Potential replacement coaches

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If his agent asks for $10,000,000, I'm giving him $10,000,001 to let him know how happy I am.

Agreed. I'm no insider but I have to believe that some of the big money boosters would be willing to pay to hire Stevens (or at least another well qualified proven power 5 coach) rather than risk going through this again in 4-5 years. I posted on the football board, but how sweet would it be for IU to have a stable (and really good) head coaches for its major sports for the next decade or two. Growing up in the 80s, I never wondered who the coach of IU would be the following season, and it would be nice to have that feeling again (while also knowing we would field solid/good/great each season). Baseball is going great at IU. So is womens hoops, and football. Let's get the mens basketball team where they are a national force again. Get it done Dolson!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

There have been numerous posts on multiple boards of people encountering him near his home....comments were health issues ...barely walk.....and he made mention of how bad his health is in interviews within past 6 ,months

Joe, I don't know but 4 days ago it was reported there is mutual interest with Penn St.  

I did see one of our posters say they saw Thad around town and didn't think he looked like he would be coaching anytime soon.  

54 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

And the way I read it is if he goes to 7 bowls in this 7 year contract it’s essentially a 14 year deal? 

You're reading it correctly. This is a fantastic structuring because its potentially an ever-stable contract that will keep him here as long as he wants to be here. The jury is out on how I'll judge Dolson for handling basketball, but this was a great move for the football program.

Brad Stevens is NOT on the hot seat in Boston. You guys out of your minds? That's nothing but a story for clicks in a mildly disappointing season. He is no longer considered just the darling of the NBA, but he would be hired on the spot by about 25 teams. Boston is not sick of him; Boston has not even internally once had a conversation about letting him go. It's a no.

4 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

Brad Stevens is NOT on the hot seat in Boston. You guys out of your minds? That's nothing but a story for clicks in a mildly disappointing season. He is no longer considered just the darling of the NBA, but he would be hired on the spot by about 25 teams. Boston is not sick of him; Boston has not even internally once had a conversation about letting him go. It's a no.

You clearly don't understand the Boston Celtics organization or fan base.  In no way do I think he's ever going to coach at IU or perhaps any other college team.  He will be fired by Boston if he isn't in the Finals within two year.   

They've won 17 world championships.  They aren't the Purdue Boilermakers who are elated with having a full gym and beating their interstate rivals. 

5 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

So it's within 2 years now. Ok. Seat is very hot! No, he would not be. And also, they still have a very good chance of doing that. Which is why his seat is not even remotely lukewarm.

Troll.  Doc Rivers won a title and coached in another Finals and was shown the door.  Stevens is on year 8.  How long do you think they'll wait?  Again... Boiler Troll this isn't your Boilermaker's set of expectations. 

9 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

We have already mostly admitted this would be a bring the family home decision, on Brad.  99.9% of us will admit he's not on the hot seat.  

I'm a troll for not nutting myself over the least realistic hire we could possibly make. The same hire this fanbase has been frothing about for years through multiple coaching changes. The guy who everyone views as an insane slam dunk (they're right), but who also has been a slam dunk in the pros and might be fired? No. I'm a fan. I'm just not dumb. Stevens is a top 10 most respected coach in the league, top 5 for many. He is not an option. He will coach the Celtics for a long time

3 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

I'm a troll for not nutting myself over the least realistic hire we could possibly make. The same hire this fanbase has been frothing about for years through multiple coaching changes. The guy who everyone views as an insane slam dunk (they're right), but who also has been a slam dunk in the pros and might be fired? No. I'm a fan. I'm just not dumb. Stevens is a top 10 most respected coach in the league, top 5 for many. He is not an option. He will coach the Celtics for a long time

Most think like you that he's never coming to IU.  The only thing I disagree with is that he will get fired from Boston if he doesn't get out of the Eastern Conference.  I base that on their history of having no coaches having longer tenures than 5 years without winning the NBA championship.  

13 minutes ago, JJack said:

Troll.  Doc Rivers won a title and coached in another Finals and was shown the door.  Stevens is on year 8.  How long do you think they'll wait?  Again... Boiler Troll this isn't your Boilermaker's set of expectations. 

You keep editing your posts. It's a weird thing to do. Boilers literally disgust me. It's pathetic of me,but it's true. Sports are absolutely not serious business, but hating Purdue fans is something I cannot kick. It is long engrained, it's a part of my being. My name is sixseis because I want a 6th a title for IU. That's not a light accusation

19 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

Have to agree here. The article https://hoopshabit.com/2021/03/08/boston-celtics-brad-stevens-danny-ainge/

Titled: Boston Celtics: ESPN reporters believe Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge are in the hot seat

Includes this quote from the owner who might know a bit more than ESPN reporters if Stevens/Ainge's seats are hot...

image.png.0dc0d668410ff5a77a8501a73f3d02ea.png

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Have to agree here. The article https://hoopshabit.com/2021/03/08/boston-celtics-brad-stevens-danny-ainge/

Titled: Boston Celtics: ESPN reporters believe Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge are in the hot seat

Includes this quote from the owner who might know a bit more than ESPN reporters if Stevens/Ainge's seats are hot...

image.png.0dc0d668410ff5a77a8501a73f3d02ea.png

image.gif.a1ea7a3d8a9ec428cfa7f5645ae86f8b.gif

1 minute ago, Sixseis said:

You keep editing your posts. It's a weird thing to do. Boilers literally disgust me. It's pathetic of me,but it's true. Sports are absolutely not serious business, but hating Purdue fans is something I cannot kick. It is long engrained, it's a part of my being. My name is sixseis because I want a 6th a title for IU. That's not a light accusation

I seriously apologize if I upset you.  I'm not trying to be weird.   

28 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

Yes, we are out of our minds.

1 minute ago, JJack said:

I seriously apologize if I upset you.  I'm not trying to be weird.   

Haha fair enough. It's not that I'm upset, but you can't just go around calling people boilers. I don't know why this board and others let that boiler troll guy post here. He only comes out when he has something to rub in our faces. Just ban that dude, why indulge that garbage

Just now, Sixseis said:

Haha fair enough. It's not that I'm upset, but you can't just go around calling people boilers. I don't know why this board and others let that boiler troll guy post here. He only comes out when he has something to rub in our faces. Just ban that dude, why indulge that garbage

That was below the belt.  At least you can admit my heart was in the right place. 

40 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

I dont think Stevens is fired...but....

NBA is a completely different beast than the NCAA. Organizations will let a coach go just to changes things up. Good coaches are let go all the time in the NBA.

For example, Frank Vogel was removed 2 years after back to back conference finals and the year he was let go the Pacers made the playoffs. He finished lower than 2nd in the central once in 6 seasons. 

"On May 5, 2016, following the loss to the Raptors, Pacers' president Larry Bird announced that Vogel's contract would not be renewed, citing a need for "a new voice" to lead the players."

Vogel just won the NBA title last year with the Lakers. Coaches in the NBA are treated completely different than the NCAA.

image.png.549f8a86a1e19d743c8ba9403828c215.png

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If his agent asks for $10,000,000, I'm giving him $10,000,001 to let him know how happy I am.

Anyone talking to Brad Stevens definitely wants to be SUPER nice to his agent during contract negotiations. If I remember correctly Brad’s wife, Tracy, represented him in talks with the Celtics. 

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

I dont think Stevens is fired...but....

NBA is a completely different beast than the NCAA. Organizations will let a coach go just to changes things up. Good coaches are let go all the time in the NBA.

For example, Frank Vogel was removed 2 years after back to back conference finals and the year he was let go the Pacers made the playoffs. He never finished lower than 2nd in the central. 

image.png.549f8a86a1e19d743c8ba9403828c215.png

That is true, but despite Vogel's success and the good pub he got during those runs he was still never considered in the upper echelon of coaches. Stevens has it made it there and rightfully so. He did not coach a great playoffs last year, but he is still in that elite group. He is very coveted

39 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

My plumber's cousin says you are wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

That is true, but despite Vogel's success and the good pub he got during those runs he was still never considered in the upper echelon of coaches. Stevens has it made it there and rightfully so. He did not coach a great playoffs last year, but he is still in that elite group. He is very coveted

Vogel just won a NBA title last year.

Again, I don't think Stevens is fired. 

But, I think Stevens takes the IU job over other NBA teams. Like the Suns, Mavericks, or whoever. 

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

But, I think Stevens takes the IU job over other NBA teams. Like the Suns, Mavericks, or whoever. 

You think he changed his mind about getting back into college?   That interview from a few years ago - he acknowledged how much better and predictable life is in the NBA.   Now that his kids are older, maybe he had a change of heart and/or wants a new challenge and timing is right for IU?

Archived