Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, BDB said:

No 2nd chances for any of these fellas?

Ha. I was posting something similar.   Assuming IU gets back to winning - without trouble ... would people be ok hiring Pitino and giving him a second chance knowing he was previously a scumbag?

• Haha 1

I've said it before and will say it again, Matta isn't taking the job. He's said repeatedly he has no desire to return to coaching. He's especially not going to replace one of his former assistants if we fire Archie. And his last few years at Ohio State were underwhelming at best. I don't understand why people keep floating his name as a top target.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I've said it before and will say it again, Matta isn't taking the job. He's said repeatedly he has no desire to return to coaching. He's especially not going to replace one of his former assistants if we fire Archie. And his last few years at Ohio State were underwhelming at best. I don't understand why people keep floating his name as a top target.

Probably putting his name out just like all of the others even though we don't even have an opening as of right now.  Many believe Matta last few years were due to his health and which could have hurt his recruiting.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably putting his name out just like all of the others even though we don't even have an opening as of right now.  Many believe Matta last few years were due to his health and which could have hurt his recruiting.

Yes. And he’s been considering some jobs lately (Wichita St). Plus, zoom/pandemic will help his health/back situation (which allegedly is better).  

Im personally not buying the “he won’t coach IU bc it’s replacing his mentor” angle.  Just me though. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

He has entertained offers. He may or may not want the IU job, but replacing an assistant who worked for him for two years more than a decade ago because the old assistant didn't succeed (even by the old assistant's own estimation) won't be an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

He has entertained offers. He may or may not want the IU job, but replacing an assistant who worked for him for two years more than a decade ago because the old assistant didn't succeed (even by the old assistant's own estimation) won't be an issue. 

My thoughts too

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

You might be right, but he’s a thousand times more likely to take the job than Stevens yet people are still bringing him up. https://scarletandgame.com/2020/11/11/ohio-state-basketball-thad-matta-might-get-back-coaching/amp/

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

I saw someone mention that Mack also uses the pack line defense. I haven't watched many of his games over the years so I was wondering if he has a different "version" than Archie? I figured maybe he uses a few different nuances in it or something. From what I can remember, his teams have looked pretty good defensively. Do you guys think he teaches it better or has just had better talent and fits for that type of defense? Personally, I'm not a fan of the pack line and as good of a coach Mack is, I don't really want to see us continue to play it. If I remember correctly, someone posted that the only team to ever win a championship using it is Virginia. And we have seen how inconsistent their tournament showing has been, especially the year before when they got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed! Keeping that in mind, I don't understand why any major program would use it. Especially with all the great shooters and emphasis on the 3 point shot in today's game. 

Thanks

51 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

You might be right, but he’s a thousand times more likely to take the job than Stevens yet people are still bringing him up. https://scarletandgame.com/2020/11/11/ohio-state-basketball-thad-matta-might-get-back-coaching/amp/

This article makes it sound like it would have to be a situation that wouldn't disrupt his family. Anyone know where he is living in Indy? If it's Hamilton County, there is no way to pull that off without relocating which may or may not be an issue. It may be good enough to just be close to Butler.

If it's the southside it's not a far commute to Bloomington at all. 

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This article makes it sound like it would have to be a situation that wouldn't disrupt his family. Anyone know where he is living in Indy? If it's Hamilton County, there is no way to pull that off without relocating which may or may not be an issue. It may be good enough to just be close to Butler.

A quick search shows he lives very close to Butler U.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Not a good commute right now.  37 south of Martinsville to Bloomington is a disaster.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Or if I am correct his daughter may be finishing her degree at Butler soon and that may not matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I saw someone mention that Mack also uses the pack line defense. I haven't watched many of his games over the years so I was wondering if he has a different "version" than Archie? I figured maybe he uses a few different nuances in it or something. From what I can remember, his teams have looked pretty good defensively. Do you guys think he teaches it better or has just had better talent and fits for that type of defense? Personally, I'm not a fan of the pack line and as good of a coach Mack is, I don't really want to see us continue to play it. If I remember correctly, someone posted that the only team to ever win a championship using it is Virginia. And we have seen how inconsistent their tournament showing has been, especially the year before when they got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed! Keeping that in mind, I don't understand why any major program would use it. Especially with all the great shooters and emphasis on the 3 point shot in today's game. 

Thanks

I think Mack is better at making adjustments over the season and game to game than CAM.  As someone else has already explained in the B1G there is very good scouting, and other B1G teams make adjustments to counter what their opponents are doing.  CAM is just not at good as making counter-adjustments and/or doesn't have the personnel to do so.  Furthermore, as you mention the defense has inherent weaknesses such as the 3-ball that can be exploited if the other team has the right personnel.

• Like 1

Nobody has mentioned this guy for a while. 

I believe Chris Collins would be a tremendous long-term solution.  He could come in without doing much in terms of roster (not suggesting this as best route, but to make a point), and start winning immediately.  

At Northwestern, he is accustomed to using paper clips going into war against machine guns.  He knows the B1G and would be very good quickly.  

The recruiting world would open to him like never before and I believe he’d take off.  Have felt if we could get him we would be set for years.  Unless Dook called.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

You can keep repeating that but he has listened to offers recently, even Georgia ahead of Crean.  

To those that are oddly giddy and hopeful that Chriss007 is correct.  With all due respect to him, my brother a huge Louisville fan that works in louisville with people with private jets says no way.  Brother pointed out that Mack actually has an auto extend to his contract if sanctions do come.  I asked if that meant more money as well he said not sure.  I pointed out to him what some of you have pointed out about the it was adidas not us argument failing and he still said don't see it.  If there is any truth to this what so ever, it's gotta be a raise play.  He's Paintering Louisville and this is fairly obvious to see with an unbiased eye.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

I believe Chris Collins would be a tremendous long-term solution.  He could come in without doing much in terms of roster (not suggesting this as best route, but to make a point), and start winning immediately.  

At Northwestern, he is accustomed to using paper clips going into war against machine guns.  He knows the B1G and would be very good quickly.  

The recruiting world would open to him like never before and I believe he’d take off.  Have felt if we could get him we would be set for years.  Unless Dook called.  

It's as good a suggestion as any of these others that have been floated, and I think he's the guy with the least amount of red flags from those mentioned to this point. If there's one thing that seems certain, it's that we're not getting what will immediately seem like a home run hire, unless something really unexpected happens.

I wouldn’t be interested in Colin’s in the slightest. That’s just me though. If I’m AD, I’m not looking for a guy that can get IU to 5th. I’m going for a guy that can and will take IU to its rightful place at the top of the B1G consistently. No gambles. There has already been 20 years of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

I would have no problem with Collins as a hire, nor would I have a problem with Tommy Amaker.

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I wouldn’t be interested in Colin’s in the slightest. That’s just me though. If I’m AD, I’m not liking for a gut that can get IU to 5th. I’m going for a guy that can and will take IU to its rightful place at top of the B1G consistently. No gambles. There already been 20 years of that.

We better start with a guy that can get us to 5th in the B1G consistently.

• Like 1