Potential replacement coaches

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IU is an upgrade for Beard, Drew, Oates, Musselman, etc., but IMO the biggest reason for them not to come is simply the Big Ten. 

Why would you leave the Big12, SEC or PAC12 where if you're a really good coach you can almost walk into the NCAA Tournament every year, for the meat grinder that is the Big Ten?

Take a guy like Mick Cronin. Everyone is saying what a great hire that ended up being for UCLA. Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of UCLA, but what I have seen they're not that much better than IU. I'm not so sure IU doesn't beat UCLA head-to-head, but the PAC12 is a joke, so they're doing great. 

I watched some UCLA and they are still winning without two of their top four players.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I'd be lying if part of me hasn't wondered in a normal B1G year, if this team isn't more of a 16-8 at this point versus 12-13 with bad momentum snowballing us and everyone is saying Archie has the program going in the right direction.  I mean the conference really is exceptionally brutal and without those cake opponents pre-conference to build confidence and act a shelter record-wise, it is just a really fine line you are walking between a decent season and horribly bad, which we have veered towards.  

Cupcakes are pre season so the B1G has nothing to do with that. This season, IU has been the cupcake of the conference.

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes. That's exactly why other programs can go get their guy and we can't. 

Why do you think we can't get to our guy?

Because like it our not IU is not the job we think it is.  I don't know if we are blind or just in denial but our fans are the only one who thinks were still at an elite level with UK, KU, Duke and UNC.  If we were talking in 1995 and we had an opening then yes the top coaches would be looking at this job to move to but it isn't 1995.  Also I think the fan base has a little to do with not getting top coaches here.  Why leave TT or Baylor where those coaches will have a contract as long as they want it.  As long as they compete in their conference and make the tournament they will have no problem with job security.  They come here and by year 3 they will be getting bashed if we are not in the top of the big ten and making tournament runs.

Also our revenue compared to some of the other programs out there is not as high due to the lack of attendance at football games.  Even if we sell out every Football game revenue is still half of some of the other top programs in the big ten.

29 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I'd be lying if part of me hasn't wondered in a normal B1G year, if this team isn't more of a 16-8 at this point versus 12-13 with bad momentum snowballing us and everyone is saying Archie has the program going in the right direction.  I mean the conference really is exceptionally brutal and without those cake opponents pre-conference to build confidence and act a shelter record-wise, it is just a really fine line you are walking between a decent season and horribly bad, which we have veered towards.  

They also got a tougher version of the schedule than others. And Assembly Hall is not the same without fans. Yeah you could say that about other places, but I really think they win 4 more at home with a packed house. AH is head and shoulders tougher than most places when it's full. This team has had so many close games...I can't remember a season like this. Outside of a couple, every game has come down to last few minutes. This season has been a meat grinder. The team seems to be worn down. Losing close games, injuries and thinner bench are taking their toll.  This is why when it's all said and done, unless they have some huge hire lined up, I think Archie will be back. I think that's the reality. But we'll see. The saddest part is the tourney being in Indiana. This season SUCKS. 

25 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Cupcakes are pre season so the B1G has nothing to do with that. This season, IU has been the cupcake of the conference.

Understood, but they can give you a cushion in record to psychologically not let the season get away from the players.   As we have seen, a bad streak only compounds when you are working with a team with smaller margin of error.  If you don't look at them play and see they are in their own heads, then you are not looking hard enough.  That is where good coaching comes into play and Archie has to accept some responsibility.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. That's been the rumor with Antigua. As far as Underwood is concerned. He's coached very well but received the biggest benefit Covid could provide in Ayo and Kofi returning. Despite what some will say once they see this comment....Ayo and Kofi were both gone. Those two not on this team has them bubble at best. 

Yep so they lose both of those plus all players Antigua takes with him. Guess we will see how good of a coach Underwood really is,

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

IU is an upgrade for Beard, Drew, Oates, Musselman, etc., but IMO the biggest reason for them not to come is simply the Big Ten. 

Why would you leave the Big12, SEC or PAC12 where if you're a really good coach you can almost walk into the NCAA Tournament every year, for the meat grinder that is the Big Ten?

Take a guy like Mick Cronin. Everyone is saying what a great hire that ended up being for UCLA. Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of UCLA, but what I have seen they're not that much better than IU. I'm not so sure IU doesn't beat UCLA head-to-head, but the PAC12 is a joke, so they're doing great. 

The Big12 is not exactly a walk in the park.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Because like it our not IU is not the job we think it is.  I don't know if we are blind or just in denial but our fans are the only one who thinks were still at an elite level with UK, KU, Duke and UNC.  If we were talking in 1995 and we had an opening then yes the top coaches would be looking at this job to move to but it isn't 1995.  Also I think the fan base has a little to do with not getting top coaches here.  Why leave TT or Baylor where those coaches will have a contract as long as they want it.  As long as they compete in their conference and make the tournament they will have no problem with job security.  They come here and by year 3 they will be getting bashed if we are not in the top of the big ten and making tournament runs.

Also our revenue compared to some of the other programs out there is not as high due to the lack of attendance at football games.  Even if we sell out every Football game revenue is still half of some of the other top programs in the big ten.

Also here’s the problem IMO. Durham, leal, Galloway, and Geronimo are terrible at defense, RP is short which is TERRIBLE for the pack line, Trayce has had to play extra because of the death and IMO it’s affected his play I don’t care what stats say, Race has had to play out of position because of the depth, Franklin has been hurt during the meat of our schedule which has affected his defense and offense and Durham has been ridiculously inconsistent and RP has been pretty nonexistent for 90% of that and definitely not producing for Franklin on top of what they produce, and finally Archie recruited Leal and Galloway because they were shooters. Galloway not as much but he had more tangibles. Galloway is 5-29 or 5-30 from the 3 and Leal is timid to shoot IMO unless he is wide open or has to shoot because of shot clock.  There is no offensive flow with him yet because he just stands there or takes one or two dribbles and then passes... he doesn’t try creating offense or creating his own shot. If Archie gets fired he gets fired if he doesn’t he doesn’t but I’m never ever giving up on my love for IU basketball and just want a coach that will be around for 15 years and give us stability. If that’s Archie great if it’s not great but I’m tired of people blaming Archie because he makes $3m a year. This is on everyone in the program no questions asked. 

8 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Not too sure on that.  I know his record speaks for itself though.  His first ten seasons at Oregon were all 20+ win seasons.

2021-03-03 (1).png

Watching them right now and they are about to beat UCLA.  I know the PAC 10 is not great but the flow of their games are a lot better than the big ten.  Also I didn't realize that Altman is 63 because he doesn't look that old.

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Also here’s the problem IMO. Durham, leal, Galloway, and Geronimo are terrible at defense, RP is short which is TERRIBLE for the pack line, Trayce has had to play extra because of the death and IMO it’s affected his play I don’t care what stats say, Race has had to play out of position because of the depth, Franklin has been hurt during the meat of our schedule which has affected his defense and offense and Durham has been ridiculously inconsistent and RP has been pretty nonexistent for 90% of that and definitely not producing for Franklin on top of what they produce, and finally Archie recruited Leal and Galloway because they were shooters. Galloway not as much but he had more tangibles. Galloway is 5-29 or 5-30 from the 3 and Leal is timid to shoot IMO unless he is wide open or has to shoot because of shot clock.  There is no offensive flow with him yet because he just stands there or takes one or two dribbles and then passes... he doesn’t try creating offense or creating his own shot. If Archie gets fired he gets fired if he doesn’t he doesn’t but I’m never ever giving up on my love for IU basketball and just want a coach that will be around for 15 years and give us stability. If that’s Archie great if it’s not great but I’m tired of people blaming Archie because he makes $3m a year. This is on everyone in the program no questions asked. 

I am sorry for recruiting this roster. 

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

A ton of what you’ve shared is on Archie. Again I really like Archie 1000X more than Crean. But HE recruited the players. HE hasn’t gotten them to play defense (that’s mostly taught), HE is the one who designs the plays and pits the players in a position to maximize their talents and minimize their weaknesses. 

I haven’t seen anyone say that what he’s getting paid is a part of this at all. It hasn’t worked. He gave it a go and it’s a fail. Time for both sides to move on. I hope we find a good fit with this next one. That man will be given every chance to succeed as the previous have. And if that one doesn’t work we do it again and again till we find our coach.

IU better never “settle in” with a coach for 15 years just to settle in with them regardless of their success. That’s not what people who make 5,000,000 a year do...they find a way to build a winner or they step aside.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Coaches also aren't dumb.  They talk to each other, and it's a fraternity.  They know who is hamstrung by their own administration.

No amount of money would make Chris Beard want to come to a tougher conference and have to deal with internal obstacles that prevent him from rising to the top.

Archived