Potential replacement coaches

I’m not saying he is or isn’t coming but this could be the perfect storm for IU fans if the administration doesn’t muck it up. Nobody knows what Brad wants to do going forward should the Celtics let him go.  Maybe he takes another NBA job, maybe he decides he doesn’t like dealing with all the drama from the NBA players

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Serious consideration if Brad were to become available. Is there a scenario where IU provides a private helicopter so he can live in Indy/Zionsville and coach in Bloomington? 

I imagine that anything could be written into a contract. The university generally provides a new vehicle to the coach every year already... but logistically and practically, I can not see that actually being feasible.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yes.  Absolutely yes.  I'd let Mike Roberts be the head recruiter,head coach, director, trainer, surgeon if it meant getting Stevens in July.  

I’d rather it be Kenya Hunter than Mike Roberts if just one... I just have a good feeling about Kenya and hope no matter what he sticks around for awhile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, labeck81 said:

Muss is a straight-up lunatic in a good way. He's definitely more of a hired gun than some poetic Indiana guy story rebuilding a brand. He's Sampson but cleaner, in theory.  Muss would win in Bloomington but you may not love him not caring as much about owning the state in recruiting.

So are you saying he’s the northern version of Beard from TT... lol

3 hours ago, Bushmage said:

If they can find the money for restructuring Tom Allen after he already said he wants to be nowhere else and supposedly did not even take a call from Auburn, I'm just saying the argument that we can't afford Archie's buyout is now out the window.

And the way I read it is if he goes to 7 bowls in this 7 year contract it’s essentially a 14 year deal? 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not saying he is or isn’t coming but this could be the perfect storm for IU fans if the administration doesn’t muck it up. Nobody knows what Brad wants to do going forward should the Celtics let him go.  Maybe he takes another NBA job, maybe he decides he doesn’t like dealing with all the drama from the NBA players

Or maybe he is fired but this is the year Coach K decides to retire.  Would be just our luck right?

With regard to Stevens, and I know @BGleas will poo poo this, but if IU comes to him with a great offer and he truly is on the hot seat.... don't you think after 8 years in Boston that's a conversation he can have with their leadership? 

"Hey, what is going to have to happen for this to work out? I just got a great offer from Indiana and it would be a great opportunity for my family, so if the end result after this season is you think I'm done then please tell me now so I don't miss another great chance for my family."

That's a completely reasonable conversation to have between an employee and an employer. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Brad Stevens becomes available you write a blank check and fill in the blank with whatever his agent says.  Plain and simple.  

It seems that the only way we would have a chance at Stevens is if he makes himself available, rather than if the Celtics make him available.

Maybe an 8 year contract at $5.5M per year with incentives could entice him. 

1 minute ago, GrangerHoosier said:

It seems that the only way we would have a chance at Stevens is if he makes himself available, rather than if the Celtics make him available.

Maybe an 8 year contract at $5.5M per year with incentives could entice him. 

Sure, if you want Duke to steal him from us the moment Coach K retires you pay him $5.5M. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread - but the Celtics would have to fire him in the next couple of weeks for this to work, right? Stevens isn't going to pull a Bobby Petrino and quit on his team in the middle of the season and we will not go months without a head coach.

Hopefully, Dolson is not the dumbest AD in the country.  But, even if he was, I would have to think he would reach out to Stevens now, get a feel for what he thinks, and then do the interim route until after the NBA season.  

If it does not work out with brad, it sets our rebuild back a year.  If we rush to take Coach 'Available' as soon as Archie is gone, it could set us back another decade.

Brad Stevens is worth waiting on.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Brad Stevens becomes available you write a blank check and fill in the blank with whatever his agent says.  Plain and simple.  

If his agent asks for $10,000,000, I'm giving him $10,000,001 to let him know how happy I am.

• Like 1

Yep if he is for sure on the hot seat at Boston and thinks there’s any chance at all they want to move on, back up a Brinks truck to his back door. Forking up that much money would be soooo worth it in the long run and the program would make up for it and plenty more in no time at all with the success and buzz we will have back in the program. If I were him it’d be much more enticing to take a job where you would be treated like a king than to stick with an organization that is starting to talk like you’re not the guy. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why not?  I would literally pause all basketball program activities for up to a year and a half if we knew Stevens was coming.  

I can't believe this has been said twice, today.  How bad do you all want to be Alabama of college basketball?

It seems to me most basketball activities have been on pause for 4 years now

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cutter said:

It seems to me most basketball activities have been on pause for 4 years now

It's truly astonishing the question has been raised twice today if we can afford to wait on Stevens until July.  July?  I'll wait on him til Christmas.  

We are talking, possibly the biggest no brained coaching hire in a quarter century.  At least since Louisville hired Pitino.

Better than Self to kansas or Roy to UNC.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

It's truly astonishing the question has been raised twice today if we can afford to wait on Stevens until July.  July?  I'll wait on him til Christmas.  

We are talking, possibly the biggest no brained coaching hire in a quarter century.  At least since Louisville hired Pitino.

Better than Self to Illinois or Roy to UNC.  

Couldn’t agree more