Potential replacement coaches

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  No one is saying it's going to be easy.  But, don't come back on here in 4 years crying when Stevens is in North Carolina.  

The fact is that none of us know what is most important to Stevens.  And, you can't win the lottery if you don't play. 

IU HAS TO OFFER REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE THINK THE CHANCES ARE!

Don't see him at any college because I see him staying in the NBA.  I never said not to make a legit offer but stating I don't see him accepting.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Go out and try to get him but I don't see him accepting the job.  I just think our fans really over values this job compared what reality says it is.

And, if you would have asked this girl a week before it happened what she thought her odds of going to the prom with Teddy Bridgewater, she would have laughed in your face.

https://www.wave3.com/story/29024133/teen-surprised-by-football-star-for-prom/

You gotta ask Scott.  That's all anyone is saying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, if you would have asked this girl a week before it happened what she thought her odds of going to the prom with Teddy Bridgewater, she would have laughed in your face.

https://www.wave3.com/story/29024133/teen-surprised-by-football-star-for-prom/

You gotta ask Scott.  That's all anyone is saying.

How many times do i have to say that you go out and make an offer but I DON'T THINK HE WOULD ACCEPT.  I don't know if you are not reading all of my post or just seeing what you want to see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still can't believe we have fans who thinks we really have a shot at Stevens.  Every outlet I have seen especially nationally makes fun of our fan base thinking that Stevens would leave Boston for IU.

This is your first post in the discussion.  Where exactly did you say we should go ahead and make an offer.  You didn't.  But, you did imply people would laugh at us if we tried.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whether he gets fired or not should have no bearing on what IU should do.  It may impact whether he accepts, but it should have no bearing on the offer itself.  The offer must be made, it must be big, and if not already made, it needs to be out there before the end of the BTT.  

I never said IU shouldn't ask. Of course they should, but its basically window dressing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I never said IU shouldn't ask. Of course they should, but its basically window dressing. 

How confident are you he would turn us down if IU offered $10 million a year?

My questions is not whether IU would offer that much.  My questions is 'if they did', what would Stevens do?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My questions is not whether IU would offer that much.  My questions is 'if they did', what would Stevens do?

To me the only way he would accept the job at IU is if he is fired from Boston.  I don't see him leaving Boston if he is still employed for any amount of money.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

$10M per year? Probably 85-90% confident he stays. Anything less, 99.9999999999%. 

Just my opinion. I'm 99.9999999% confident that the Celtics are not firing him anytime soon. 

I could be wrong. 

I think there is a greater chance that Stevens takes over for Ainge at some point, serving as not just the coach but the President too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Stevens said no to us before, I wonder what was IU's attitude and demeanor when it reached out to Stevens. Were they just checking? or did they show enough sincerity and desperation for his services? At the minimum, if Dolson is going to reach out to him this time, he must approach this with great sense of urgency just like Ohio State did for Holtman. That's the minimum. If Stevens still says no, nothing we can do. But IU really needs to be honest about its efforts to win Stevens' heart because it is IU that needs him, not the other way around. IU must be willing to go above and beyond this time. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Go out and try to get him but I don't see him accepting the job.  I just think our fans really over values this job compared what reality says it is.

Maybe....🤷‍♂️ I think in college basketball in coaches circle it is still a huge job. Resources, pay, conference. It’s set up with a good coach to take them all the way. If a coach sees that they will see the potential. If they don’t they aren’t the right coach.  Will it work on Stevens. Maybe maybe not...but you can’t just assume he won’t come and not bring your “A” game. I’m fine if he turns us down...but I want to offer the moon first.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

$10M per year? Probably 85-90% confident he stays. Anything less, 99.9999999999%. 

Just my opinion. I'm 99.9999999% confident that the Celtics are not firing him anytime soon. 

I could be wrong. 

I think there is a greater chance that Stevens takes over for Ainge at some point, serving as not the coach but the President too. 

Why not take over as the AD after he wins a couple NC here? 😆

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess some people may overvalue IU job, but I think you're clearly undervaluing it. Sure IU job has lost its lust comparing to coach Knight era or right after he was let go, but why do you think the national media talks about Archie being on a hot seat? If people are not interested, they don't talk about it. IU still is a brand name in college basketball, but it won't be so after 10 years. Or maybe we only have 5 years left to get back to relevance, otherwise, we'd be forgotten and would remain 2nd tier permanently. Archie hire was a very important one, but we know the result. Now this upcoming hire is much more important than the previous one; everything about IU basketball depends on it. If IU admin fails one more time, I'm not sure if IU's ever going to recover. Certainly, we don't want IU job to be seen as a grave for up and coming young coaches. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t want to hear any excuses. Purdue had a guy go to the moon. IU can land Brad Stevens....ok I kid. As long as we make a legit offer you can’t hold him hostage. But at least try.

Dude...landing Stevens would be way cooler than the Moon.

Plus...did they get to the moon? 🤔

image.gif.b930992ed96b92cf109e742439079365.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I guess some people may overvalue IU job, but I think you're clearly undervaluing it. Sure IU job has lost its lust comparing to coach Knight era or right after he was let go, but why do you think the national media talks about Archie being on a hot seat? If people are not interested, they don't talk about it. IU still is a brand name in college basketball, but it won't be so after 10 years. Or maybe we only have 5 years left to get back to relevance, otherwise, we'd be forgotten and would remain 2nd tier permanently. Archie hire was a very important one, but we know the result. Now this upcoming hire is much more important than the previous one; everything about IU basketball depends on it. If IU admin fails one more time, I'm not sure if IU's ever going to recover. Certainly, we don't want IU job to be seen as a grave for up and coming young coaches. 

I don’t think we will ever be seen as a waste land. I mean look at Baylor...gone through a horrible scandal...what 50 years not winning a conference title...took one mid major conference coach to turn it around. We are always one coach away from turning it around...still I want to be alive when we hire them.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe....🤷‍♂️ I think in college basketball in coaches circle it is still a huge job. Resources, pay, conference. It’s set up with a good coach to take them all the way. If a coach sees that they will see the potential. If they don’t they aren’t the right coach.  Will it work on Stevens. Maybe maybe not...but you can’t just assume he won’t come and not bring your “A” game. I’m fine if he turns us down...but I want to offer the moon first.

I just see some of our fans put the expectations on a hire so high they will bound to be disappointed.  How many of the 12 coaches UCLA hired since Wooden has their fans thought was a great hire.  do you think they were thrilled when they promoted Steve Lavin or the hires of Alford and Cronin.  I am sure they thought they Could get Few or Self to come to UCLA but couldn't.  Even though these two programs are probably not considered blue bloods but they have won multiple championships the last 20 years.  When UCONN had openings lately they got Kevin Ollie and Danny Hurley.  Florid had a great run with Donovan and won two championships and all they could hire was mike white.

It has been 40 years since duke had to hire a new coach so we have no idea who they will hire wen the time comes.  UNC and KU has had the same coach for 18 years so we have no idea who they will hire when they have an opening.  KU was coming off a championship in 1988 and Larry brown left and they hired an assistant coach from UNC as their head coach.

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  No one is saying it's going to be easy.  But, don't come back on here in 4 years crying when Stevens is in North Carolina.  

The fact is that none of us know what is most important to Stevens.  And, you can't win the lottery if you don't play. 

IU HAS TO OFFER REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE THINK THE CHANCES ARE!

IU will not make an offer. It simply isn't in the cards. Brad Stevens has been reached out to by IU in the past, has connections there now, and a deep understanding of where the two parties lie. Open and shut he will not become our next coach.

You and others keep saying you know it probably won't happen, but anything could! You're just playing along with the fantasy. This "godfather offer" scenario you've worked up is just an extension of that fantasy.

It's reasonable to hope for the best, although this kind of thing does make our fanbase look ridiculous and spoiled. As we have painfully learned several times since Knight IU is not a university willing to make the grandslam hire. With luck one of these Archie's or Sampson's will work out. I thought Archie would. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

IU will not make an offer. It simply isn't in the cards. Brad Stevens has been reached out to by IU in the past, has connections there now, and a deep understanding of where the two parties lie. Open and shut he will not become our next coach.

You and others keep saying you know it probably won't happen, but anything could! You're just playing along with the fantasy. This "godfather offer" scenario you've worked up is just an extension of that fantasy.

It's reasonable to hope for the best, although this kind of thing does make our fanbase look ridiculous and spoiled. As we have painfully learned several times since Knight IU is not a university willing to make the grandslam hire. With luck one of these Archie's or Sampson's will work out. I thought Archie would. 

Do you think it's possible Brad Stevens will ever coach in college again?  5 years, 10 years down the road.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This job is without question a top 10 job. Too much talent in the state and great (and crazy) fan base will always make it that