just on the B10 network the other day and said he wanted to coach again.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Indykev said:

Beilein was just on the B10 network the other day and said he wanted to coach again.

I believe it, I just think that he would be averse to coaching against Michigan, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe he would feel that knowing the league would be an advantage to his restart...

If we could get him and design some kind of coach in waiting with Fife, I'd be up for it...

Just now, mchenry34 said:

I believe it, I just think that he would be averse to coaching against Michigan, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe he would feel that knowing the league would be an advantage to his restart...

If we could get him and design some kind of coach in waiting with Fife, I'd be up for it...

Someone said he is teaching a class at UM so maybe you are right.  I want Fife to go somewhere else and learn to be the man before coming to IU. Go be a head coach. Just because you sit on a bench doesnt mean you can run a program.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How do you explain a top 10 women's team in basketball. a top 10 football team. a top soccer program. as well as a top 20 baseball program.

Because those programs at IU have no notoriety and are an afterthought.  I agree it's an assumption but as far as I can tell they actively undermine the basketball program.  Let's be real, IU is known for basketball and some academics but that's about it. 

Revenge of the nerds has cut the legs out from under our program.  

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Because those programs at IU have no notoriety and are an afterthought.  I agree it's an assumption but as far as I can tell they actively undermine the basketball program.  Let's be real, IU is known for basketball and some academics but that's about it. 

Revenge of the nerds has cut the legs out from under our program.  

Could you elaborate on the “they actively undermine the basketball program”? I’m asking because I read similar posts that the administration is virtually sabotaging Archie but don’t know what that specifically means. 

20 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Could you elaborate on the “they actively undermine the basketball program”? I’m asking because I read similar posts that the administration is virtually sabotaging Archie but don’t know what that specifically means. 

@dbmhoosier can elaborate possibly more, but goes back to the compliance dept. and how they would rather snitch than help navigate the rules. 

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Fall of Fame and LEGEND are not even in the same galaxy 

lol

you guys are hilarious....

You win. IU is the only school along with UK, UNC, Duke, and Kansas that makes a coach a “legend”. Now, can we come back from 1987 and find a new coach?

2 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I’m assuming Few needs to win a few more big games, Final 4 games, he’s been great but far from legendary in my opinion.

Gonzaga doesn't don't get battle tested during the conference season. In defense of Few, it's hard to prepare your team for those dog fights when your toughest game after December is typically against St. Mary. 

8 hours ago, IU878176 said:

When Knight was fired, the administration decided that academics would become more important than athletics.  They didn't want another coach to have as much power as Knight did.

So, money was taken out of the athletic department and put into other things. Facilities started to fall way behind. The ability to bring in transfers was difficult. Best way someone put it was, in the 1980s, IU was a Ferrari. In the 2000s, because of lack of money being invested, it was still just a 1980s Ferrari. 

Glass started to change that a little bit but until McRobbie is gone (June), we wont really know for sure how bad it was.

12 minutes ago, JugRox said:

lol

you guys are hilarious....

You win. IU is the only school along with UK, UNC, Duke, and Kansas that makes a coach a “legend”. Now, can we come back from 1987 and find a new coach?

Maybe in today's participation awards for everyone world we live in legends come easy. Just go watch the Few interview Scott always talks about Few says in Spokane he is just another guy. Bob Knight was never just another guy, Cal or Coach K not just another guy. The legends of the game are FEW and far between

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The IU administration hates the IU athletic department. 

Maybe, but they're more than happy to cash the alimony payment..

“The $53 million building (School of Global and International Studies) was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Nick Saban has done a somewhat decent job at rebuilding Bama.

Yes. I don't think people realize quite how far Alabama had sunk. Mike Price was fired without coaching for using his credit card at a strip club. Franchione left Bama for Texas A&M. People were laughingly dreaming of Bill Parcels taking the job. The situation was similar to ours, except the support of the administration. We are a sleeping giant for the right coach.

Someone was saying the athletic department is down $40 million this year. I could see Dolson being fine with cutting ties with Archie, but at the same time not going for a big fish because of the down year financially. Dane Fife was brought up by the insider on the other board as being a realistic option because of multiple reasons: 1. Part of the IU family 2. Can recruit 3. Wouldn’t cost big money 4. Could be your guy for the next 30 years. In a podcast interview earlier in the season he stated there were 3 head coaching jobs he’d take: IU, Michigan, and Michigan State.
   I understand the lack of head coaching experience he may possess, but he’s a guy who would definitely know what IU basketball is supposed to look like and I’m sure he’d do everything he could to get us to that point. If a financial bind really does prevent us from going big, I think I’d be ok with Fife. He’d understand the passion and I think he’d get a staff that understood it just as well. He’s going to have kids a lot more willing to go to IU than IPFW. The school alone sells itself in that aspect when comparing his last head gig. If we can get the big fish then great, but otherwise I think Fife wouldn’t be a bad option if Archie were let go this season. 

Edit: This isn’t me saying it’s what I hope happens by any means, but based off situation and thinking how the department could maybe go about this, I see it as a possibility because of the reasons stated. I’d love for us to buck up and go all out to be certain we get back to where we are supposed to be. If we go the cheap route, I could see Fife as the option. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Yes. I don't think people realize quite how far Alabama had sunk. Mike Price was fired without coaching for using his credit card at a strip club.

Oh, it went well beyond that. Well worth a read for the entertainment value:

https://vault.si.com/vault/2003/05/12/how-he-met-his-destiny-at-a-strip-club-mike-price-fired

If you hire a guy like Alford or Fife they'd better start winning right away.  They'd have a very short leash with the fan base as no one wanted them in the first place.  If you hire a proven winner like Drew or Pearl they would get a long leash as they have proven they know how to coach in the big boy leagues.  I think there is a misconception among some fans that an IU guy is the solution because they would get a longer leash.  I promise you the exact opposite is the case as there are no promising IU guys out there.

Archived