Potential replacement coaches

9 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

That is true, but despite Vogel's success and the good pub he got during those runs he was still never considered in the upper echelon of coaches. Stevens has it made it there and rightfully so. He did not coach a great playoffs last year, but he is still in that elite group. He is very coveted

Whether or not you think he would come to IU is irrelevant. 

Whether he is fired by the Celtics or not is irrelevant.

If Archie is let go, IU has to make a SERIOUS offer to Stevens.  Because, if IU does not get him in the next year or two when they have an opening, after he's done with the NBA, he'll be coming back to the college game at some point and land someplace like Duke or North Carolina.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

You think he changed his mind about getting back into college?   That interview from a few years ago - he acknowledged how much better and predictable life is in the NBA.   Now that his kids are older, maybe he had a change of heart and/or wants a new challenge and timing is right for IU?

No idea but his wife said they've had no time for vacations since he went to the NBA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

You think he changed his mind about getting back into college?   That interview from a few years ago - he acknowledged how much better and predictable life is in the NBA.   Now that his kids are older, maybe he had a change of heart and/or wants a new challenge and timing is right for IU?

Times change. Who knows?

IMO, If Stevens is fired (which he wont be), he won't base the next coaching destination on money. 

Again, its all moot. Stevens will be at Boston this time next year...   :)

Edited by JugRox

11 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Fascinating verbiage behind paywall today in IndyStar sports:

”Allen new contract a message from IU: winners will be rewarded”

Hmmm.  As in...so when we drop some coin on our next hoops coach...

Moren will be the next hoops coach to get some coin...lady Hoosiers are playing great!

Edited by HoosierJax

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

You're reading it correctly. This is a fantastic structuring because its potentially an ever-stable contract that will keep him here as long as he wants to be here. The jury is out on how I'll judge Dolson for handling basketball, but this was a great move for the football program.

Thanks for clarification 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I dont think Stevens is fired...but....

NBA is a completely different beast than the NCAA. Organizations will let a coach go just to changes things up. Good coaches are let go all the time in the NBA.

For example, Frank Vogel was removed 2 years after back to back conference finals and the year he was let go the Pacers made the playoffs. He finished lower than 2nd in the central once in 6 seasons. 

"On May 5, 2016, following the loss to the Raptors, Pacers' president Larry Bird announced that Vogel's contract would not be renewed, citing a need for "a new voice" to lead the players."

Vogel just won the NBA title last year with the Lakers. Coaches in the NBA are treated completely different than the NCAA.

image.png.549f8a86a1e19d743c8ba9403828c215.png

Completely different circumstances. Also, most coaches (Donovan is another good example) who have any sort of success in the NBA remain in the NBA (no recruiting or NCAA to deal with). Until there is any sort of news to suggest otherwise (besides fictional circumstances/whatifs), this is a total pipe dream. 

1 hour ago, Sixseis said:

Brad Stevens is NOT on the hot seat in Boston. You guys out of your minds? That's nothing but a story for clicks in a mildly disappointing season. He is no longer considered just the darling of the NBA, but he would be hired on the spot by about 25 teams. Boston is not sick of him; Boston has not even internally once had a conversation about letting him go. It's a no.

This is spot on. 

It just isn't how Wyc and Danny operate, and while they hit a little rut on their west coast trip, they won 4 straight heading into the break, Kemba is looking like his old self, and they haven't had Marcus Smart for over a month. 

Brad Stevens is not getting fired. 

46 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well you do play like 120+ games a year vs 35-40.  The season also lasts 9 months vs like 5.

You also have the draft prep and draft itself,, and summer league. You're pretty free from about Mid-August until mid-September, but that's a tight window for vacations when you have kids in school. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whether or not you think he would come to IU is irrelevant. 

Whether he is fired by the Celtics or not is irrelevant.

If Archie is let go, IU has to make a SERIOUS offer to Stevens.  Because, if IU does not get him in the next year or two when they have an opening, after he's done with the NBA, he'll be coming back to the college game at some point and land someplace like Duke or North Carolina.  

Make it worth his while. If he says no...totally get it. I’m fine...but If you don’t make a crazy offer then I don’t know what else to say. Isn’t his wife an attorney? Get her a partnership job somewhere...two paid vacations a year. Limited engagements...money....new car every year...private jet...whatever...make it happen 😝 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is spot on. 

It just isn't how Wyc and Danny operate, and while they hit a little rut on their west coast trip, they won 4 straight heading into the break, Kemba is looking like his old self, and they haven't had Marcus Smart for over a month. 

You can still buy him out. They might not be tired of him but maybe his heart has changed.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Whether he gets fired or not should have no bearing on what IU should do.  It may impact whether he accepts, but it should have no bearing on the offer itself.  The offer must be made, it must be big, and if not already made, it needs to be out there before the end of the BTT.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Whether he gets fired or not should have no bearing on what IU should do.  It may impact whether he accepts, but it should have no bearing on the offer itself.  The offer must be made, it must be big, and if not already made, it needs to be out there before the end of the BTT.  

I exactly...f the Celtics (sorry @BGleas ).  Think outside the box but make the job the most attractive you could think. Make working for the Celtics seem like work. Make the IU job so glamorous that he would be crazy to turn you down. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still can't believe we have fans who thinks we really have a shot at Stevens.  Every outlet I have seen especially nationally makes fun of our fan base thinking that Stevens would leave Boston for IU.

I’m sure my friends would make fun of me for thinking I had a shot at my wife...but who has the last laugh! The world is full of people achieving great things because they ignored what everyone said was impossible and went for their goals.

you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Isn’t that the saying.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I still can't believe we have fans who thinks we really have a shot at Stevens.  Every outlet I have seen especially nationally makes fun of our fan base thinking that Stevens would leave Boston for IU.

Honestly I haven’t seen much of anyone think we do. Virtually everyone in most of their posts mention again and again that it’s a pipe dream

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

Scott.  No one is saying it's going to be easy.  But, don't come back on here in 4 years crying when Stevens is in North Carolina.  

The fact is that none of us know what is most important to Stevens.  And, you can't win the lottery if you don't play. 

IU HAS TO OFFER REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE THINK THE CHANCES ARE!

• Like 7

Just now, 5fouls said:

Scott.  No one is saying it's going to be easy.  But, don't come back on here in 4 years crying when Stevens is in North Carolina.  

The fact is that none of us know what is most important to Stevens.  And, you can't win the lottery if you don't play. 

IU HAS TO OFFER REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE THINK THE CHANCES ARE!

Yes I feel we have a better shot winning the lottery but you can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure my friends would make fun of me for thinking I had a shot at my wife...but who has the last laugh! The world is full of people achieving great things because they ignored what everyone said was impossible and went for their goals.

you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Isn’t that the saying.

Go out and try to get him but I don't see him accepting the job.  I just think our fans really over values this job compared what reality says it is.

• Like 2