Potential replacement coaches

The candidates this year compared to four years ago seem so much worse. Maybe I'm imagining it. Feel like there were a couple of really good candidates when we hired Archie but we just made the wrong choice. I like Drew, Oats, and Musselman this year and think they'd have success here for a long time but they're probably unattainable. Looking at people a step below those three all feel like a huge risk and we end up with people like Fife as the best candidate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

The candidates this year compared to four years ago seem so much worse. Maybe I'm imagining it. Feel like there were a couple of really good candidates when we hired Archie but we just made the wrong choice. I like Drew, Oats, and Musselman this year and think they'd have success here for a long time but they're probably unattainable. Looking at people a step below those three all feel like a huge risk and we end up with people like Fife as the best candidate.

I'd say guys like Holtmann and Underwood had huge question marks they've just panned out thus far.  Same for Juwan Howard.  You only need to get lucky once.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

It is beware what you wish for because it doesn't always work out

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Underwood is gonna be in trouble when his top assistant goes to coach at UNM and those Puerto Rican players transfer with him.

Yep. That's been the rumor with Antigua. As far as Underwood is concerned. He's coached very well but received the biggest benefit Covid could provide in Ayo and Kofi returning. Despite what some will say once they see this comment....Ayo and Kofi were both gone. Those two not on this team has them bubble at best. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is beware what you wish for because it doesn't always work out

Yes, you've said this many times. Everyone knows it's true as we've all seen the IU hires for the past 20 years. The alternative is keeping Miller which is a looking like a failure that won't recover. The chance at another failed hire is better than keeping someone who is failing and will more than likely keep doing so.

Just the chance of possibly being better is better than the status quo which is a dumpster fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, you've said this many times. Everyone knows it's true as we've all seen the IU hires for the past 20 years. The alternative is keeping Miller which is a looking like a failure that won't recover. The chance at another failed hire is better than keeping someone who is failing and will more than likely keep doing so.

Just the chance of possibly being better is better than the status quo which is a dumpster fire.

I want a change but it usually isn't the best to just make a change just for the sake of change.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So how do you know who they have talked to in the past and who they tried to get.  if reports are true we have been turned down by Few, Stevens and Bennett in the past.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I'm not talking about who our incompetent administration has tried to get, I said a good administration. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I'm not talking about who our incompetent administration has tried to get, I said a good administration. 

Even if we had a top AD and administration in the country you really think that would made a difference in getting those guys.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want a change but it usually isn't the best to just make a change just for the sake of change.

Moving on from Archie isn’t for the sake of change. It’s because the coach has failed, so it’s a needed. 

If Purdue moved made a change from Painter, that would be making a change for the sake of change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unexpectedflash said:

I'm pretty Mike White was on the hot seat and Florida fans would be ecstatic if we hired him away from them. They really underachieved last year. 

so strange because he seemed like a sure fire up and coming coach not long ago.  kinda like CAM i guess

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Firing Miller wouldn't be "a change just for the sake of change." 

When something is evaluated, determined to not have its performance meeting expectations, and then changes are made in an effort to reach those expectations, that's not change for the sake of change. And that is the case here. This would be a deliberate change with a goal in mind. Completely different from changing something just because.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Moving on from Archie isn’t for the sake of change. It’s because the coach has failed, so it’s a needed. 

If Purdue moved made a change from Painter, that would be making a change for the sake of change. 

Just saying it is hard to make that change unless you have a sure fire upgrade.  It is time for Archie to go and hopefully we see that in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, unexpectedflash said:

I feel the same way, but I think its because of what has happened the last 4 years. Everybody is a little gun shy thinking the same thing will happen. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, HMSHoosier said:

I feel the same way, but I think its because of what has happened the last 4 years. Everybody is a little gun shy thinking the same thing will happen. Just my opinion.

Right.  Hope they doa better job on due diligence before hire.  

2 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

• Like 2

A good friend of mine who pays good money for floor seats told me today that he wouldn’t be surprised if Archie was let go after the Purdue game. He said if Archie is back next year the fans will clearly vocalize their lack of support him. That’s not something I would want to witness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IU is an upgrade for Beard, Drew, Oates, Musselman, etc., but IMO the biggest reason for them not to come is simply the Big Ten. 

Why would you leave the Big12, SEC or PAC12 where if you're a really good coach you can almost walk into the NCAA Tournament every year, for the meat grinder that is the Big Ten?

Take a guy like Mick Cronin. Everyone is saying what a great hire that ended up being for UCLA. Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of UCLA, but what I have seen they're not that much better than IU. I'm not so sure IU doesn't beat UCLA head-to-head, but the PAC12 is a joke, so they're doing great. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Even if we had a top AD and administration in the country you really think that would made a difference in getting those guys.

Yes. That's exactly why other programs can go get their guy and we can't. 

Why do you think we can't get to our guy?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

A good friend of mine who pays good money for floor seats told me today that he wouldn’t be surprised if Archie was let go after the Purdue game. He said if Archie is back next year the fans will clearly vocalize their lack of support him. That’s not something I would want to witness.

I know you are just repeating what you heard ,but to be clear, after the Purdue game as in before the BTT and possible NIT?  

3 hours ago, unexpectedflash said:

Part of it is no tournament last year so some of the hot names didn't get to emerge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

IU is an upgrade for Beard, Drew, Oates, Musselman, etc., but IMO the biggest reason for them not to come is simply the Big Ten. 

Why would you leave the Big12, SEC or PAC12 where if you're a really good coach you can almost walk into the NCAA Tournament every year, for the meat grinder that is the Big Ten?

Take a guy like Mick Cronin. Everyone is saying what a great hire that ended up being for UCLA. Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of UCLA, but what I have seen they're not that much better than IU. I'm not so sure IU doesn't beat UCLA head-to-head, but the PAC12 is a joke, so they're doing great. 

I'd be lying if part of me hasn't wondered in a normal B1G year, if this team isn't more of a 16-8 at this point versus 12-13 without the bad momentum snowballing us and everyone is saying Archie has the program going in the right direction.  I mean the conference really is exceptionally brutal and without those cake opponents pre-conference to build confidence and act a shelter record-wise, it is just a really fine line you are walking between a decent season and horribly bad, which we have veered towards.  

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 3