Potential replacement coaches

7 hours ago, 8Bucks said:

Or if I am correct his daughter may be finishing her degree at Butler soon and that may not matter. 

That's good info, thanks.

I also assume, and this could very well be the case with the family history at Butler, that they love the Meridian Kessler/Butler-Tarkington area. It would be completely reasonable for Thad and Mrs. Matta to keep their home there and have another home or condo in Bloomington. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So Coach Tom Allen just got a million dollar a year well deserved raise.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31026894/indiana-football-coach-tom-allen-gets-new-7-year-deal-1-million-annual-raise

I'm hoping this means that Dolson is determined to pay competitively to get the coach he wants (in all sports) and not that we won't be able to afford to hire a top tier basketball coach now. I have heard repeatedly that Dolson is great at raising funds and cares deeply about IU hoops, so my guess is this is a good sign, but we shall see soon enough.

I really hope Dolson does the same thing for coach Moren. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think IU should even bother calling Stevens. Even if he was interested, he wouldn’t leave the Celtics before their season was done, and the playoffs don’t start until the end of May. Can IU afford to be without a head coach until potentially the end of July? I really don’t think so. 

Yes.  Absolutely yes.  I'd let Mike Roberts be the head recruiter,head coach, director, trainer, surgeon if it meant getting Stevens in July.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So Coach Tom Allen just got a million dollar a year well deserved raise.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31026894/indiana-football-coach-tom-allen-gets-new-7-year-deal-1-million-annual-raise

I'm hoping this means that Dolson is determined to pay competitively to get the coach he wants (in all sports) and not that we won't be able to afford to hire a top tier basketball coach now. I have heard repeatedly that Dolson is great at raising funds and cares deeply about IU hoops, so my guess is this is a good sign, but we shall see soon enough.

I'm taking this as a good sign.

They cannot possibly be unaware of the optics of this if IUBB stays in the status quo. This almost completely neuters the "We can't afford this because of our financial losses" argument. I love Tom Allen a whole lot, but football is still very much in the backseat at the university. To me, there is NO way they can do this while not go hunting for a new basketball coach.

• Like 3

Muss is a straight-up lunatic in a good way. He's definitely more of a hired gun than some poetic Indiana guy story rebuilding a brand. He's Sampson but cleaner, in theory.  Muss would win in Bloomington but you may not love him not caring as much about owning the state in recruiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I'm taking this as a good sign.

They cannot possibly be unaware of the optics of this if IUBB stays in the status quo. This almost completely neuters the "We can't afford this because of our financial losses" argument. I love Tom Allen a whole lot, but football is still very much in the backseat at the university. To me, there is NO way they can do this while not go hunting for a new basketball coach.

I have no idea how to take this other then Tom Allen is at IU as long as he wants. As for everything else?.. I don’t know if it’s good or bad. Guessing Teri Moren is next to be paid before IU men’s basketball coach is decided. 

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

I have no idea how to take this other then Tom Allen is at IU as long as he wants. As for everything else?.. I don’t know if it’s good or bad. Guessing Teri Moren is next to be paid before IU men’s basketball coach is decided. 

If they can find the money for restructuring Tom Allen after he already said he wants to be nowhere else and supposedly did not even take a call from Auburn, I'm just saying the argument that we can't afford Archie's buyout is now out the window.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

If they can find the money for restructuring Tom Allen after he already said he wants to be nowhere else and supposedly did not even take a call from Auburn, I'm just saying the argument that we can't afford Archie's buyout is now out the window.

Oh I 100% agree. I’m just saying. The University is going to pay the deserving before handling the remaining issue in hand. 

Just now, Cbp4IU said:

Oh I 100% agree. I’m just saying. The University is going to pay the deserving before handling the remaining issue in hand. 

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It's not like both of them don't deserve their money. But if Dolson truly doesn't see the optics of doing this right now then I am back to having minimal faith in our administration.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

If they can find the money for restructuring Tom Allen after he already said he wants to be nowhere else and supposedly did not even take a call from Auburn...

The bolded part is kind of the same reason I worry about us landing a good basketball coach with us as fans. 

Auburn is, no offense to us, OBVIOUSLY a better historic football team with easier access to high end football recruits. BUT if Allen stays here, he can win and win big (maybe not NC big...) without fans wanting him fired after a couple of  mediocre seasons.

In basketball, I think we are the "Auburn" and many coaches we contact we will be the "Allen."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think IU should even bother calling Stevens. Even if he was interested, he wouldn’t leave the Celtics before their season was done, and the playoffs don’t start until the end of May. Can IU afford to be without a head coach until potentially the end of July? I really don’t think so. 

If Stevens is remotely interested in listening, we have to try and get him. Even if that means hiring Hunter as the interim head coach until things shake out

Edited by Bowhunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In my mind, there are only 3 tiers in this situation.

Tier 1:  Brad Stevens

Tier 2:  A pool of 7-8 guys worth hiring right now.

Tier 3:  The rest of the candidate pool, who likely would not be popular hires, nor would they bring the type of improvement that we want.

So, here's the rub.  If Stevens tells us no 3 times, we look at those 7-8 in the second tier.  The problem is that at least half of those guys are probably comfortable enough in their current position to say no to taking on a rebuild situation at IU at this time. So, what do we do?  Overpay for one of the remaining options in that pool?  Or, do we hire a temporary stop-gap like Beilien with hopes that in 3-4 years we're attractive enough that more of those 7-8 are interested?

Another advantage to the stop-gap hire is that in 3-4 years, some new options may enter that second tier.  And, if we're more attractive, we may be able to land a long term hire that way.  There are significant downsides to the stop-gap plan though.  One is recruiting.  Harder to sell a recruit to come play if they don't know who the coach is going to be their senior season.  Also, when we talk about that second tier expanding with new candidates, some of those candidates may not pan out.  We kind of got that with Archie.  If IU would have made a move earlier with Crean, Archie would not have been a candidate.  As it turned out, when we finally did, Archie was considered an excellent hire by most, but it turns out he wasn't quite ready.

Give all that, what should we do if Stevens turns us down 3 times?  I would say we ask him a 4th time to be sure.  Beyond that, I have no clue how we get this fixed. 

This is exactly why I want Beilein because I think he could give us at least 5-6 really good years

10 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

If Stevens is remotely interested in listening, we have to . Even if that means hiring Hunter as the interim head coach until things shake out

Hiring a good coach especially at a place like IU is similar to a marriage. If it can't be 'love at first sight', one party must win the other party's heart. IU must drop its ego and show Stevens love, support, and most importantly desperation. 

If Stevens is a no at the end of the year.  We need to find a way to get Chris Beard. Ex wife’s location might make that impossible though. 

I’m not sure about Drew at Baylor with his past and I keep going back and forth on him and Mussleman at Arkansas. 

I like John Beilien more than both of those, but I don’t see the university taking a PR hit with what happen with the thug comment in Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

The bolded part is kind of the same reason I worry about us landing a good basketball coach with us as fans. 

Auburn is, no offense to us, OBVIOUSLY a better historic football team with easier access to high end football recruits. BUT if Allen stays here, he can win and win big (maybe not NC big...) without fans wanting him fired after a couple of  mediocre seasons.

In basketball, I think we are the "Auburn" and many coaches we contact we will be the "Allen."

With all due respect to Auburn, where half my family attended and whom I grew up rooting for, they are closer to Illinois or Purdue and we are closer to Alabama. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Beilein is possibly the worst name I've seen brought up.  Just makes absolutely no sense.  He'd be near his mid 70s before he finally got his system in place.

I don't think we are in a position to wait 4 years for ANY coach to get their system in place. That mindset needs to end. For 3 years, we kept saying it takes time to install and learn the pack line and Archie just needs to get "his" guys. We need to move past that mindset. Other coaches win right away and we need someone who will do the same. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Beilein is possibly the worst name I've seen brought up.  Just makes absolutely no sense.  He'd be near his mid 70s before he finally got his system in place.

I don't agree that Belien is the worst name brought up, because he has been a proven coach in later stages of his NCAA career, especially Michigan. I  have no doubt he would be a tremendous upgrade, but at a cost. 

I do agree that it is poor choice because of his age. I feel he would be a quick, "band aid" hire, like you said,... He'd be near his mid 70s before he finally got his system in place.