Potential replacement coaches

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don't agree that Belien is the worst name brought up, because he has been a proven coach in later stages of his NCAA career, especially Michigan. I  have no doubt he would be a tremendous upgrade, but at a cost. 

I do agree that it is poor choice because of his age. I feel he would be a quick, "band aid" hire, like you said,... He'd be near his mid 70s before he finally got his system in place. 

Beilein could get the program back on track. We would then be in a much better position to make our next hire.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

I don't think we are in a position to wait 4 years for ANY coach to get their system in place. That mindset needs to end. For 3 years, we kept saying it takes time to install and learn the pack line and Archie just needs to get "his" guys. We need to move past that mindset. Other coaches win right away and we need someone who will do the same. 

Also - this is a free agency off-season.  Any new coach could accelerate the rebuild by August.  

Archie could make the argument that he could revamp the roster too, but it may be too far gone. 

which, if Dolson is leaning towards a change, this off-season makes it much more advantageous for that reason alone. 

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Also - this is a free agency off-season.  Any new coach could accelerate the rebuild by August.  

IF a change is made, this may very be the upcoming reality that tips the scale to doing it now.  Reload process has at least an opportunity to be considerably brief initially. 

2 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Beilein could get the program back on track. We would then be in a much better position to make our next hire.

I totally agree with everything you said.....but a university, a fan base and a community wants consistency and longevity. I see it both ways. Look how well Denver did with Payton for a few years and look at them now. Look at Tampa Bay with Brady, but for how long? I would love the "fix right now", but when it goes away, it's tough to get it back. JMHO.... It's a tough one to decide. I pray Dolson does make the right call. I hope whatever he does, that he doesn't forget where he came from and reaches out to all his IU alum connections for helpful advise and insight.

52 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Hiring a good coach especially at a place like IU is similar to a marriage. If it can't be 'love at first sight', one party must win the other party's heart. IU must drop its ego and show Stevens love, support, and most importantly desperation. 

I want to 'like' your post, but me positively reacting on anything related to marriage probably hurts the point you are making.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I totally agree with everything you said.....but a university, a fan base and a community wants consistency and longevity. I see it both ways. Look how well Denver did with Payton for a few years and look at them now. Look at Tampa Bay with Brady, but for how long? I would love the "fix right now", but when it goes away, it's tough to get it back. JMHO.... It's a tough one to decide. I pray Dolson does make the right call. I hope whatever he does, that he doesn't forget where he came from and reaches out to all his IU alum connections for helpful advise and insight.

A successful Beilein for 8 years or so will feel like 25 in Recent Hoosier years. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Beilein is possibly the worst name I've seen brought up.  Just makes absolutely no sense.  He'd be near his mid 70s before he finally got his system in place.

Actually, the worst case scenario would be to hire someone who is still in their mid 30's that can't get his system in place until he's near his mid 70s.  :coffee:

• Like 3

Just now, 5fouls said:

Actually, the worst case scenario would be to hire someone who is still in their mid 30's that can't get his system in place until he's near his mid 70s.  :coffee:

I didn't know I was under consideration for the job but if Dolson is willing to pay me 7 figures I'm on my way.  I'll start my preparation now.

516Dxnbf3SL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If you can have a great 4 or 5 year run to me it is worth it.  I doubt those two fan bases you mentioned probably wouldn't give up those championships for more stability.  Just like I couldn't believe people said that going to the championship game in 2002 was a bad thing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

I don't think we are in a position to wait 4 years for ANY coach to get their system in place. That mindset needs to end. For 3 years, we kept saying it takes time to install and learn the pack line and Archie just needs to get "his" guys. We need to move past that mindset. Other coaches win right away and we need someone who will do the same. 

Good point. I agree that Belien is a good coach, but what concerns me is that hi successful teams at UM look nothing like our current roster. And would he need a 'Luke Yaklich type' to get this thing off the ground quickly? If so, is that guy out there? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Interesting, still not coming to IU in my opinion

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread - but the Celtics would have to fire him in the next couple of weeks for this to work, right? Stevens isn't going to pull a Bobby Petrino and quit on his team in the middle of the season and we will not go months without a head coach.

• Like 1

I assume most of us on this board watch a ton of basketball and understand what's going on. 

1. Beilein has looked so old on TV, I would consider him a non starter unless you bring Dane or Mike Lewis in with him.  We all have our opinions, my opinion is he looks old as balls and would struggle to recruit.  

2. Seniors that have played 4 years cannot play another year wherever they want.  They can only play another year at their existing school.  Therefore Justin Smith, if he plays one more year, can only play for Arkansas.  I know some of y'all are joking but a few of you are serious.  That's where I get on trouble assuming everyone on this board understands what's happening this year.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread - but the Celtics would have to fire him in the next couple of weeks for this to work, right? Stevens isn't going to pull a Bobby Petrino and quit on his team in the middle of the season and we will not go months without a head coach.

Why not?  I would literally pause all basketball program activities for up to a year and a half if we knew Stevens was coming.  

I can't believe this has been said twice, today.  How bad do you all want to be Alabama of college basketball?

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why not?  I would literally pause all basketball program activities for up to a year and a half if we knew Stevens was coming.  

I can't believe this has been said twice, today.  How bad do you all want to be Alabama of college basketball?

I would literally come

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

To me I’d hire Beilein if he brought a top assistant that knows his exact system and has all of the trates to seamlessly take over. It doesn’t need to be an IU guy at all. I’d even be fine if he brought in Toengel (sp) sorry I don’t know his name.... to prepare him to come to big ten since he coaches at a smaller school now. 

• Like 1