Potential replacement coaches

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

We can view the dichotomy of fans right here....we have the fans who say we settle for nothing but the best....we go all out...worst that could happen is a coach like Stevens says no.....then we have the rinse, cycle, repeat fans who think we are good giving some midmajor 4-5 years to ply his trade and then get fired....bullshit, IMO....keep it up and assembly hall will look like a ghost town in a decade

Don't want a mid major but I think that Stevens or a Bennett is not coming here.  I think the best we could do is probably drew or beard and it is no guarantee they would accept the job.  I know he is on the older side but get Beilein in here and give us a good 6 years and stabilize the program.  Maybe in 5 or 6 years Stevens will be ready to come home LOL!

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

Beard won’t happen....what’s the draw for him? He’s got it made where he is....I don’t get the Drew draw but whatever....Beiliein I am warming up to the idea if he is good to come back to coaching....give him 5 years and a secession plan

I don't think either would come so what are you left with that wouldn't be a gamble

11 minutes ago, Sixseis said:

Extremely unlikely, but wilder things have happened.

So, when you say IU should not even bother offering, you're basically conceding that if Stevens returns to college, it would be at someplace like Duke or UNC.  Because, I highly doubt those schools will not sit on their hands when the time comes.  

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, when you say IU should not even bother offering, you're basically conceding that if Stevens returns to college, it would be at someplace like Duke or UNC.  Because, I highly doubt those schools will not sit on their hands when the time comes.  

No, I'm only conceding that we can't say anything for certain in 5 or 10 years

1 minute ago, Bushmage said:

I hope anybody who doesn't want us to throw an offer at someone because there is a strong chance they decline is happy with the next mid major hire we get. 

Yep.  Who's the coach at Colgate?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where does this logic end by the way guys? Should we not offer Drew or Beilein? And what is the rationalization? Offering Brad Stevens and him saying no would be embarrassing?

We embarrass ourselves on a weekly basis for 40 minutes already. Where this pride is coming from is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I will never understand how some of our own fans can’t grasp that.

I just go buy the past hiring's and the names that was associated with the openings.  I just don't see elite coaches knocking down the door to come coach here.

Edited by IU Scott

6 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I hope anybody who doesn't want us to throw an offer at someone because there is a strong chance they decline is happy with the next mid major hire we get. 

Still haven't see anyone say not go out and offer Stevens but most can realize he probably won't accept.  I think most fans will not be satisfied with the next hire no matter who it is.  Unless we can get Drew or Beard I think all the other names out there would generate part of the fan base to be upset.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

We're all going to have to be happy with the hire. Like I said, IU should offer Stevens. But he's not coming, not now. 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  Who's the coach at Colgate?

Matt Langel.  But he's been there 10 years and has a .500 winning percentage.  He's just caught fire the past couple years.  He can recruit Indiana though...he's got a Fort Wayne kid on the team, ha ha.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Where does this logic end by the way guys? Should we not offer Drew or Beilein? And what is the rationalization? Offering Brad Stevens and him saying no would be embarrassing?

We embarrass ourselves on a weekly basis for 40 minutes already. Where this pride is coming from is beyond me.

Funny. Nobody said we shouldn't offer. Nobody said it would be embarrassing for him to decline. 

Every message on here gets twisted and no one ever has an honest conversation. 

• Like 1

What was said was we are nationally embarrassing ourselves for even thinking he would come here. I'm saying this self defeatist attitude will put us firmly at an unproven mid major coach as our ceiling. If you aren't explicitly saying don't offer him, I guess I don't know why it would matter to you what the national media thinks of the prospect. It's just irrelevant to what we have in front of us.

Based on the varied viewpoints on this thread, I think it goes to show how difficult it is to get a coach that will get us back to the top. There is definitely one situation that has the perfect timing when an established coach is available or catching lightning in a bottle with an up and coming coach. I think IU should listen to who has interest first instead of allegedly how they focused only on Archie in the last search. Not sold on Drew, but was surprised to hearhe’s been at Baylor for 18 years. I get the IU guy philosophy, but who is established head coach and can hit the ground running?  Just proved my point, I guess...

What was said was we are nationally embarrassing ourselves for even thinking he would come here. I'm saying this self defeatist attitude will put us firmly at an unproven mid major coach as our ceiling. If you aren't explicitly saying don't offer him, I guess I don't know why it would matter to you what the national media thinks of the prospect. It's just irrelevant to what we have in front of us.

I said the national media makes fun of our fan base for thinking that Stevens would come here.  Never said anything about offering or being embarrassed about him turning us down.

2 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

What was said was we are nationally embarrassing ourselves for even thinking he would come here. I'm saying this self defeatist attitude will put us firmly at an unproven mid major coach as our ceiling. If you aren't explicitly saying don't offer him, I guess I don't know why it would matter to you what the national media thinks of the prospect. It's just irrelevant to what we have in front of us

No, that's not what was said. I find the fans embarrassing - not the university. Not all fans, mostly the type on message boards

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I said the national media makes fun of our fan base for thinking that Stevens would come here.  Never said anything about offering or being embarrassed about him turning us down.

And I'm saying who cares? Why does that matter at all to any of us? I do think I misread you though so I apologize, but why is this even something to think about?

Just now, Bushmage said:

And I'm saying who cares? Why does that matter at all to any of us? I do think I misread you though so I apologize, but why is this even something to think about?

Because they talk about how delusional this fan base is and I don't like hearing that stuff even if it is true.  Like I have said in the past that our fan base can be the best thing and the worst thing about this program.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because they talk about how delusional this fan base is and I don't like hearing that stuff even if it is true.  Like I have said in the past that our fan base can be the best thing and the worst thing about this program.  

I can't disagree with the latter half of your post at all. We get in our own way so often and it sucks to see/watch. But at this point, we have already dragged ourselves through proverbial mud for several years and I think at some point we have to abandon our insecurities. We are a bad program on the verge of being permanently average. We have to be irrationally positive right now to keep the sentiment alive that IU deserves a big name coach, or else we will never get it done.

Edited by Bushmage

I can't disagree with the latter half of your post at all. We get in our own way so often and it sucks to see/watch. But at this point, we have already dragged ourselves through proverbial mud for several years and I think at some point we have to abandon our insecurities. We are a bad program on the verge of being permanently average. We have to be irrationally positive right now to keep the sentiment alive that IU deserves a big name coach, or else we will never get it done.

Well as fans we can be as positive as we can but that doesn't mean those top coaches will be interested.  Go out and offer the bank to them and see who is interested but guys like Stevens or Donovan probably are not walking through the door.